Josh Cavallo

The_Steve

Shocking it’s taken this long, society sometimes is cruel. Fair play, brave lad. Hopefully the first steps in allowing others to feel brave enough to not have to hide because of chimp like smooth brain morons ruining society. 

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

Shocking it’s taken this long, society sometimes is cruel. 

For this reason, I'm not shocked. Football attracts some of the worst in society. It doesn't feel that long ago I was stood on the Holte hearing thousands of people chant "Upson takes it up the arse".

Well done to him for braving it, hopefully the reaction allows other peope to be comfortable doing the same.

Said in the past that we need some footballers to come out in order to tackle the problems that will inevitably come with it.

I'm sure that unfortunately Josh and other footballers that come out will be the subject of abuse. I just hope it's tackled appropriately to pave the way for players in future to come out safely

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

For this reason, I'm not shocked. Football attracts some of the worst in society. It doesn't feel that long ago I was stood on the Holte hearing thousands of people chant "Upson takes it up the arse".

Well done to him for braving it, hopefully the reaction allows other peope to be comfortable doing the same.

journalists?

i think there's an unfair criticism of football fans around this, don't get me wrong there will be a large portion of idiots but i would also think that the ability to cope with that is easier than the ability to cope with the media prying in to your life, if a PL player especially an english one came out then they'd be front page of the red tops, their private life is over

that to me is the bigger reason why you would keep quiet rather than homophobic chanting 

• Like 2

He isn't the first top flight player, I am sure Rogers played in the MLS after he came out of retirement. 

Obviously it doesn't take anything away from his bravery. Hopefully he is treated with respect by fans

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Will openly gay players or those wanting to be out want to play for clubs owned by human rights abusers? I mean, if Australia qualify for the World Cup it raises some serious questions about their safety 

Knowing FIFA they'll probably demand that Josh declares himself straight or he'll be banned from the world cup

Good for him for having the guts to do this, but it really annoys me that this is a thing he feels has to do and that it is even remotely newsworthy.

Hopefully we'll reach a point soon where it isn't something that anybody ever needs to worry about let alone make public announcements about.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Good for him for having the guts to do this, but it really annoys me that this is a thing he feels has to do and that it is even remotely newsworthy.

Hopefully we'll reach a point soon where it isn't something that anybody ever needs to worry about let alone make public announcements about.

This is where I'm at with it, he's announced it, obviously it is going to make the news as he is the first player to come out or whatever, write that one article and then leave it at that, don't turn him into a celebrity or a poster boy unless it is for his abilities on the pitch otherwise it will be counter productive, some players may want to just come out quietly without any big announcement and if there are constant stories about it (positive or negative) then it will make it difficult for some people.

I couldn't care less and if everyone else took that approach (including the media) then it wouldn't be newsworthy at all.

• Like 2

A good day for the game.

There was actually a ref in football league who came out the other week and barely anything was said so hopefully this shows at some point in next decade many more players/other people involved in football will feel comfortable enough if they so wish to announce it although of course any big premier league player will get huge publicity.

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

He isn't the first top flight player, I am sure Rogers played in the MLS after he came out of retirement. 

Obviously it doesn't take anything away from his bravery. Hopefully he is treated with respect by fans

I assume it's current registered player. Didn't Tommy Hitz do his announcement the day after he retired IIRC?

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

This is where I'm at with it, he's announced it, obviously it is going to make the news as he is the first player to come out or whatever, write that one article and then leave it at that, don't turn him into a celebrity or a poster boy unless it is for his abilities on the pitch otherwise it will be counter productive, some players may want to just come out quietly without any big announcement and if there are constant stories about it (positive or negative) then it will make it difficult for some people.

I couldn't care less and if everyone else took that approach (including the media) then it wouldn't be newsworthy at all.

And in a perfect world etc....

If an England international outed himself you'd have all the chat shows lining up, that's how it is really. When Gareth Thomas said it as high profile Rugby player he was on plenty of them around the time.

I think though anyone would look at the fuss over taking the knee from minority of crowds and conclude why bother even if it's a different thing.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

As great as this is, I can’t help being angry that this even makes the news. Why in the 21st century should this even be a bloody talking point?

Its like racism and the fanfare about Obama becoming the first black president, we’ve only beat this shit as a society when no one bats a eyelid to this sort of stuff. 

I’ve had a couple of beers tonight so I’ve probably not articulated my thoughts properly, but it’s bullshit we are even talking about this

Not the first time a high profile Australian sportsman has come out.

Ian Roberts, Australian Rugby League player, came out in the 90's. He had less to worry about though, as he was built like a steel shithouse, and could fold you up like a deckchair if you gave him any grief, but unlikely, because he was actually a very nice guy.

Edited by AJ

I long for the day when stuff like this is no longer news, but for now good for him for being brave enough to be himself.

Now, kick on, son.

Â