Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I love the way he is with the media. There’s no joking or arsing around, it’s strictly business. He has a real air of authority about him and the media are clearly on edge with him. You have to really believe in yourself to behave in that manner. Manager’s who lack belief use their friendships with key figures in the media to create a false narrative (not naming names but look out for flying cabbages). 

• Like 2

I think it's too early to get excited for me just yet. Desirable run of outcomes for us yes, however I wonder about how much influence SG has had on those results. We have had less of the ball and less shots in some of those victories, and we have a very capable outfit making up our ranks.

Five straight losses is far from ideal and I can fully understand why it's considered a deal breaker for our owners with the ambitions they have, as well as the nous to achieve it. Yet I wonder if Gerrard is so far above Smith that he would not succumb to five losses considering the teams we played. Four of which find themselves top half, two or three in European placing. Wolves was a disaster comeback that should have been a win for us really.

I digress. Very much optimistic in the boards decision making ability that we have made a more suitable appointment to move upwards. However wondering if Smith was really behind a rot at all, and if SG will be better as I held Smith in a high regard.

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I think it's too early to get excited for me just yet. Desirable run of outcomes for us yes, however I wonder about how much influence SG has had on those results. We have had less of the ball and less shots in some of those victories, and we have a very capable outfit making up our ranks.

Five straight losses is far from ideal and I can fully understand why it's considered a deal breaker for our owners with the ambitions they have, as well as the nous to achieve it. Yet I wonder if Gerrard is so far above Smith that he would not succumb to five losses considering the teams we played. Four of which find themselves top half, two or three in European placing. Wolves was a disaster comeback that should have been a win for us really.

I digress. Very much optimistic in the boards decision making ability that we have made a more suitable appointment to move upwards. However wondering if Smith was really behind a rot at all, and if SG will be better as I held Smith in a high regard.

Smith assembled a counter attacking side. 

We don't have the players to play possession football yet. 

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Smith assembled a counter attacking side. 

We don't have the players to play possession football yet. 

Smith had at different times varying approaches to the way Villa played football.

Playing possession football is a tactical approach or philosophy, and when Smith came in, he took an underachieving side and got them playing a short passing and ball retentive game, while it took some time to get the results and outcomes, we had been noticeably better with keeping the ball and creating chances than our opposition and soon enough the desired results came with. 

I think the contrast in Bruce and Smith's tactics and set-up is enough for us to see that you can have a side assembled any which way you like, consistent results come when the coaching and management is done well. While certain players are more suited to a given approach it is the overall mechanics and chemistry of a team which decide how good they are, or if they are lacking.

I think Smith wanted to have a side that was capable of playing many ways. I think this is shown both in his formation and personnel recruitment . Our midfield consists of players who are technically sound and also able to play a holding role or even a volante in the case of Dougie. 

Smith actually says as much in an interview on coaching and development. He says as professionals there really shouldn't be many aspects of the game that players aren't exposed to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

Smith had at different times varying approaches to the way Villa played football.

Playing possession football is a tactical approach or philosophy, and when Smith came in, he took an underachieving side and got them playing a short passing and ball retentive game, while it took some time to get the results and outcomes, we had been noticeably better with keeping the ball and creating chances than our opposition and soon enough the desired results came with. 

I think the contrast in Bruce and Smith's tactics and set-up is enough for us to see that you can have a side assembled any which way you like, consistent results come when the coaching and management is done well. While certain players are more suited to a given approach it is the overall mechanics and chemistry of a team which decide how good they are, or if they are lacking.

I think Smith wanted to have a side that was capable of playing many ways. I think this is shown both in his formation and personnel recruitment . Our midfield consists of players who are technically sound and also able to play a holding role or even a volante in the case of Dougie. 

Smith actually says as much in an interview on coaching and development. He says as professionals there really shouldn't be many aspects of the game that players aren't exposed to.

Easier to play possesion based in the Championship where the teams you come up against are so poor. 

In PL under Smith we've always been a counter attacking team. When Shakespeare arrived we became even more direct. Bordering a long ball team. 

Will take a while for Gerrard to change the style. For now he seem to be focusing on defensive structure which is understandable. 

A pre season and recruitment will be gold. 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Easier to play possesion based in the Championship where the teams you come up against are so poor. 

In PL under Smith we've always been a counter attacking team. When Shakespeare arrived we became even more direct. Bordering a long ball team. 

Will take a while for Gerrard to change the style. For now he seem to be focusing on defensive structure which is understandable. 

A pre season and recruitment will be gold. 

I don't think that's accurate.

Just under half of our fixtures this season under Smith that were against bottom half sides, we averaged 59.5% possession. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I don't think that's accurate.

Just under half of our fixtures this season under Smith that were against bottom half sides, we averaged 59.5% possession. 

You are right in that sides with more talent and skill in them will generally have more possession than their opponents, but it's not a given and not every powerhouse club plays to have as many passes as possible for each attempt on goal.

@villalad21

"Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he just might be. He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly he gives the players around him confidence and belief. You can't learn that – players like him are just born with that presence."

—Zinedine Zidane on Gerrard, 2009.

Nice interview with SG on Sky. I think he is very respectful of Smith. He also talks about the Watkins and Ings conundrum.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/12506692/steven-gerrard-on-the-extra-pressure-he-felt-for-a-bright-start-at-aston-villa-and-how-he-managed-it

Steven Gerrard on Sky
"Aston Villa are stronger for having both options available; does that mean I'm going to force them to play together? No. Are there games where they can play together? Yes. The conundrum for me is an exciting challenge, and I've got to try to find the right answers and solutions. If one of them is injured or was to go, that doesn't make Aston Villa stronger or better at all - so we should appreciate both of them.

Edited by villaslash
Add quote
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, villaslash said:

Nice interview with SG on Sky. I think he is very respectful of Smith. He also talks about the Watkins and Ings conundrum.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/12506692/steven-gerrard-on-the-extra-pressure-he-felt-for-a-bright-start-at-aston-villa-and-how-he-managed-it

Steven Gerrard on Sky
"Aston Villa are stronger for having both options available; does that mean I'm going to force them to play together? No. Are there games where they can play together? Yes. The conundrum for me is an exciting challenge, and I've got to try to find the right answers and solutions. If one of them is injured or was to go, that doesn't make Aston Villa stronger or better at all - so we should appreciate both of them.

Really well put

Â