Josh Cavallo

The_Steve

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If you have to ask why he feels the need to come out when there’s only been two openly gay footballers in the professional English game ever… well the answer is staring you in the face really

But what if some players just don't feel the need to come out and discuss their sexuality?

You have straight players and athletes in general who won't even discuss their religion, family at all with the public.

Myself, I personally keep my whole private life off of social media.

I get what you are trying to say, but I don't think it's as cut and dry and depicted 

It's hard for me to believe that every gay player in the game is " scared " to come out.

Some might simply just not want to.

Also, as annoying as it might be for some to hear, the LGBT community is still, in reality, a very small percentage of the population. So it's inaccurate to just assume that there are thousands and thousands of LGBT athletes who are just " worried " to come out, maybe there simply aren't as many as people think? ( And maybe a large percentage of that percentage, don't feel the need to announce it? )

IMO of course.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If you have to ask why he feels the need to come out when there’s only been two openly gay footballers in the professional English game ever… well the answer is staring you in the face really

Hitzlperger had to announce it when he retired and he is a big name German international. A young kid at Blackpool is going to be tougher

I think Robbie Rogers played at Leeds after he came out. I do wonder what fan reactions he received. He also retired when he announced but reversed his decision to play a few more years

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

But what if some players just don't feel the need to come out and discuss their sexuality?

You have straight players and athletes in general who won't even discuss their religion, family at all with the public.

I get what you are trying to say, but I don't think it's as cut and dry and depicted 

It's hard for me to believe that every gay player in the game is " scared " to come out.

Also, as annoying as it might be for some to hear, the LGBT community is still, in reality, a very small percentage of the population. So it's inaccurate to just assume that there are thousands and thousands of LGBT athletes who are just " worried " to come out, maybe there simply aren't as many as people think?

IMO of course.

i can't speak for you, but i can quite happily keep my private life off social media etc. if i was gay, i wouldn't need to tell anyone.

but this guy works in a male dominated industry where even a league 2 player would be in the public eye. any idea how hard it must be for him to keep coming up with excuses as to why he's not shagging the various girls that find their way into the VIP areas of blackpool bars and nightclubs along with his team mates? when the centre forward shows him a photo at training saying "i had her at the weekend...nice eh?" and him having to feign interest

he can now be himself. if he starts seeing someone, he can now be honest. OK he's not an elite player but one would assume that if he becomes a regular at blackpool, he'll be spotted in town. he can now go on dates, have relationships, get married without having to keep it secret. if a fan wants a selfie in town and he's there with his partner, he no longer would need to refer to him as his 'mate'

so yes, he does need to come out publicly. and it's a big deal because players are absolutely scared to come out. this lad could pave the way for others.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Hitzlperger had to announce it when he retired and he is a big name German international. A young kid at Blackpool is going to be tougher

I think Robbie Rogers played at Leeds after he came out. I do wonder what fan reactions he received. He also retired when he announced but reversed his decision to play a few more years

how is this the first time i'm hearing this? honestly never knew this

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i can't speak for you, but i can quite happily keep my private life off social media etc. if i was gay, i wouldn't need to tell anyone.

but this guy works in a male dominated industry where even a league 2 player would be in the public eye. any idea how hard it must be for him to keep coming up with excuses as to why he's not shagging the various girls that find their way into the VIP areas of blackpool bars and nightclubs along with his team mates? when the centre forward shows him a photo at training saying "i had her at the weekend...nice eh?" and him having to feign interest

he can now be himself. if he starts seeing someone, he can now be honest. OK he's not an elite player but one would assume that if he becomes a regular at blackpool, he'll be spotted in town. he can now go on dates, have relationships, get married without having to keep it secret. if a fan wants a selfie in town and he's there with his partner, he no longer would need to refer to him as his 'mate'

so yes, he does need to come out publicly. and it's a big deal because players are absolutely scared to come out. this lad could pave the way for others.

Agreed and understood.

This I reckon would be more for media and general public. ( Who can be horrible at times, especially media, despise them )

I actually feel like with alot of these players, their team mates, friends, local community and so on might actually already know to be fair!

