Josh Cavallo

The_Steve

The curse of following the most globally watch league in the world is that we gets the backwards **** from around the world tagging along. We have enough of our own words removed in the UK, but we also import hundreds of millions of them from across the world as football fans.

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The curse of following the most globally watch league in the world is that we gets the backwards **** from around the world tagging along. We have enough of our own words removed in the UK, but we also import hundreds of millions of them from across the world as football fans.

Without going off topic I think this is a problem with lots of subjects. People are quick to point at these “foreigners” which is rich because we haven’t got our flipping own house in order. 

Just now, av1 said:

Without going off topic I think this is a problem with lots of subjects. People are quick to point at these “foreigners” which is rich because we haven’t got our flipping own house in order. 

The fact that this is only the second British-based player in 30 years to come out publicly speaks to our problems here. 

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

It's exposure, isn't it? Nobody notices the international fans that watch the games, have reasonable opinions, and mind their own business.

When there's controversial news like this though, it's hard not to take note of the amount of condemnation from areas of the world that don't necessarily embrace liberal western values. It's the same shit every time there a rainbow laces even or something. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The fact that this is only the second British-based player in 30 years to come out publicly speaks to our problems here. 

Absolutely mate. When I saw this story earlier there were mixed emotions. The overriding emotion was obviously respect that this kid had the bravery to come out at such a young age. But there is also anger that in the 21st century this is even story. 

like the first black president, the first female head of state, this shit is only truly beaten when it’s no longer a story. 

34 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Usually a lot of followers from the flags they post probably joined Villa when Trez and Samatta joined Villa can be shocking when the club announce they are doing some initiative. I think it was for Rainbow laces and the club just blocked comments

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Usually a lot of followers from the flags they post probably joined Villa when Trez and Samatta joined Villa can be shocking when the club announce they are doing some initiative. I think it was for Rainbow laces and the club just blocked comments

I do wonder if the exposure of support for gay rights from football clubs has any effect on moderating some people's views.

Judging from the racist abuse black England players get all of the time, perhaps not

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Some of the responses are not unexpected 🙄

What do you expect, we’ve got our own on here already posting offensive stuff. It’s just embarrassing and pathetic how many troglodytes are still out there. It isn’t a vocal minority either. 

I think he'll be fine at the games, I'd imagine any idiot giving him abuse will be told to STFU by other fans like with the minority of racist fans at the games. Online though, it'll be brutal as people can just say what they like and get away with it.

It's ridiculous that there has only been 2 gay footballers that have come out in the last 30 years. Shameful really.

Well done lad ! It’s very sad that it’s such big news though , ffs a young man has to put himself at risk of abuse from the idiot brigade just because he wants to be open and honest with others and himself , hopefully other people are confident enough to follow suit 

27 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal, an people feel the need to "come out", I mean is that even a word anymore? It's up to them, alot of people still want to keep there private lives private. 

How I feel really, most reasonable fans really aren't bothered about players sexual orientations, it's 2022.

As long as it doesn't become an overwhelming spectacle, or he starts getting preferencial treatment, OR it is weaponised as a reason/ excuse for not getting in the squad, contracts etc I see no issue.

Coming from one of the most homophobic countries in the world, and living in another, you grow up and realise how ridiculous it is, that it's even a " thing "

I think a very small, loud minority of cretin Football fans make the rest of us look much worse, as a community than we actually are.

• Like 1

I give up with this topic already. Bowing out now. 

If you have to wonder why he is doing it then good Lord, I don’t know what to say to get you to understand. 

Peace. 

• Like 2

as im mates with the first openly gay cricketer steve davies on facebook (name drop there ;) ) i'll paraphrase what he said, the announcement isnt big, its huge 

i do agree about keeping private lives private though and think thats as big, if not bigger, a stumbling block than idiot fans - but maybe ive misjudged that because social media is unfortunately a despicable platform for hatred and hate begets hate* and the response to the homophobic hatred will of course spill over to racism and anti religion hatred and we'll go round and round again - hopefully because this kid, without wanting to belittle him, is "only" a blackpool player hopefully he can just go on and have a normal life and football career rather than having the sun journalists going through his bins

* where's that saying from?! feels like its the simpsons 

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/entry/stop-waiting-for-male-footballers-to-come-out_uk_61aa1fe5e4b0f398af202ea8/

Good article on why it’s important right now and why hopefully in the future players won’t have to do this. 

A few words that should be familiar to those who aren’t white men: Representation, inclusivity & inspiration. 

Edited by Ingram85

15 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I give up with this topic already. Bowing out now. 

If you have to wonder why he is doing it then good Lord, I don’t know what to say to get you to understand. 

Peace. 

Mate, to be honest, I don't the the comments come from a place of malicious intent.

If anything, maybe ignorance, and people like me might need better education on the topic.

I just naturally assumed that I'm 2022 this would be a non issue. 

If there is a serious problem with homophobia in the game, especially on developed nations, I'm probably ( wrongly ) oblivious to it.

I can't picture any modern dressing room batting an eyelid, aside from possibly banter. (Maybe unknowingly insensitive ? )

Bare in mind, I even think it's bizarre that large news stories are made out of players being allowed to break their fasts etc. ( I've seen some ridiculous comments on those )

If the aim is to enlighten or change the " backwards " football fans on social media, unfortunately, that will never happen, they'll just become more isolated.

Â