Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

14 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Can you give us some detail regarding his record and successes in Europe? What kind of opposition he faced and the results and performances he managed to produce? How the team performed?

Was it “backs to the wall” a few times or did they manage to dominate teams that would be perceived as superior.

I mean no offence, but man for man that is a weak team imo but managing to defeat better teams/players (on paper) is cause for encouragement… that shows a degree of acumen…

Very interested to know.

He loves 433. There's really no change in that preference of shape. The team moves as a unit and don't be alarmed when he allows opposition to take receipt of the ball at throw ins. The team is then instructed to regain the ball in packs and start again. 

To be fair we had a "back to the walls" game against UFA from Russia.  Down to 9 men but Jon Flanagan was immense that night. We outplayed Legia, Benfica ( bad game management cost us 3 points) Porto we played really well and Braga both home and away we upped it second half. 

Leverkusen totally outplayed us. They were smarter,quicker and were fabulous to watch. 

Slavia Prague knew exactly how we played.  They bullied us all over the park. We were incapable of change. 

Malmo despite going 1-0 in the first half and them down to 10 men, simply out smarted us in the 2nd half. That cost us UCL and £30 million. Teams know how we play in Scotland under SG. With better players he should be able to shape the team but if you watch how we have played over the last 3 years this will be your template. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Pep has to be the best but he has only tested himself with the best so that could be seen as a negative. Roberto Mancini has also done well. I would have liked him at Villa, I was hoping we would offer him the job while letting him double job and continue with Italy till after the WC. 

Unsure on Pep and I have lost my admiration for him, did amazing work at Barca though - that can never be denied…

He’s been financed more than any other manager so it’s hard to judge him properly… I don’t think he would be dominant without those millions and millions. The guy has to spend like crazy just to try and sort a defence out! Liverpool have competed well against his City side…

Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Dalglish..

Capello

Zidane… but he had everything set up to succeed and walked into the ideal job…

Ancelotti has done brilliantly, Chelsea were mad to let him go.

Mancini? There’s being ambitious and then there’s being insane! 🤣

I would have liked to see us go for a high quality or high level manager but we were always going to be limited and restricted due to our standing and status…

It was also very unlikely, but I would have been pleased to see us at least make an approach for someone like Ten Haag. I don’t think it would’ve been possible but I wondered whether our owners could persuade him. At least sit down with him and share their vision/project/ambition. There may have been an opportunity there as, despite his record and performances in the Champions League, he’s working in a weak league and there is only so much Ajax can achieve. 

Could we have persuaded Conte had he not joined Spurs? Probably not 🤣

Again, I don’t think we have the draw, at the present time, to attract that level of manager but it would’ve been nice to see us try. Now that’s what I would call ambition.

But the “bracket below” would have been a good area to target.

We have to be realistic… but I think we could’ve set our sights higher than the present incumbent.

Anyway, what’s done is done and I hope for the sake of this football club, that Gerrard turns out to be a resounding success. I want wins asap!

28 minutes ago, Weechops said:

You have really not grasped the concept of how big a club Rangers are. Look at the results we got in Europe pre pandemic. SG and Mick Beale got a team playing well above their league status with some fantastic results in Europe. It's all relative. The fan base that we have in the UK is only dwarfed by Man Utd and Liverpool imo. Our revenue is relative to our fan base. It's TV money that keeps us down. So you are correct in revenue but take that TV money away from ANY Premier League club and the fans couldn't keep them solvent. 

The fans couldn't keep Rangers solvent either. Aren't they already declaring large losses less than 10 years from almost going bust. 

Rangers are a huge team historically but the modern game has for the most part left behind Scottish football. 

In fairness you could probably say the same for Villa but we are in a league that generates large TV revenues and can attract foreign dollars for investment. Hence why we are far more attractive option for Steven. 

Its been a long time since we've appointed a manager who has been able to bring his entire team. Smith came with just ROK and Terry who the board appointed. All coaches before that had a mismatch of a team. MON was the last manager to bring his entire team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

This is where I disagree with most. I think he can do an average job at villa and still get the pool gig.

I'm hoping he's better than OGS at Cardiff though !!

Liverpool are one of the top 3 or 4 club sides in the world, they will have the pick of any manager they want. They will also look at Lampard and OSG and be mindful of bringing in a club legend as the gaffer just because it vibes. 

