Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

It’s really simple. Gerrard has to get us to 7th this season. As soon as he appears not being able to get us to 7th, he will be sacked. That point is very close imo and therefore Herrard needs to massively improve.

41 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It’s really simple. Gerrard has to get us to 7th this season. As soon as he appears not being able to get us to 7th, he will be sacked. That point is very close imo and therefore Herrard needs to massively improve.

Where do the other teams go? 

• Like 1

Just now, Rolta said:

Where do the other teams go? 

Who cares about other teams.

The target is 7th, we know that and Gerrard knows that. The moment it looks like he’s failing he will be sacked and Villa move on.  

• Like 1

Sod XGoal, Somebody needs to invent XSquad, because despite us picking at it, it is a squad that should be performing higher than it is.

Said it before, players are more invested when they think they are competing for places.  Gerrard with his “undroppables” reduces that and also creates inconsistent performances as players simply cannot sustain the rigours of the Premier League week in week out without some form of rotation.

Its poor management and appears to be coupled with poor communication amongst the group

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Who cares about other teams.

The target is 7th, we know that and Gerrard knows that. The moment it looks like he’s failing he will be sacked and Villa move on.  

It's just words though. We have one new first team player technically and other teams have invested loads. Very few managers could get us to 7th. The Prem has plenty of good teams and we can't just say we want that and anything else is a sacking.

That's not me defending Gerrard. I just thought it was a weird thing to say.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rolta said:

It's just words though. We have one new first team player technically and other teams have invested loads. Very few managers could get us to 7th. The Prem has plenty of good teams and we can't just say we want that and anything else is a sacking.

That's not me defending Gerrard. I just thought it was a weird thing to say.

Yeah, I am a bit confused as well tbh. Everton had one of the greatest managers the modern game have ever seen, and he got them to 12th and 10th in about the same amount of time Gerrard would have if we gave him this whole season. 

I think we all need to manage our expectations a bit.

• Like 1

Let's stop making excuses for the management he was given a transfer kitty a preseason now time to deliver I don't want to see same mistakes as last year and poor play.Side's spend quarter of us finishing higher.

Edited by ozvilla28

On 17/08/2022 at 17:23, Tomaszk said:

Yes the club are trying to do better. What club doesn't?

The question is why did they replace Smith with Gerrard? 

To progress can be the only answer and we have not.

Fortunately for the club some fans now say without new players Gerrard can't get top half. I would hope the club haven't eased off in their ambitions so easily.

I also hope they've seen something not evident on the pitch that they have made the right choice. Moving Smith on was never the issue, changing to Gerrard was. Made no sense at the time and still looks the wrong decision.

Study the press conference, when SG arrived and listen to Purslow, explaining the reason, for his appointment, what type of character SG is.....or write to him and ask him, yourself......I am tired of telling you what I think, for you to just disagree.....what do you want me to do? If I can see something, I believe in and the hierarchy, so be it......You don't believe in him, so what.

I think the team is better, but we have just started the new season, 2 games in.....so we need to see how he gets on with a pre season behind him.

There is no answer to your stance, that you persist with, because we haven't played the games this season to establish one way or the other, if we are improving our results.

I think without the right players, no team can improve.....we are no exception, right now, sadly, he has brought in 1 first team player......hardly profile changing is it.

We now have a NEW first team coach, just about knows where the toilets are, and you are casting judgement.

So who did you want as manager?....That prompts you to persistently deny SG an opportunity to improve us.....has it ever dawned on you, that you could be wrong....He has brought in Digne, Coutinho,Carlos and Kamara....no mean feat eh!!

• Like 1

On 17/08/2022 at 17:36, MaVilla said:

Replacing Smith 100% wasnt the wrong decision, anyone who thinks his time hadn't come is using some super thick claret & blue tinted glasses.

Whether we replaced him with the right manager though, is clearly debatable.

It is.....but a full season would be handy to judge him, properly.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

It is.....but a full season would be handy to judge him, properly.

Oh I don’t know…

It’s much more fun to select the run of matches where his performance was worst, repeat those statistics over and over, and call for his sacking NOW!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Oh I don’t know…

It’s much more fun to select the run of matches where his performance was worst, repeat those statistics over and over, and call for his sacking NOW!

Briny, you are a tinker.

The irony is, I don't quite like the marauding full backs, because, I don't think we have the strength in midfield to play it, and it leaves us vulnerable on the counter attack, but he has to work these things out for himself.

If it results in us losing games, he will have to change it, or get midfielders who can make it work.

Some folk, seem to think, to like a manager, means you like everything they do.

