Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

We don't need to get rid of Gerrard.

We need a top defensive coach and a better striker.

Attacking wise, we are excellent. JJ and Coutinho are really running the show, we will break through any defence and we can create really good chances.

In my opinion, Gerrard's input is clear to see, I like the style, it's free flowing beautiful football,  but the defence needs to be more solid. 

2/3 more signings, a good defensive coach, and I would not be surprised if next year we have a season like Wolves/Man U and I'd be happy with that. 

I still think we need more than that, mentally we are weak in the team and that’s  about personalities in the team than purely coaching.

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

My expectations for Gerrard would be to visibly improve the team during the summer. Not mainly through new signings, rather by establishing a more effective way of playing. He and his staff, working with the team on the training pitch.

If he can do that I will happily take my hat off. But if we early in next season still complain about not having the players needed, that for me would prove there’s nothing more to hope for from him.

Agree.

But there hasn't been much to suggest he can do that.

We seem to be giving the summer a whole load of cash - just to absolutely certain he isn't right for us.

Imo that's more of a gamble than making a change.

Just now, Zatman said:

He managed us for about 6 months in the Championship 

Yeah but the point being gerrards coming in to a tougher league than when smith came in.  Bruce was massively under achieving in the championship as smith showed when he came in

We have to give him until end of season and see if there is any improvement.  Its pointless sacking him now as we have nothing to play for and he may as well be given until then as form might improve. Obviously if it gets any worse then serious qusstion will need to be raised 

25 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Attacking wise, we are excellent. JJ and Coutinho are really running the show, we will break through any defence and we can create really good chances.

In my opinion, Gerrard's input is clear to see, I like the style, it's free flowing beautiful football,  but the defence needs to be more solid. 

2/3 more signings, a good defensive coach, and I would not be surprised if next year we have a season like Wolves/Man U and I'd be happy with that. 

Calling for a defensive coach is usually a sign the manager is on the edge.

Your borderline admitting he can't organise a defensive unit. For a guy on £4m a year and with Europe our stated objective that's some shortcoming.

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

I really think this morning he's only 50/50 to start next season.

I don't. There's no way purslow won't stick with this. He's pushed all his chips in on Gerrard being the one. 

• Like 1

So the clickbait headline is that Gerrard wants to move on at least 9 players which sounds a lot until you look closer.

Wesley
Trezeguet
El Ghazi
Targett
Sanson
Gilbert
Steer

You would guess they are pretty much nailed on.
Luiz if he isnt signing a contract
Davis posibly

Thatz the 9 you can see going quite easily, not raising a lot of money or savings in wages

Doesnt leave a lot of room for improvements unlessw e look at moving on some first team starters

40 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Incredibly generous that

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

So the clickbait headline is that Gerrard wants to move on at least 9 players which sounds a lot until you look closer.

Wesley
Trezeguet
El Ghazi
Targett
Sanson
Gilbert
Steer

Davis posibly

Thatz the 9 you can see going quite easily, not raising a lot of money or savings in wages

Doesnt leave a lot of room for improvements unlessw e look at moving on some first team starters

To raise funds he's going to have to sell a current first teamer, Luiz, Watkins, or maybe even Ming's.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't. There's no way purslow won't stick with this. He's pushed all his chips in on Gerrard being the one. 

Purslow might almost be pushed into a corner though.

Does he throw away everything he has built over the last 3 years to stick with a dubious looking head coach.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

I really think this morning he's only 50/50 to start next season.

The next 7 are huge. If we see no improvement and get turned over by a few more teams I’d be happy to see him gone. I think when they came in they had two choices, get the most out of the team they inherited and play to the strengths of that team. Or implement a new system to be used in future. The latter has shown promise it can’t be denied, but between terrible subs, continuing with players out of form every week and bad runs of form things have to be questioned. I’m holding out hope marv comes back and we see an improvement, which sounds desperate but he’s a step up on Luiz in that role. And was important when Gerrard first come in. Then you have to compare us with Newcastle and Eddie how, we’re a much better team and look how much they’ve improved with coaching and a few signings. I wouldn’t have wanted him here but he’s done very well so far. The remaining fixtures will decide wether Gerrard deserves a pre season for me. 

