Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What if it’s the only way Gerrard will be sacked ?

Yes, a long losing streak is what will get Gerrard sacked. And I’m unhappy about it, I want him gone now to avoid us losing too many games. If by a miracle Gerrard turned it around and won enough games to end on 60 points and avoid getting sacked I would be happy. We all know deep down that it not going to end like that, he will continue his failed formation and we will lose games until the owners have had enough and sack him. I wish he get sacked sooner rather than later.

29 minutes ago, bobzy said:

FWIW, I think he has implemented a slightly different style of play and, somewhat ironically, it's what a lot of people on here were crying out for - "possession football".

I've noticed that we're far less pro-risk in the middle of the pitch and are looking for more incisive passes, which has often lead to the game being slowed down.  Mostly, this has been because our opponents (or, at least, Bournemouth and Palace) were very effective at either occupying defensive space (Bournemouth) or pressing our midfield (Palace).  But the ball doesn't get moved forwards as quickly - even if as a long-ball/hoof/whatever people were complaining about.

This, coupled with the fact that our defence has turned into utter poop, has meant we look poor.  We don't break down teams well enough and just can't defend set pieces at all to save our lives.

Edit:  We actually have a squad that is suited to more counter-attacking football and should embrace that.

I don’t think possession football equals to completely vacating the midfield…

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Here’s a hypothetical question for everyone. Which scenario would you prefer?

a) We get 11 points from the next 5 games and then Gerrard gets rest of the season. 

b) we keep losing until Gerrard gets the sack. 

why would anyone not want option A? it would likely mean us winning at either arsenal or leicester and avoiding defeat to city. sounds pretty good to me

i dont think it would happen in a month of sundays,  but it would be great if it did

29 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Lose on Sunday and VP will turn for sure.

There were some boos from the away support against Palace… not helped of course by the manager and captain running down the tunnel and failing to acknowledge or appreciate those fans. One of the few that did? Our former captain…

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I assume there is no further update needed unless something changes drastically, based on those figures. Lol

Well I may have changed my mind overnight and wanted him to stay and comment like that on that thread.

ok I couldn’t keep a straight face writing that!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Shows how misleading stats can be.

In the run at the back end of last season, we only lost by more than 1 goal once (Spurs, 4-0) and played 4 out of the top 5 in the league.  Whilst you'd have hoped for better results, the ones that happened weren't that poor on paper.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

why would anyone not want option A? it would likely mean us winning at either arsenal or leicester and avoiding defeat to city. sounds pretty good to me

i dont think it would happen in a month of sundays,  but it would be great if it did

I would love this to get turned around I genuinely would. But I’m tired of the experiment now. No one can convince me Gerrard has a clue what he’s doing. And I’m not going to wait for his next coach to come in and do his job for him when critchley leaves for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Here’s a hypothetical question for everyone one. Which scenario would you prefer?

a) We get 11 points from the next 5 games and then Gerrard gets rest of the season. 

b) we keep losing until Gerrard gets the sack. 

It all depends on how much the board is prepared to endure, are they ready to risk him relegating us? 

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What if it’s the only way Gerrard will be sacked ?

? Deriving pleasure? No, of course not and how? 🤣

Losing games? Well of course, but how does that make anyone happy? 6 wins is all he has after 9 months, he should already have been sacked imo.

It’s not pleasurable at all and it hasn’t been under his tenure, it’s just inevitable he will have to go if we keep losing (which we will, the way it’s been going) but the longer we leave it, the more damage and the more work there is for the next guy.

Pleasure comes with winning and positive, exciting performances, regardless of who the manager is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Leicester and West Ham with where they are at should be winnable, along with Saints at home. Arsenal and City obvs expect defeats, but pretty much all our games under Gerrard against top sides have been tight. Plus we are unlikely to get done on the counter like Palace. VAR probably still screw us though.

Â