Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

5 hours ago, allani said:

Let's also not forget that Conte offered to resign because things weren't working and there were few positive signs at all.  I think that was a genius move as almost immediately their form improved.  Similarly, plenty of people called for Arteta to be sacked at the start of last season.  Previously Sir AF was reputedly one cup goal away from being sacked.  That said Gerrard is definitely entering the danger zone and needs to see some improvement soon otherwise his dream of becoming an elite manager is in danger of going up in smoke.

I think Gerrard could go on to become an elite manager…. It just might not be with us.

36 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I think Howe is a very fair comparison. 

Not only is he hitting with his transfers he is also getting much more out of the pre existing players.

Whereas Gerrard is moaning about more signings instead of focusing getting more out of what he's got. 

I agree and no doubt the people in the boardroom will be looking at Newcastle and wondering why they are above us in the league 

37 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Based on what exactly? 

We've not seen anything to suggest that can be the case.

We haven’t no, but just a gut feeling he will learn, not saying he will achieve that here, and it might take ten more years of plying his trade but just a vibe I get. 

Gregg Evans done a damage limitation piece in The Athletic. Basically says Gerrard uses the ‘look me in the eye’ phrase all the time. Mings is chilled, there is no falling out. But most worryingly, that he sees Konsa and Carlos as his strongest CB pairing and they are likely to start vs Everton.

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

But most worryingly, that he sees Konsa and Carlos as his strongest CB pairing and they are likely to start vs Everton.

If he sees Konsa and McGinn as both being in his first 11, we aren't going to be winning many games.

I also get the impression (presuming that Evans is being a mouthpiece for the club here) that they are none too happy with Paul McGrath adding fuel to the fire, describing it as a ‘wrong call’.

Edited by WallisFrizz

7 hours ago, allani said:

They are actually pretty much exactly the same.  If the records were identical after 21 matches - it would read 6.79 wins, 4.32 draws and 9.88 defeats.  So basically we've drawn 1 match that we should have won.  Given the small sample size I think that is as good as the same.  Win against Everton and Gerrard's becomes slightly better. 

However, the point is that Gerrard's record is not better and certainly not significantly better and so he needs to get some results soon otherwise the Board will be asking him some pretty damn serious questions.

At the end of the day neither of those records is good enough.

Covid outbreak for Gerrard? Inability to field your chosen team due to injury etc. Gerrard has been playing on easy mode, Dean not so much! 

7 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Well people are entitled to there opinions, but a majority have no coaching ability or knowledge to back their opinions. We don’t know what goes on behind closed doors, the interaction with players etc etc

My waiting 12 months is based on the science of coaching and what needs to be done across the board to enact a coaching/ tactic or style. This is based on the development of many different sports over the last 150 years. Not reacting to a result because it’s not the result we want.

Ive watched Villa play since 1976 and it doesn’t make me a better supporter or more knowledgeable than any other supporter just becuase I’ve coached football and worked at a professional football club in Australia. We don’t know everything far too many coaches are sacked based on results and far to early for them to make the change required to get a team to a style.

I see contradiction after contradiction every day on this site from forum users saying this coach is crap, then the same coach is good 12 months later, same happens with players, administrators, playing style  etc etc.

I’ll stick to the science and give the manager the opportunity to implement  his style, I’m not going to react after one poor game. If there’s no reaction against Everton then his days may well be short.

Not read that book you are referring to. Does it cover the introduction of the sport scientists, nutritionists, video coaches and much bigger coaching staffs that managers and coaches at big clubs like ours have available to them now compared to only say  5-10 years ago?

The sheer amount of data, learning aid's, video, stats and information you have available to use at your fingertips compared to when you had a whiteboard and some blue and red dots to get your tactic across means the results are expected to come quicker.

Most clubs are not gonna pay a guy £5m a year and then be content with waiting a year before it clicks. That's not how sport works anymore. You might feel that's wrong, but that's how it is.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dale said:

Covid outbreak for Gerrard? Inability to field your chosen team due to injury etc. Gerrard has been playing on easy mode, Dean not so much! 

Picking up a team mid-season and not having a chance to work on the ideas that you wanted to implement.  There are excuses you can throw in either direction.  Let's be honest if it hadn't been for the fact that the season stopped because of Covid we would almost certainly have been relegated the season before.  The point is that neither record is good enough over an extended period of time.  Smith had a chance to turn it around and didn't.  Gerrard is rapidly closing in on the same amount of opportunity and needs to get a response otherwise he'll be in big danger too.

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Gerrard 2022 record is probably worse than Smith in 2021 and our performances are getting worse at the moment

Smith had beaten Chelsea, Arsenal, United and Spurs in 2021 

Selective use of data.  In 2021 he only won 7 of the other 27 matches - fair to say that a number of those were against teams that we "should be beating".  You don't get extra points at the end of the season for effort by beating teams at the top of the table and losing to teams at the bottom of the table.

Edited by allani
Correcting error in original post

7 hours ago, allani said:

Let's also not forget that Conte offered to resign because things weren't working and there were few positive signs at all.  I think that was a genius move as almost immediately their form improved.  Similarly, plenty of people called for Arteta to be sacked at the start of last season.  Previously Sir AF was reputedly one cup goal away from being sacked.  That said Gerrard is definitely entering the danger zone and needs to see some improvement soon otherwise his dream of becoming an elite manager is in danger of going up in smoke.

Conte took over in November. 6 months later Spurs were finishing 4th. Idiots were calling for Arteta to be sacked, he quickly had them tightened up at the back at and there were clear signs they were heading in the right direction. He also had a toxic dressing room to deal with, and it has now been dealt with. Massive progress.  

Another day, another failing manager compared to Alex Ferguson. A literal knight of the realm. 

5 minutes ago, allani said:

Selective use of data.  In 2021 he only won 3 of the other 27 matches - fair to say that a number of those were against teams that we "should be beating".  You don't get extra points at the end of the season for effort by beating teams at the top of the table and losing to teams at the bottom of the table.

Smith won 11 matches in 2021

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Conte took over in November. 6 months later Spurs were finishing 4th. Idiots were calling for Arteta to be sacked, he quickly had them tightened up at the back at and there were clear signs they were heading in the right direction. He also had a toxic dressing room to deal with, and it has now been dealt with. Massive progress.  

Another day, another failing manager compared to Alex Ferguson. A literal knight of the realm. 

At least Gerrard is working on getting that toxic dressing room here. Getting there.

• Like 1

Comparing Conte and Howe with Gerrard is unfair...

Gerrard in my opinion is a rookie manager, has managed in a two-horse joke league and Villa took a BIG chance on him!

Conte is one of the World's best coaches and Howe has experience in the PL and Championship.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

There is no logical, valid or sensible statistical basis for comparing Smith's 2021 performance with Gerrard's 2022 performance.

Just saying.

(Also, please tell us where you are hiding the stolen 7 matches.)

The 7 games Gerrard managed in 2021 which is not the year we are talking about

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Comparing Conte and Howe with Gerrard is unfair...

Gerrard in my opinion is a rookie manager, has managed in a two-horse joke league and Villa took a BIG chance on him!

Conte is one of the World's best coaches and Howe has experience in the PL and Championship.

I don’t think anybody compared them did they?They were talking about what a top manager could potentially do if took over after 10-15 games. Doesn’t have to mean the seasons over. 

I think the Arteta comparison is a better one. He had no managerial experience at all and fans wanted him sacked big time.

Â