Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

If we lose against Leicester it won't just be five losses in a row, it will be seven defeats from ten, just three wins in eleven, that's pretty much relegation form over a significant period of games. If that form continues to the end of the season I think there's no question his job comes under question.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Talk of sacking him is very premature. Next season is where he proves it. 

My issue with that is whether he’s the best man we could get to overhaul the squad in the summer as it seems we are set to do. If we are going to go big at it in the transfer window then we can’t afford to get it wrong.

Nothing that I have seen since he arrived leads me to believe that he will get it right. I worry that we’ll be moving on players that we will come to regret and that a bad start to next season could lead to it all becoming toxic pretty quickly. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Screenshot_20220410-011222_Chrome-min.jpg

What was the score again?

How many additional points did we get from this game to add to the 14 points we got from the last 13 games?

• Like 1

Drop of perspective boys. I am 49 years old. I’m lucky enough to have seen probably the best era for our club. My first game was the European Cup QF against Kiev. A year later, I was at VP with my dad when we beat Barcelona to win the Super Cup. I was at Wembley in 94 and 96. As I said, I have been lucky. 
Since then, we have largely failed in my mind. The underlying reason for our failure in my view, is poor ownership. That changed the day that NSWE walked through the door. Since then, we have improved every area of our football club. Those boys have invested huge amounts of money in order to make that happen. They continue to do so.
They have now nailed their colours to the Gerrard mast. They are continuing to support our club financially like no other previous owners. They deserve our full unequivocal backing. We are incredibly lucky to have NSWE. Gerrard is their man and thus should be ours too until he has had time to prove/disprove his capability. The power of a unified support should never be underestimated.
We desperately needed NSWE to rescue us from a potentially terrible fate. They now need us to support their man and hopefully raise us closer to former glories. My son is 7 years old. He sat with me today, in his full villa kit. It upset him to see us getting hammered. I genuinely had to consider whether I want him involved but his grandad was from Aston and he taught me that life is rarely straight forward and the things that we treasure most are often the things that are most difficult to come by.

My dad died 4 years ago and it’s important to me that my son understands his heritage which is heavily intertwined with villa but there are times when we as a group of supporters need to do our bit. I don’t want to support a club where winning is the only factor to happiness. I do however want to support a club that tries to improve and become the best version of itself. NSWE are trying incredibly hard to make us the best we can possibly be. It will be much easier if we get behind the team and the manager. Give Gerrard a chance. He has only been here for 5 minutes.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What was the score again?

How many additional points did we get from this game to add to the 14 points we got from the last 13 games?

Don't give a f*CK, that's all common sense, we know how many points we do or don't get.

The point is, we were outstanding against a very good team in the first half, meaning something was done right.

We were let down by the same individual errors we have been time and time again, under both managers.

So the absolute tripe notion that we have progressively been getting worse and there are ZERO positive signs since SG has been in hold no place in reality, given that just TODAY we were better than most people have seen us all season.

The result has been done and discussed to death.

If the EXACT same game was played under the last Manager, I know exactly what the posts would be.

This is literally just roles reversed from regime to regime, and unreasonable in both scenarios.

I'll call out concerns and shite decisions, but I'm not going to just run along with untruths to pacify peoples anger.

NONE of us are happy about the result.

When we lost 3 - 0 to Chelsea for example, under Deano many of us agreed that it was still a performance to be proud of. How many points did we get?

The root here is obvious.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Drop of perspective boys. I am 49 years old. I’m lucky enough to have seen probably the best era for our club. My first game was the European Cup QF against Kiev. A year later, I was at VP with my dad when we beat Barcelona to win the Super Cup. I was at Wembley in 94 and 96. As I said, I have been lucky. 
Since then, we have largely failed in my mind. The underlying reason for our failure in my view, is poor ownership. That changed the day that NSWE walked through the door. Since then, we have improved every area of our football club. Those boys have invested huge amounts of money in order to make that happen. They continue to do so.
They have now nailed their colours to the Gerrard mast. They are continuing to support our club financially like no other previous owners. They deserve our full unequivocal backing. We are incredibly lucky to have NSWE. Gerrard is their man and thus should be ours too until he has had time to prove/disprove his capability. The power of a unified support should never be underestimated.
We desperately needed NSWE to rescue us from a potentially terrible fate. They now need us to support their man and hopefully raise us closer to former glories. My son is 7 years old. He sat with me today, in his full villa kit. It upset him to see us getting hammered. I genuinely had to consider whether I want him involved but his grandad was from Aston and he taught me that life is rarely straight forward and the things that we treasure most are often the things that are most difficult to come by.

My dad died 4 years ago and it’s important to me that my son understands his heritage which is heavily intertwined with villa but there are times when we as a group of supporters need to do our bit. I don’t want to support a club where winning is the only factor to happiness. I do however want to support a club that tries to improve and become the best version of itself. NSWE are trying incredibly hard to make us the best we can possibly be. It will be much easier if we get behind the team and the manager. Give Gerrard a chance. He has only been here for 5 minutes.

Sorry for your loss mate.

But Gerrard was always going to be a divisive appointment (check P1 of this thread)

The real danger of standing by Stevie G is that he tosses another £200m up the wall and NSWE - think "you know what we're out".