Your points are very valid mate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

how is this the first time i'm hearing this? honestly never knew this

I brought it up at a stuttgart game, was on a stag do in the queue for a beer we obviously stood out like sore thumbs cos I got a lot of stuttgart fans talking to me about English football

"I'm villa" 

"villa?" 

"yeah, remember der hammer hitzlsperger?" 

The responses from anyone who heard me say his name were shocking, spitting on the floor type stuff, surprised me at just how bad it was 

• Sad 3

35 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I brought it up at a stuttgart game, was on a stag do in the queue for a beer we obviously stood out like sore thumbs cos I got a lot of stuttgart fans talking to me about English football

"I'm villa" 

"villa?" 

"yeah, remember der hammer hitzlsperger?" 

The responses from anyone who heard me say his name were shocking, spitting on the floor type stuff, surprised me at just how bad it was 

Was it definitely because of the sexuality rather than anything that's gone on at that club? I always imagined Germany to be quite liberal but I'm not sure what I've based that on!

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Was it definitely because of the sexuality rather than anything that's gone on at that club? I always imagined Germany to be quite liberal but I'm not sure what I've based that on!

Berlin is liberal and some of the bigger cities maybe a bit more but its a very Christian country

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Berlin is liberal and some of the bigger cities maybe a bit more but its a very Christian country

Further south the worse it gets I think, bavaria is very religious but I base that on them having 2 more religious days off than I have 😂

And it was definitley homophobic, had a few faggot comments 

The timing interests me.  I would imagine hes announced it right at the end of the season so that the interest dies down a bit before he actually has to play again.  I mean interest in both the distracting media interest that he will no doubt have to deal with for the next few days/weeks as well as the rival fan interest.   I'm sure there will still be some chants aimed at him next season, but maybe not as many as if he had to go play away to millwall or something this coming Saturday.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Then that's fine. But the point is if there's only been 2 openly gay footballers EVER, then quite obviously there is an issue with players being openly gay

I don't see how any of this is relevant

You're right, some might not want to. Again I'm not sure what your point is. Some might not want to, like some gay men who aren't footballers don't want to. But MOST men who are gay but not footballers do choose to come out. So why don't footballers? It can't be because they all don't want to

Also, as annoying as it might be for some to hear, the LGBT community is still, in reality, a very small percentage of the population. So it's inaccurate to just assume that there are thousands and thousands of LGBT athletes who are just " worried " to come out, maybe there simply aren't as many as people think? ( And maybe a large percentage of that percentage, don't feel the need to announce it? )

Statistically speaking there should be 500 gay male footballers playing the game right now in the UK. That's presently, not ever. If you extrapolate that for ever you are looking at thousands of players who by your reckoning, just didn't fancy coming out and decided to live a lie for their entire career/lives

IMO of course.

Answers in bold

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I personally cant see the need to tell the world what your sexual preferences are.I mean you dont hear people comming out and saying "im a cross dresser" or "I like to wear womens underwear" or that they like to be spanked/whipped.So,why do they feel the need to tell everyone that they are gay ?!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Also when you consider that the first professional footballer in the UK LITERALLY KILLED HIMSELF because of it (at least in part) then do you really not think people might hide their sexuality in the game?

👆

Spot on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I personally cant see the need to tell the world what your sexual preferences are.I mean you dont hear people comming out and saying "im a cross dresser" or "I like to wear womens underwear" or that they like to be spanked/whipped.So,why do they feel the need to tell everyone that they are gay ?!

Are you really making that comparison?

Really?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Also when you consider that the first professional footballer in the UK LITERALLY KILLED HIMSELF because of it (at least in part) then do you really not think people might hide their sexuality in the game?

Understood, but let's be honest, the difference between society then, and now, is incomparable.

That's why I've said, it's probably why some people like myself, IGNORANTLY i'll admit, based on responses, haven't understood why it's even  a " thing " in 2022.

Obviously appreciate the enlightenment though.

3 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Mental. Just wow.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Yes,why not ? They are telling people their sexual preferences.

Honestly mate I'm not even going to reply. Just bow out of this one before you dig your hole any further. 

Â