Edited by TRO

19 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Oh I don’t know…

Ah, I'm afraid not.

What many talk about are the most recent games he's had. Which nearly all stink. If you're picking games, the most recent make the most sense to look at no?

It is the crowd who believe he's fantastic because his name isn't Dean Smith who enjoyed spreading out results and saying look hypothetical 9th, isn't that great. 

No. It's not when all the points were gained when he first came in and the performance and points return has been on a downward slope for nearly his whole time here.

Here's to Gerrard turning it round and delivering on the pitch.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Ah, I'm afraid not.

What many talk about are the most recent games he's had. Which nearly all stink. If you're picking games, the most recent make the most sense to look at no?

It is the crowd who believe he's fantastic because his name isn't Dean Smith who enjoyed spreading out results and saying look hypothetical 9th, isn't that great. 

No. It's not when all the points were gained when he first came in and the performance and points return has been on a downward slope for nearly his whole time here.

Here's to Gerrard turning it round and delivering on the pitch.

He’s only had two games with the current squad so maybe wait a few more matches to see how it’s going?

And maybe stop obsessing about last season, which is over and done?

And in particular perhaps stop obsessing over Dean Smith, who was sacked quite a long time ago now?

Look to the future, onwards and upwards!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You seem to be doing a lot of the same thing you were sarcastically chastising last season:

What prompted the change of heart? It can't be the performances, surely?

I genuinely have no idea what point you are trying to make by (selectively) quoting those posts.

I do find it scary that you keep an archive of my posts that you can quote from. I don’t have an archive of yours!

There is little point to this obsession with the past and Dean Smith. As I just mentioned I the post above, he was sacked some time ago.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I genuinely have no idea what point you are trying to make by (selectively) quoting those posts.

I do find it scary that you keep an archive of my posts that you can quote from. I don’t have an archive of yours!

There is little point to this obsession with the past and Dean Smith. As I just mentioned I the post above, he was sacked some time ago.

I think it's quite obvious the point I'm making here. I also didn't mention Dean Smith oddly enough 🤔

But yes you're right I keep archived folders of posts for certain posters. Not like I can go to certain threads from certain dates and just see the posts clear as day or anything.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

He’s only had two games with the current squad so maybe wait a few more matches to see how it’s going?

And maybe stop obsessing about last season, which is over and done?

And in particular perhaps stop obsessing over Dean Smith, who was sacked quite a long time ago now?

Look to the future, onwards and upwards!

A good performance at Man City on the last day of the season always seems to be conveniently skipped as well. ( Probably only because SG wanted Liverpool to win the title of course 🙄)

If you mention the ppg of 9th it gets rubbished ( even though it's factual ) , but the negative metrics stand.

Bournemouth was horrendous, Everton was better.

And yes, alot of people won't admit that they are straight up still bitter about Dean, some ( Not on this board ) have admitted so to me privately.

We all have our concerns but this is tedious.

I'm hoping we can get some good performances and unexpected positive results to try and assemble some sort of comradery again.

The factionism doesn't feel good.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A good performance at Man City on the last day of the season always seems to be conveniently skipped as well. ( Probably only because we SG wanted Liverpool to win the title of course )

If you mention the ppg of 9th it gets rubbished ( even though it's factual ) , but the negative metrics stand.

Bournemouth was horrendous, Everton was better.

And yes, alot of people won't admit that they are straight up still bitter about Dean, some ( Not on this board ) have admitted so to me privately.

We all have our concerns but this is tedious.

I'm hoping we can get some good performances and unexpected positive results to try and assemble some sort of comradely again.

The factionism doesn't feel good.

Everything about us is tedious atm. Carlos getting injured impacts us both on the pitch and as fans when we’ve to wonder if or how well replace him for the season. Even after the Everton win I couldn’t get excited or be optimistic about the season, it might take a few games but the problem is after palace we’ve a tough set of fixtures (not that palace isn’t a tough fixture). I’ve found myself already fed up of Gerrard when I was originally very optimistic, his press conferences and interviews are all the same and we don’t see the changes he talks about. Saturday is huge because I don’t see us doing well in the next 3/4 after. 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

You seem to be doing a lot of the same thing you were sarcastically chastising last season:

What prompted the change of heart? It can't be the performances, surely?

I wouldn't bother. Seeing how many British pundits can't see past a name it's not surprising that some fans can't either.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The hypocrisy is mad. I'd have more respect if people just admitted they didn't like Smith. 

As @Keybladedemonstrated, it's pretty easy to search back and I'm sure we can all remember the main culprits over the last few years who now hold a completely different viewpoint because the manager is no longer Dean Smith. 

• Like 2

Â