Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Seems that this system of his is maybe getting found out. Maybe not and we are just in poor form but we have to consider the former.  Watford now means so much more than i ever thought it would 4 days ago. He needs to get a really strong performance out of his players . Lets see if it happens as his players are coming out for the first half and continually struggling in the first 30 minutes Everton aside. I still believe in Gerrard but am getting slightly worried about what is continually happening. 

Same here.  Roy Hodgson will have an idea of how to stop us playing the Aston villa way. Whatever that is....we have better players so should be able to find a way to beat them.  At least get a good performance out of them 🤞

Some are angry, others are saying there has been a overreaction on VT...

Thing is Gerrard should be absolutely raging at that performance today, I know I am angry after watching it too.

Now we must have a response, it's good in a sense as he is learning more about the players.

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Some are angry, others are saying there has been a overreaction on VT...

Thing is Gerrard should be absolutely raging at that performance today, I know I am angry after watching it too.

Now we must have a response, it's good in a sense as he is learning more about the players.

The problem is Gerrard should be raging the last 4/5 games and is getting no reaction 

Hopefully Gerrard will show what he's made of. Much more down to him than the players. A shame that he singled out Coutinho as having made an effort, when there were others who worked much harder. Worried that we might be becoming a bit like Man U with Ronaldo.

9 minutes ago, eholm said:

Huge test for SG and co now. The compactness that we had in the first few games has gone with huge spaces opening up once more. Hence we are so easy to play through and so few passing options available that result in us losing possession. 

I do wonder if Gerrard, Beale et al will look to adapt the system as currently it’s not working. If we are to continue with both fullbacks bring predominantly wingers then we have to become more compact. 

Not sure if you can play PC and EB in the same team with full backs bombing on. 

System worked in SPL but concerns that too easy to play against in the PL. Beale is a very highly regarded coach so l trust them to make the correct adjustments. Although we were poor today...I do think it is the team structure that is causing us most issues. 

I'm sure they will tweak the formation.

But what coaching/formation/tactics produces our own players bumping into each other as often as they do.?

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

You don know better managers have had bad seasons as well. Where was Chelsea when Mourinho got sacked? Klopp has a relegation on his cv

Smith isnt a better manager than them but better managers have been sacked

Gerrard has been a poor appointment so far, wouldn't have got the job if his name was Michael Beale or Steve Cooper

No he hasnt. Not spectacular but not a poor appointment either.

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

No he hasnt. Not spectacular but not a poor appointment either.

What has he done to earn the job? He won some trophies as a player and beat Neil Lennon in the Scottish League and has not done anything impressive at Villa so far

TBH, he has attracted a higher caliber of player to Villa than we've signed during the past 20 years in Coutinho and Digne.  Besides that, he has proven to not being any better than Deano as far as tactics and game management goes.  That may change over time, but this match was dreadful.  Not expecting anything to come out of this season, provided we stay well clear of the relegation zone, but unless we start winning again soon, that might not be an option.  Starting to get worried.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

5 in 12 since Gerrard took over.....

:P

Oh bugger off 😂😂😂

Those early days were so good, I was not on the Gerrard train then.  I thought he was the wrong appointment and then I get on the train and really behind him and since we’ve been shit.  The Villa always breaks my soul into fifteen pieces on a regular basis.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Haven’t won in the last three games at home

Haven’t won at home since 5th December

5 points in the last 18

1 win in the last 7

Lost weakly to Newcastle, let slip two goal lead to Leeds, both this week

Is there a narrative or just saying how it is?

I want Gerrard to do well with us, he’s our manager and leader.  I want the players to do well.  We aren’t doing any of this the last couple of months, there is no narrative I just want better.

Wasn’t aimed at yourself at all mate, I think you always have a balanced take at what’s happening. But some posters only see the bad in anything that’s happening, I’m not happy with what’s happening at the minute but I’m happy to look at the wider context of things before talking about Gerrards pedigree or what could have been

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

5 points from the last 15, that form puts us at 42 points at the end of the season. 

that’s 16th based on last season. 

a shite season if you ask me if that happens 

Presenting statistics in that way…

There is definitely a job for you advising Boris Johnson.

Â