Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

18 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

Well this all sounds very familiar. When is he getting his gilet?

With all the talk of " agendas " against Dean Smith in the past, some of you are hilarious.

At least this time, the " agendas " are very open, direct, and honest from the get go.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

With all the talk of " agendas " against Dean Smith in the past, some of you are hilarious.

At least this time, the " agendas " are very open, direct, and honest from the get go.

It’s a massive role reversal mate. It’s crazy! Hopefully he can win us all over in time. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Wasn't Saunders from the Wirral? Is that technically just outside of Liverpool?

Birkenhead, Ironically Doug Ellis was from Hooton, up that way too as was Peter Withe and Dennis Mortimer.

Folk who had a very significant impact on our History.

Ron was big on Workrate and drive..... as is Steven Gerrard, so lets hope a bit can rub off, on what Ron set us up to do....they both played 4-3-3 too....Ron in his playing days was a prolific striker, as was Steven a stand out Midfielder....they have a fair bit in common....different times of course.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Nah he's not. He's an all-rounder who's pretty OK at everything and has good lungs.

But he's playing for another team and that automatically makes him better than all of our players apparently. And since he's black he's automatically a DCM beast destroyer too. Or something lazy like that.

This is a ridiculous take. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think he will, he does want success at all costs, agree with that....but I think he will keep his powder dry too, until the right players come up.

I think what we need immediately, will not cost big money....and I think he will demonstrate that, but I also think some fans, will be miffed.

We have talent in our team already, we need a different type to give that talent a platform to play off....I am sure he will know already.

I don't think he will make any possibly sideways signings, I think he can move sideways within the existing squad, if he and Beale are what we hope they are he will move us forward with THIS squad, then any movement will be heavy, for real talent and that comes at a price.

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair he didn’t seem to need much time on the ball against France either. But as mentioned by others Gerrard has money at his disposal so there’s no need for him to be raiding Rangers anyway at all.  It was just something to chat about in the mean time.

but if he thinks he can get some ingredient in to the team, at a low cost, it means he can have more money to spend in the summer on targets that will cost him more.....prudency is key, here.

24 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I don't think he will make any possibly sideways signings, I think he can move sideways within the existing squad, if he and Beale are what we hope they are he will move us forward with THIS squad, then any movement will be heavy, for real talent and that comes at a price.

The thing is Phil...He may not see them as sideways signings, that maybe our perception....I do think as a fanbase we do seem to be ballers everytime, if VT is a true reflection.....Ballers is not always the issue and I don't think it is with us, right now.

If he is looking for an injection of something, he may not see it in the exisiting squad, so he won't perceive that as a sideways move.....just as an example would we have signed Craig Dawson, NO, (and we can all name more)but he has done well for West Ham, so it doesn't always follow we have to spend big......we have to spend wise.

We have 2 current first teamers, who are not International players.....that is the standard, we have. Its the balance, we are struggling with, more than quality imo...and I think that has had a knock on effect to other area's like belief, workrate and will.

John McGinn and Emi Martinez was relatively low cost, for what they are, and  amongst out best players.....I fancy, if he see's a low cost fix, that many of us won't see....(and that is not me being disrespectful to anyone) He will go for it...he wants players he can trust to follow his doctrine.

When you look around at some of the leagues improving teams....big money has not been at the centre of their success. I am not saying don't spend big, but it creates huge pressure and costs jobs, if it goes wrong, but equally, we have all seen modest signings too, take off at some clubs, John McGinn being a prime example, with us.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

The thing is Phil...He may not see them as sideways signings, that maybe our perception....I do think as a fanbase we do seem to be ballers everytime, if VT is a true reflection.....Ballers is not always the issue and I don't think it is with us, right now.

We have 2 current first teamers, who are not International players.....that is the standard, we have, its the balance, we are struggling wlith, more than quality imo...amd I think that has had a knock on effect to other area's like belief, workrate and will.

John McGinn and Emi Martinez was relatively low cost, for what they are, and  amongst out best players.....I fancy, if he see's a low cost fix, that many of us won't see....(and that is not me being disrespectful to anyone) He will go for it...he wants players he can trust to follow his doctrine.

When you look around at some of the leagues improving teams....big money has not been at the centre of their success. I am not saying don't spend big, but it creates huge pressure and costs jobs, if it goes wrong, but equally, we have all seen modest signings too, take off at some clubs, John McGinn being a prime example, with us.

