Your All-Time Villa XI

Big Salad

I made this via chosen11.com and it was easy to do. Just curious what everyone's all time Villa would be. Just based mine off of a 433 formation and I know some may be out of position but anyway here goes and yes the LW is what he is lol😆:

lineup.png.6c9cc188220f5bacdcfa7efcc003e1af.png

I will do the 11 i think since i have been supporting Villa, so roughly 1990 onwards.

Granted, Carbone maybe shouldn't be there, but both Carbone and Carew were my Villa guilty pleasures, so i had to put one of them in!

I think a few players deserve an honourable mention, like Mellberg, Bouma, Barrett, Atkinson, Taylor, Townsend, Southgate, Ehiogu, Boateng, Milner, Carew (cus i like me some Carew).

image.png.e3fa0ab66f5af84685dff2f1c83dd92e.png

Edited by MaVilla

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I will do the 11 i think since i have been supporting Villa, so roughly 1990 onwards.

Granted, Carbone maybe shouldn't be there, but both Carbone and Carew were my Villa guilty pleasures, so i had to put one of them in!

I think a few players deserve an honourable mention, like Mellberg, Bouma, Barrett, Atkinson, Taylor, Townsend, Southgate, Ehiogu, Boateng, Milner, Carew (cus i like me some Carew).

Id swap Yorke for Carbone and put Saunders or Benteke up front. mabye even Joachim for Young

----------------------------------------------Martinez----------------------------------------------------

Swain--------------------Evans--------------------------McGrath----------------Staunton

-------------------------------------Taylor-----------Mortimer--------------------------------------

Little ------------------------------------Grealish--------------------------------------Morley

----------------------------------------------Shaw-----------------------------------------------------

6 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

----------------------------------------------Martinez----------------------------------------------------

Swain--------------------Evans--------------------------McGrath----------------Staunton

-------------------------------------Taylor-----------Mortimer--------------------------------------

Cowans ----------------------------------- Little ------------------------------------------Morley

-------------------------------------------------Shaw-----------------------------------------------------

I'm going to be honest here..... I can't have Gresford in it as my team is nob free. Maybe I pick him in the afterlife

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Barry and Petrov on the bench.

Cowans and Platt in the middle.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

From 92/93 season onwards

Bosnich

Delaney      laursen    mcgrath    staunton

Milner     taylor     houghton

Merson          yorke       grealish

from 1979 onwards

Martinez

Kenny Swain      Paul McGrath   Allan Evans    Colin Gibson

David Platt     Sid Cowans    Dennis Mortimer   Tony Morley

Peter Withe   John Carew

Subs: Martin Laursen, Jack Grealish, Brian Little, Dean Saunders, Jimmy Rimmer

C'mon kiddies...learn your history. Let's go all the way back to the beginning!

F: Pongo Waring (1928-35) Harry Hampton (1904-19)

M: Sid Cowans (1976-85, 88-91, 93) Billy Walker (1920-33) Dennis Mortimer (1975-84), Frank Barson (1919-22)

D George Cummings (1935-49) Gareth Barry (1998-2009) Paul McGrath (1989-96) Howard Spencer (1894-1907)

G: Sam Hardy (1912-21)

It's behind a paywall now (I downloaded it 12 years ago before it was), but if you can get to it, this Times list has very good writeups about all 50 players...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-50-greatest-aston-villa-players-ngqwzk8w2bb

Edited by TomC
Decided I needed a DM
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I like a lot of the above but every team should include Sid Cowan's, God and John Gidman.

Yes - Gordon Cowans is the glaring omission from some of the teams above. Probably more down to not everyone will have had the joy to see him play though.

• Like 2

its Rimmer or Martinez in goal, Swain or Gidman at right back, Williams or Gibson left back. Mcgrath and Evans cb. Evans rarely gets mentioned but played a a lot of games for Villa and he knew how to score a goal or two.. Conwans, Mortimer the capt, Platt. Then Little, Gray and Grealish as the front three. 

Watching a Smith interview recently. He grew up in the 70s in Great Barr the same area I grew up in and said his heroes were Little, then Gray and Shaw then latter on McGrath and asked who was the best player he has worked with. This was after he sold Grealish. He said Grealish and he was never too arrogant to learn and improve his game and was great to coach.  Despite him leaving hes the most naturally talented player we have ever had. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

I like a lot of the above but every team should include Sid Cowan's, God and John Gidman.

Gidman is on the Times list at #34. "Villa have never had a better attacking full back than John Gidman..."

LOL wonder how he would have done as a wingback in a 3-5-2.

• Like 1

Â