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

The next 7 are huge. If we see no improvement and get turned over by a few more teams I’d be happy to see him gone. I think when they came in they had two choices, get the most out of the team they inherited and play to the strengths of that team. Or implement a new system to be used in future. The latter has shown promise it can’t be denied, but between terrible subs, continuing with players out of form every week and bad runs of form things have to be questioned. I’m holding out hope marv comes back and we see an improvement, which sounds desperate but he’s a step up on Luiz in that role. And was important when Gerrard first come in. Then you have to compare us with Newcastle and Eddie how, we’re a much better team and look how much they’ve improved with coaching and a few signings. I wouldn’t have wanted him here but he’s done very well so far. The remaining fixtures will decide wether Gerrard deserves a pre season for me. 

If we finish the season badly, and Gerrard is sacked.  We can kiss goodbye to Coutinho.

9 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Wesley
Trezeguet
El Ghazi
Targett
Sanson
Gilbert
Steer

Davis posibly

I'd be amazed if Bailey and Traore aren't added on that list

Just now, duke313 said:

If we finish the season badly, and Gerrard is sacked.  We can kiss goodbye to Coutinho.

While that would be sad it would be a sacrifice I am willing to make

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Great post.

Not been this disinterested since Bruce. Disconnect is the perfect word. And the future is largely bright!

The club feels very separate from the fans right now, you can feel it in the atmosphere. Covid didn't help. A load of new heroes appeared and made their mark without any fans there.

I want it to work with Gerrard I really do, but why are we bothering to gamble? Well... we know the CEO worships the ground he walks on and that brings its own set of problems.

Aside from anti-Dean Smith peculiars who refused to enjoy themselves for three years of fun, I don't know anyone properly behind Gerrard. As in, thinks he's definitely the man to go with and we couldn't get better immediately.

We are going to get better next season because we're going to spend £200m+... but we can't get much worse without being in the relegation scrap.

We're giving a go-kart engineer a go at a Formula E engine and hoping he'll turn it into an F1 car. 

I’ve tried my best to support Gerrard and will continue to do so and judge him fairly next season, but yes I also feel this disconnect, yesterday’s result didn’t even ruin my day and that in itself tells you something, I even missed the first 5 mins   Making a bacon sandwich 😂, it’s not very exciting at the moment , the biggest amount of optimism at the moment is the amount of quality youngsters we are producing unfortunately they don’t get game time,  and blaming the squad for lack of quality doesn’t sit right with me , does it need to improve? Yes but it’s still a decent squad, I’d go as far as to say it’s on par on paper with West Ham, Wolves and Leicester better than Brighton and Palace, this club is seriously underachieving.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

I’ve tried my best to support Gerrard and will continue to do so and judge him fairly next season, but yes I also feel this disconnect, yesterday’s result didn’t even ruin my day and that in itself tells you something, I even missed the first 5 mins   Making a bacon sandwich 😂, it’s not very exciting at the moment , the biggest amount of optimism at the moment is the amount of quality youngsters we are producing unfortunately they don’t get game time,  and blaming the squad for lack of quality doesn’t sit right with me , does it need to improve? Yes but it’s still a decent squad, I’d go as far as to say it’s on par on paper with West Ham, Wolves and Leicester better than Brighton and Palace, this club is seriously underachieving.

Is it a mindset issue?

I think it’s a Grealish issue… losing lifelong Villa fan, captain, emerging England hero and exceptional talent to that horrible club Man City, it’s knocked us all for 6, there was great pride in having Villa fans as captain and manager.. we lost that in space of a couple of months.

We have to give Gerrard the start of next season. I am sure transfers will be guided by Lange and targets already identified and it all being thought through professionally. 
More Coutinho calibre players please . 

• Like 1

Â