Well said.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It will be interesting what our  transfer targets will be now.  We did have a clear transfer policy of buying young players to then develop and add value, but this summer seemed very confused. Ings and Young certainly did not fit this remit.

I get Young as a freebie, Ings I think was just a rapid panic buy to assuage the Grealish sale. 

I doubt our strategic remit will have changed significantly, but Gerrard will probably get what he wants, for a while at least.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I am not saying any different, but we was talking about one aspect.

Management by definition is multi- faceted, it cannot be one dimensional, The subject is a broad church of factors.

its a subject you could talk about for hours, one aspect, is what it is, one aspect.

I am not even saying, strong management equals not approachable, because thats a myth too.

What I am suggesting as ONE example ,is turning a blind eye, when an opportunity exists to exert/demonstrate authority. Its not a wise move in my book....we have to confront, even if we are not confrontational by nature.....because our subordinates will notice and have us on trial, whether we like that or not, thats where leadership begins.

From my experience of people like that, they're usually painfully insecure individuals who demand rather than command respect. It may work the first few times but it quickly becomes 'Oh God, he's trying the Billy Big Bollocks routine again, here we go', the eyes glaze over and the barriers to progress are up. Good leaders know how to manage people - they know when to push and when to support - they don't try to take every opportunity to exert authority, which is what a second rate dictator would do IMO.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, lexicon said:

From my experience of people like that, they're usually painfully insecure individuals who demand rather than command respect. It may work the first few times but it quickly becomes 'Oh God, he's trying the Billy Big Bollocks routine again, here we go', the eyes glaze over and the barriers to progress are up. Good leaders know how to manage people - they know when to push and when to support - they don't try to take every opportunity to exert authority, which is what a second rate dictator would do IMO.

I think we are talking 2 different things here, you seem to be taking my views far too literally and creating a strawman......I actually agree with what you are suggesting.

Yes they do, but the push is precisely what I am talking about, they know when to praise too, and they also know when a training need is required, but good leaders can differentiate between those things too.

"Every Opportunity " suggests to me an instance where an action could be required...my point was turning a blind eye is as bad as tearing a strip off.....A good leader will try to guide a subordiante down the right path, but the caveat is the intial approach might turn in to something more severe, if the advice is not taken on board....or ignored or defied.

The examples of "Billy big bollocks" is not what i was getting at, at all....That is an extreme, I was not promoting.

Passive management only works to a degree......effective management is whats key and brings success.

Edited by TRO

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think we are talking 2 different things here, you seem to be taking my views far too literally and creating a strawman......I actually agree with what you are suggesting.

Yes they do, but the push is precisely what I am talking about, they know when to praise too, and they also know when a training need is required, but good leaders can differentiate between those things too.

"Every Opportunity " suggests to me an instance where an action could be required...my point was turning a blind eye is as bad as tearing a strip off.....A good leader will try to guide a subordiante down the right path, but the caveat is the intial approach might turn in to something more severe, if the advice is not taken on board....or ignored or defied.

The examples of "Billy big bollocks" is not what i was getting at, at all....That is an extreme, I was not promoting.

Passive management only works to a degree......effective management is whats key and brings success.

I think we're so used to arguing we're taking it as a given that the other has a diametrically opposing view these days 😂

But yeah, I think we basically agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I don't think he will, he does want success at all costs, agree with that....but I think he will keep his powder dry too, until the right players come up.

I think what we need immediately, will not cost big money....and I think he will demonstrate that, but I also think some fans, will be miffed.

We have talent in our team already, we need a different type to give that talent a platform to play off....I am sure he will know already.

He certainly won’t be buying £50k players. Sorry to kill the dream as such but Kamara from Rangers isn’t going to turn us into a European side - he isn’t the type of player we need and he isn’t good enough for the upper echelons of the PL (which is where we want to be).

Gerrard doesn’t need to scrimp and scrape and I’m pretty certain he won’t because thankfully he knows the gulf between the Premier League and the SPL. I can’t see us taking anybody from Rangers, can see us maybe utilising his relations with Liverpool which I’m not against, but besides that I think he will be using our scouting networking and working with our technical staff. 

• Like 4

Â