That said, what would 'average' at Villa look like given the expenditure so far and the no doubt continued expenditure over the coming years? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They threw away 2 goal lead to Benfica twice last season and in one of the games Benfica had 9 men for 80 minutes. Lost a lead to Malmo who were down to ten men as well

This season he has won 2 from 8 in Europe, home to Brondby and home to a team from Armenia

spacer.png

45 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

This is quite crazy when you think about it. Making a whole team of people just up sticks and move over half way across the country because their "boss" has moved.  Bet there was some sweeteners in the deal for them all. Great to see them all coming!

Indeed. I imagine everyone is probably doubling their salary at least. Plus the fear that if they stay at Rangers, the new manager might not want them. 

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They threw away 2 goal lead to Benfica twice last season and in one of the games Benfica had 9 men for 80 minutes. Lost a lead to Malmo who were down to ten men as well

This season he has won 2 from 8 in Europe, home to Brondby and home to a team from Armenia

Zatman, you're clearly on record as hating him, so your opinion is always going to be somewhat skewed. Whatever you say has less cred as you've come out as a massive Gerrard out guy. First mistake and you'll have the knives out. Not digging but you were mighty against him pre appointment in the now closed thread. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It was also very unlikely, but I would have been pleased to see us at least make an approach for someone like Ten Haag. I don’t think it would’ve been possible but I wondered whether our owners could persuade him. At least sit down with him and share their vision/project/ambition. There may have been an opportunity there as, despite his record and performances in the Champions League, he’s working in a weak league and there is only so much Ajax can achieve. 

I would have loved him too. Maybe CP didn't what to approach a manager to then get refused. Newcastle didn't look too smart with their manager hunt

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Unsure on Pep and I have lost my admiration for him, did amazing work at Barca though - that can never be denied…

He’s been financed more than any other manager so it’s hard to judge him properly… I don’t think he would be dominant without those millions and millions. The guy has to spend like crazy just to try and sort a defence out! Liverpool have competed well against his City side…

Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Dalglish..

Capello

Zidane… but he had everything set up to succeed and walked into the ideal job…

Ancelotti has done brilliantly, Chelsea were mad to let him go.

Mancini? There’s being ambitious and then there’s being insane! 🤣

I would have liked to see us go for a high quality or high level manager but we were always going to be limited and restricted due to our standing and status…

Could we have persuaded Conte had he not joined Spurs? Probably not 🤣

Again, I don’t think we have the draw, at the present time, to attract that level of manager but it would’ve been nice to see us try. Now that’s what I would call ambition.

But the “bracket below” would have been a good area to target.

We have to be realistic… but I think we could’ve set our sights higher than the present incumbent.

Anyway, what’s done is done and I hope for the sake of this football club, that Gerrard turns out to be a resounding success. I want wins asap!

Pep evolved that ticka- tacka style and had that Barcelona team playing football that was the nearest thing I've seen to poetry in motion. 

1 minute ago, TheEgo said:

Zatman, you're clearly on record as hating him, so your opinion is always going to be somewhat skewed. Whatever you say has less cred as you've come out as a massive Gerrard out guy. First mistake and you'll have the knives out. Not digging but you were mighty against him pre appointment in the now closed thread. 

phew lucky I just mentioning facts and have already stated in this thread I will give him a chance even though I am not convinced

1 hour ago, Weechops said:

What I would say is that there is no plan B. His coaching team are incapable of change during a game.

Oh no...so the #1 complaint many of us had about Smith is going to be as or more true for SG...not good.

2 hours ago, hippo said:

I was using Martinez as an example. If Stevie G knows his next club 12 months in advance - wots to stop on or two cut price departure s in the direction of Anfield.?

Yeah he’ll probably be putting a slow acting drug into the water system too. So that our players will be brainwashed into being Scousers. Get a grip!

• Haha 2

Just now, Zatman said:

phew lucky I just mentioning facts and have already stated in this thread I will give him a chance even though I am not convinced

Oh come on, you won't really give him a chance, you hate the guy. Complimentary bias will always effect your judgement, at least we all know that though. You've put a mark in the sand and been honest. I respect that so not having a go

26 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Looking at the Ranger's team though it's so so poor. There's a reason not many of there players come to the Prem or even the Championship.

And Villa's team?  For us to finish top half means we would have to outplay several teams who have significantly more talented squads given the headstart we gave them from our relegation.  Steven had to setup Rangers to break teams down, rarely ever facing a more talented team. Completely opposite here in the PL. It's a valid question, how he will deal with not having outsized resources compared to his opposition. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That said, what would 'average' at Villa look like given the expenditure so far and the no doubt continued expenditure over the coming years? 

I’m not sure the Liverpool hierarchy would consider a manager that has an average track record with any PL team,  let alone one that has been worse than average in reason seasons. Regardless of the manager’s history as a player for them. 

• Like 1

Â