What's done - is done - do you plough when everything looks wrong ?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

But Gerrard was always going to be a divisive appointment (check P1 of this thread)

The real danger of standing by Stevie G is that he tosses another £200m up the wall and NSWE - think "you know what we're out".

Another £200m? Gerrard has only spent £25m so far, or do you mean the club spending £200m?

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Mate, I’m 45, similar family background and appreciate what you have written and agree with a lot of it but I think this appointment was Purslows drive and I’m not sure it was the wisest move.  We are giving Gerrard a chance, 42,000 every game but we aren’t getting much back.  I’m not going to blindly follow poor decisions however much I love what NSWE have done for us.  Not sure hiring a rookie manager because of his playing name was seeking to be the best we could be,surely they know that is was a chance to upgrade from Smith, not sure a rookie manager could ever be seen as that.  I’m still here, I still support every game and probably will until I die but even the best make the odd bad decision

11 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

You may be right. But what message does it send when underperforming players keep others out of the starting line up despite their strong performances?

And what would make this side suddenly start winning again with the same personnel?

Well that's the problem with ballsy headline statements 

"Do it or I will find someone who can"

"Big changes next time out"

You kind of back yourself into a corner and limit your options. Gerrards publicly threatened the players and got no response.

Sure get some new players over the summer ....let's see how well they respond to his style of man management.

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

I know sounds " crazy ".... But hear me out.

What if we buy better players in key areas... And actually get better 🤔 ( Stranger things have happened )

Meanihg no matter who the Manager is, they will have better players.

He bought Chambers for 1.5 mill and there was a mini meltdown about him, yet now most are calling for him to start. Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Another £200m? Gerrard has only spent £25m so far, or do you mean the club spending £200m?

Just predicting this summer's outlay if Stevie G is going to majorly overhaul the squad.

Might not be £200m - but how long before our wealthy owners get tired of seeing hundreds of millions squandered ? 

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Don't give a f*CK, that's all common sense, we know how many points we do or don't get.

The point is, we were outstanding against a very good team in the first half, meaning something was done right.

We were let down by the same individual errors we have been time and time again, under both managers.

So the absolute tripe notion that we have progressively been getting worse and there are ZERO positive signs since SG has been in hold no place in reality, given that just TODAY we were better than most people have seen us all season.

The result has been done and discussed to death.

If the EXACT same game was played under the last Manager, I know exactly what the posts would be.

This is literally just roles reversed from regime to regime, and unreasonable in both scenarios.

I'll call out concerns and shite decisions, but I'm not going to just run along with untruths to pacify peoples anger.

NONE of us are happy about the result.

When we lost 3 - 0 to Chelsea under Deano many of us agreed that it was still a performance to be proud of. How many pounds nts did we get?

The root here is obvious.

The thing is, as has been stated, Dean Smith had earned some leeway when a good performance resulted in a defeat. Like the Chelsea game you reference. Or indeed a bad performance resulted in defeat. 

Gerrard hasn’t earned that leeway - yet.

So yes, the good half of football today won’t be referenced too much by his staunchest critics, you’re right.

But then I don’t recall too many posts from the previous manager’s regularly doubters who would refer to the terrible calendar year form of 2021 but then would also caveat that with an acknowledgment the defeats included losses which hinged on dubious refereeing decisions against the Manchester clubs, for instance.

That detail - really out of a manager’s control - would also be overlooked and lumped in with the genuine bad performances and results of other games to help underline the point that was being made.

Tl;dr - my usual point, Gerrard’s really not being treated any differently to previous managers.

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I know this is crazy.... But hear me out.

What if we buy better players in key areas... And actually get better 🤔

Meanihg no matter who the Manager is, they will have better players.

He bought Chambers for 1.5 mill and there was a mini meltdown about him, yet now most are calling for him to start. Lol

Well if that happens problem (at least partially solved)

But you have to ask why would new players would start thriving in an environment where most aren't.

If youve got a pond full of goldfish and they keep dying - would you keep adding more fish ?

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Just predicting this summer's outlay if Stevie G is going to majorly overhaul the squad.

Might not be £200m - but how long before our wealthy owners get tired of seeing hundreds of millions squandered ? 

exactly, just stopping the way the team has designed to play for a formation that is so easy to stop is wasting enormous amounts of money. If you then start spending on new players for that system and it continues to not work for gerrard it is a complete disaster 

2 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Another week where I can't help feeling that he hasn't done anything to be trusted with a large transfer fund and a squad overhaul in the summer

I thought like this but today has changed my mind a little. We played well, very well at times, but were let down by individuals making mistakes or playing poorly. I’d like to see what Gerrard and co can do with players more suited to their vision.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I thought like this but today has changed my mind a little. We played well, very well at times, but were let down by individuals making mistakes or playing poorly. I’d like to see what Gerrard and co can do with players more suited to their vision.

I do agree that there has been signs of encouragement, but his inability to get the best out of the squad at his disposal causes me a fair bit of worry. We could break with our recent approach and allow Gerrard free reign to reshape the squad this season, only for him to fail and leave us in the lurch.

I just can't shake the feeling that we're abandoning our good planning and heading for a MON style set of bad decisions which will affect us for years to come. As always when i express pessimism about the Villa, I sincerely hope to be proved wrong.

• Like 2

Â