Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, hippo said:

Given the numerous times we have tried Watkins and Ings with zero effect. It seemed incredible to rekindle that partnership today. A sub the changed the game imo.

And as much as Luiz didn't impress today, our midfield looked lightweight and easily overrun for much of the game, and this tactical genius decided to taker Luiz off for a striker. It was a ridiculous sub.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

I'd disagree.

Digne has been very poor in his last 2 games. His passing is unbelievably bad.

Chambers wasn't solid v Newcastle (he gave away the free kick that led to the goal) 

Which I’d say was partly due to him getting fouled by Burns. (Or it’s just me trying to win the argument.)

But again I look at it as a slump because the first couple of games he really provided something going forward.

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Given the numerous times we have tried Watkins and Ings with zero effect. It seemed incredible to rekindle that partnership today. A sub the changed the game imo.

Yup, said the same as soon as Emi went off, was miffed at what he was doing. 

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why he brought on Ollie to play alongside Ings when it doesn’t work baffles me.

He's doing plenty of stuff that's baffling at the moment.

Persisting with Cash as an attacker on the right when he's a defender first with Bailey on the bench in madness.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Which I’d say was partly due to him getting fouled by Burns. (Or it’s just me trying to win the argument.)

But again I look at it as a slump because the first couple of games he really provided something going forward.

Sorry but how does Digne being in a slump justify anything ?

The argument was that SG needs to bring his own players in. He's got £25m worth in Digne - who isn't performing. Him being in a slump doesn't make it ok ?

What happens if Stevie G brings in 4 more with a £100m outlay - and they are in a slump.?

We were playing Watford today - with Tom Cleverly in there starting 11 FFS !!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I wasn't saying that Gerrard's three seasons at Rangers was enough to judge his managerial quality, just that the Sherwood comparisons are stupid.

The comparisons aren’t stupid. They’re pretty stark. It’s exactly the same disconnect between what the manager wants his players to do and what they’re actually doing. When it’s clear that the players can’t or won’t respond to what’s being asked of them then they’re both found wanting.

Add to that all the big talk, dogged self-belief, and a CEO who is utterly besotted with him then I reckon the parallels are pretty clear. You mightn’t agree but it doesn’t make it childish or stupid.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Sorry but how does Digne being in a slump justify anything ?

The argument was that SG needs to bring his own players in. He's got £25m worth in Digne - who isn't performing. Him being in a slump doesn't make it ok ?

What happens if Stevie G brings in 4 more with a £100m outlay - and they are in a slump.?

We were playing Watford today - with Tom Cleverly in there starting 11 FFS !!!!

Watford managed to beat Man U 4-1 this season. Crazy shit happens. They’re fighting to survive relegation and we’re just struggling to find form. It’s the premier league and we’ve seen this story plenty of times. And speaking of form, players go in and out of it all the time. It’s inevitable. There’s a reason some have viewed Digne as one of the better LBs in the league. He is a good player. But yes you are right. Today is not okay, the recent form is not okay and questions should be asked but I’m just not willing to write them off as failures already.. 

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jim said:

What a load of bollocks.

Seriously take the emotion out of it.

Listen to the interview on WM. Subjective of course - but he said 2or times "it's all on me"

I don't take an awful of stall by interviews etc - but that sounded like a man out of ideas. Just have a listen.

3 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

The comparisons aren’t stupid. They’re pretty stark. It’s exactly the same disconnect between what the manager wants his players to do and what they’re actually doing. When it’s clear that the players can’t or won’t respond to what’s being asked of them then they’re both found wanting.

Add to that all the big talk, dogged self-belief, and a CEO who is utterly besotted with him then I reckon the parallels are pretty clear. You mightn’t agree but it doesn’t make it childish or stupid.

No, the parallels are stupid. Sherwood had no real record or experience anywhere and no real plan. Gerrard does has a plan and a system, it's just not working right now.

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Watford managed to beat Man U 4-1 this season. Crazy shit happens. They’re fighting to survive relegation and we’re just struggling to find form. It’s the premier league and we’ve seen this story plenty of times. And speaking of form, players go in and out of it all the time. It’s inevitable. There’s a reason some have viewed Digne as one of the better LBs in the league. He is a good player. But yes you are right. Today is not okay, the recent form is not okay and questions should be asked but I’m just not willing to write them off as failures already.. 

That old chestnut.

As you say crazy shit happens now and then.

But this isn't now and then. Weve won 1 in 8 - with no home win since December 5.

Just now, Mantis said:

No, the parallels are stupid. Sherwood had no real record or experience anywhere and no real plan. Gerrard does has a plan and a system, it's just not working right now.

That's quite a flaw in the plan.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

When Smith first arrived we started brightly and then fell away dramatically - 3 wins in 16 games, including drawing 5-5 with Forest and 3-3 with Sheff Utd, AND losing 0-3 against Wigan.

I'd have sacked Smith right before we went on to win 10 games in a row.

Let's not pretend it was a bed of roses until this season under Deano, and let's not also expect miracles of Gerrard.  Things take time, as frustrating as that may be in the modern world.

You’re saying we should have given Smith more of a chance to turn it around? I’m inclined to think so.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Is it worse having no plan or a crap one? Seems that the end result is pretty similar

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

He's doing plenty of stuff that's baffling at the moment.

Persisting with Cash as an attacker on the right when he's a defender first with Bailey on the bench in madness.

So you suggest playing Bailey at RB?

Â