Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

On 13/12/2021 at 15:52, HKP90 said:

If you put it in context, yes. But you don't, ever, because you don't seem to factor the form of opposition, overall objective (i.e. getting a result by any means necessary), the constraints of our existing team,  the time our manager has been with the team.... the list goes on. 

From what I see, you seem to solely take into consideration the name of the opposition, and a perceived estimate of whether we should be beating them based on the stature of that name in world football (hence the recent West Ham quotes). 

You mentioned yesterday that you expect us to be beating teams in mid table and relegation places (again on what basis?). Taking 8th down as mid table, which people have subsequently been using in the Leicester debate, this would mean (even if we got zero draws) a points total of 72 pts,  which based on the last three years league tables would put us 3rd and in the Champions League. 

The criticism and expectations presented, both on a game by game basis, and on the achievements of the season as a whole are just totally unrealistic. 

What Gerrard should have done is played like Leeds did against Man City yesterday. They got beaten 7-0 of course, but at least they had shots on target.

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

There is a genuine link between what we watch in the training sessions that pravda put up and what we are watching in games. The short quick passing and movement is there to see. 

i thought that too. under smith in these training videos you see they were always doing that little one touch passing routine thing but we never saw that in the matches. always wondered what the point of it was. the opposition really struggle with it because it's so unpredictable. we will lose possesion from it of course but i think we'll see a few lovely goals this season as a result of great passing moves

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

My favourite part of the Gerrard era so far is how we are out of possession. We are a proper difficult team to break down and it's because he seems to put emphasis in our shape and movement when we don't have the ball. It was a real shortcoming of the Smith era. He seemed almost more focused on playing the perfect attacking football to get the ball in the net. It's why we often looked so easy to play through, even at our swashbuckling best.

spot on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lexicon said:

We weren't at our best today, to be honest, but it was a pretty straightforward win - which in footballing cliches is always a good sign. Agree with those saying we couldn't have asked for any more than we've got so far; he and his team are doing a great job.

considering its still Deans team, the transformation has been awesome....pinch me....for whats coming.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

What Gerrard should have done is played like Leeds did against Man City yesterday. They got beaten 7-0 of course, but at least they had shots on target.

And both games resulted in zero points. 

You don't get bonus points for keeping the score down. A loss is a loss. The outcome is the same. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You don't get bonus points for keeping the score down. A loss is a loss. The outcome is the same. 

Goal difference can be important at the end of the season. That pummelling could be the difference between them staying up or down.

Anyway, have to happy with Gerrard's start, 4 wins in 6 is great.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And if we had been given that penalty, like we should have been it would most likely have been a point. That's why you keep the score down because it only takes one chance to get something from the game then. Not hard to understand really.

1 minute ago, Jono62 said:

Goal difference can be important at the end of the season. That pummelling could be the difference between them staying up or down.

Anyway, have to happy with Gerrard's start, 4 wins in 6 is great.

Happy with the start. 

Not happy with losing to Liverpool in the manner we did. 

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

And if we had been given that penalty, like we should have been it would most likely have been a point. That's why you keep the score down because it only takes one chance to get something from the game then. Not hard to understand really.

You are sounding like Steve Bruce here. 

Let's keep things tight and maybe we'll nick something. 

Would be a daylight robbery if we got something out of that game. 

Rest of the games I'm delighted with. Liverpool game not so much. 

Edited by villalad21

On 12/12/2021 at 13:38, StewieGriffin said:

Gerrard isnt a magician, he isnt going to turn us into Liverpool/Man City/Bayern Munich overnight, but he's done all the right things so far for me.

I agree, but could u elaborate on how long it will take? Is next season too soon or do we have to wait till the following season. Exciting times ahead. I am loving what I am seeing happen to our team

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No it isnt. A heavy beating negatively affects goal difference which is sometimes crucial and can destroy morale. Its much better to be in the game than thrashed.

That result will likely be the end of Bielsa.

10 hours ago, tomav84 said:

yes many of us felt that the villa supporter who took us up, kept us up, and basically gave us our villa back had enough credit in the bank to stay on a bit longer. even more were sceptical as to whether gerrard was the right man to take over and was seen by many as no better than smith. go back a few dozen pages to when he was first linked. he was a largely unpopular appointment

the board rolled the dice, its worked out better than most could have possibly imagined and everyone concerned gets great credit

but there's no need to gloat like there was some small 'brigade' that thought smith should've stayed. a large number were rightly nervous about the appointment; but SG is doing a cracking job. long may it continue.

That's a nice war cry and you'll get plenty of likes but it doesnt change the fact that the results and performances under Smith were terrible in the last calendar year up to his sacking. There is no "credit in the bank" when it comes to relegation form. We had to be ruthless and we were, somewhat surprisingly.

I agree lots of fans were sceptical about Gerrard but most of that was nothing to do with his management record and purely to do with him and who he played for, both of which were ridiculous. I wasnt "gloating" but his flying start makes fans of both opinions look equally ridiculous.

• Confused 1

I'll admit I was basically against the appointment before he was introduced. Just thought that he wasn't ready and it was Purslow making a rash appointment on the back of knowing him.

By the first press conference he started to impress me (even though press conferences aren't that important). Since then he's done brilliantly performance and results wice. I love the set up, he has a great assistant in Beale and he's got an aura about him. The difference between him and ex player who have turned managers recently (Lampard, Solskjaer etc) is huge. Both his demeanor on the sidelines, his set up and the way he conducts himself in interviews. It's not just baseless platitudes - he knows exactly what he wants.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TRO said:

its clear, in his manner, his delivery and body language....He's a winner.

I always thought he was a dour, anti social type - towards the media at least  - but it seems to be probably the best way to be. Keep feet on the ground and never be totally satisfied with his team's efforts, wanting a bit more etc.

• Like 1

Â