Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, Dale said:

Trezeguet. Yes. Traore and Ghazi are players that many around us would be delighted to have. 

If our squad is bang average, Dean is paying the price of his own success in some ways. 

No chance. Not good enough for this division. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

You can already see certain posters jumping at the chance to lay into him and cast doubt over whether he's right for us etc.

Spin it however you want but the above is true. The speed at which managers get turned in baffles me. How can this possibly be on Gerrard? He’s been here a couple of months, we have a pretty poor squad riddled by injuries and covid, he himself has been sick and he is trying to implement a new system.

By the end of Smith relegation looked a possibility. Despite today’s poor performance, relegation does not look even remotely likely. We have improved but it’s going to take an improvement on this poor squad to actually improve any further. 

• Like 1

Second game in a row we've been flat as a pancake after HT. He'll not be pleased with that.

The way we defend wide areas asks so so much from our full backs and wide midfielders. It needs looking at because to me we're fairly easy to get in behind.

I'm not sure you could say there's an 'error' from us in that first goal, a quick pass and because of who closes who down, we're left really open.

• Like 1

Gerrard needs leaders on the pitch. Mings is a leader but when he’s not there it’s a bit of a disaster.

Today he was let down by the high number of inconsistent players in the squad, as was his predecessor on numerous occasions.

Time for some big changes in the squad. There aren’t a huge number of players that I would be gutted to see Gerrard get rid of if he deemed them not up to standard.

• Like 2

Just now, Spoony said:

Spin it however you want but the above is true. The speed at which managers get turned in baffles me. How can this possibly be on Gerrard? He’s been here a couple of months, we have a pretty poor squad riddled by injuries and covid, he himself has been sick and he is trying to implement a new system.

By the end of Smith relegation looked a possibility. Despite today’s poor performance, relegation does not look even remotely likely. We have improved but it’s going to take an improvement on this poor squad to actually improve any further. 

Correct. It can't be on him. He has a massive contract he will get plenty of time.

Being totally honest - I just can't see it working though. He may go on to be a decent manager - but I think this job has come too early for him.

7 minutes ago, Thug said:

Which bit in particular was harsh?

That was boring after the first 30

minutes.

I thought you meant generally e.g. no idea what gameplan is under Gerrard in his run of games so far when we've played some very good football in strong halves v teams at top and bottom of the league.

Yes today in second half we weren't good at all so no argument from me there.

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

If you look around there's not much patience for anyone ever really. A bad game and you're gash.

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

By the end of Smith relegation looked a possibility.

100% it did. Those early points will be crucial.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Second game in a row we've been flat as a pancake after HT. He'll not be pleased with that.

The way we defend wide areas asks so so much from our full backs and wide midfielders. It needs looking at because to me we're fairly easy to get in behind.

I'm not sure you could say there's an 'error' from us in that first goal, a quick pass and because of who closes who down, we're left really open.

Agreed. No idea why people are blaming Hause. To me given how tight Targett gets he simply has to win the ball. Instead he dosen't and leaves acres of space for one of theirs to run in behind and open us up.

Just now, VillaChris said:

I thought you meant generally e.g. no idea what gameplan is under Gerrard in his run of games so far when we've played some very good football in strong halves v teams at top and bottom of the league.

Yes today in second half we weren't good at all so no argument from me there.

Yh, my comment was referring to todays game only.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Correct. It can't be on him. He has a massive contract he will get plenty of time.

Being totally honest - I just can't see it working though. He may go on to be a decent manager - but I think this job has come too early for him.

See this is what I mean.

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

50pts would be fine with me.

The question I was responding to was re today "you could see what he was trying to do"

I couldn't. 

Mid table team in losing poorly shock. Likes of Brighton and Palace have had a few of those games in last three months.

Just need to get the Man. United games out of the way and try to kick on again by winning at Everton.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mantis said:

If Smith was the "soul" of the club, how come we were putting in performances just like this one week in week out before he got sacked?

It's as if you didn't read or didn't understand my post. I'm not blaming Gerrard. I'm not defending Smith. I don't think there'd have been much of a difference between them in terms of the big picture. We had something good going at the club, something that might have been able to carry us above our weight, but they've allowed it to slip away and now we seem like a club that has no identity or direction.  

• Like 1

Just now, Mantis said:

See this is what I mean.

What I don't see Stevie G working at villa ? - that's just my opinion. If he proves me wrong great. I've said he will given time.

But being totally honest and purely my opinion I just don't see it working.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

See this is what I mean.

Yeh, that’s just nonsense. 

Gerrard inherited an average squad with a few good players and some players that just need to be moved on.

We’re a 12th-14th place side and that’s probably where we’ll finish. We’re still suffering from the poor Summer transfer window.

My biggest worry is we don’t have the money to properly back Gerrard. 

1 minute ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

It's as if you didn't read or didn't understand my post. I'm not blaming Gerrard. I'm not defending Smith. I don't think there'd have been much of a difference between them in terms of the big picture. We had something good going at the club, something that might have been able to carry us above our weight, but they've allowed it to slip away and now we seem like a club that has no identity or direction.  

Ok but to be honest it's felt like we've had little identity or direction since the beginning of last year.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Yeh, that’s just nonsense. 

Gerrard inherited an average squad with a few good players and some players that just need to be moved on.

We’re a 12th-14th place side and that’s probably where we’ll finish. We’re still suffering from the poor Summer transfer window.

My biggest worry is we don’t have the money to properly back Gerrard. 

Yes - I think he will have too raise some funds by selling our better performers. 

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t think Gerrard takes the job unless he knows he has funds to make the changes he wants to.

He s said publicly he moved to be closer to his family - how he has missed out seeing his lad grow up.

Â