Phobias

mjmooney

Not sure if a thread already exists, if it does mods may wish to merge. 

According to this site these are the ten most common phobias in the UK today: 

1. Heights (Acrophobia)

2. Public speaking (Glossophobia)

3. Snakes (Ophidiophobia)

4. Flying (Aerophobia) 

5. Spiders (Arachnophobia)

6. Crowds/Being outside (Agoraphobia) 

7. Clowns (Coulrophobia) 

8. Enclosed spaces (Claustrophobia)

9. Mice and rats (Musophobia) 

10. The dark (Nyctophobia) 

I don't think I suffer from any of them unduly. I mean, I'd be a bit wary of venomous snakes or spiders. I wouldn't fancy climbing a huge radio mast or being shut inside a tiny windowless room, but all that seems like common sense. Clowns is just silliness created by horror films, and I positively enjoy flying and public speaking (amazed that's as high as #2).  

One thing I don't much like is being out at sea, out of sight of land. Wouldn't consider dinghy sailing as a hobby. Not really 'phobia' level, though. 

Oh, wait. Roller coasters, and white knuckle fairground rides generally. I guess that's a combo of heights and flying, I just hate the out-of-control 'stomach dropping' sensation, can't understand why anybody would chose to do it voluntarily (and pay for the privilege!) 

Got any phobias, VTers? 

My main ones are :-

1. Heights (Acrophobia)

3. The sea in general

4. Enclosed spaces (Claustrophobia) - Not small room / Lifts  etc but for example,  in a cave and I might get stuck and cant move forward or back.

5. Talking to Small Heath people or being in the same place as them if they are openly wearing the top's and that.  I don't like that at all,  no joke.  (This is very similar to number 9 actually). Mate.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

On topic when we lose a game. Scares the hell out of me. 

I was actually a bit scared of looking in the Morgan Sanson thread the day after the game.

Snakes is the closest to real phobia I have.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Public speaking, hate it, that's the main one 

Swimming in the sea but that's more because its horrible rather than sharks 

I hate it too. A couple of friends of mine did some hypnotherapy and they are both fine now. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I hate it too. A couple of friends of mine did some hypnotherapy and they are both fine now. 

I'd extend it to like meetings with 5/6 people and I'm the chair, I'm good with peers and with a room that I know has a shared knowledge so I can turn it in to a workshop instead but when it's people who are clueless and I have to teach them soemthing or worse sell them something I'm useless, client interviews for example where Im in a 5 man presentation team "here's why we're better" stuff I hate that 

50 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Is this really a phobia for most people?

I don't mean people don't like it, I'm not a big fan of it myself but Public Speaking is a skill that can be taught. People don't like it because a) they aren't trained and usually b) some ego / self image issue

It makes people nervous or anxious and I fully understand why people feel that but a phobia manifests itself as an overwhelming and debilitating fear. I'd be shocked if that were the case with Public Speaking

I definitely get the debilitating fear with heights but not a lot else

I don't think my inner ear is great with heights if I'm unsecured, but it's not a fear that stops me going to the top of things e.g. the Eiffel tower or looking out over a cityscape from behind a window or even being on the very top of an extended military firetruck ladder.  It's more the unsecured heights like peering over the edge of a cliff or standing on a roof that give me the mild heebie jeebies. Anywhere a good gust of wind could make you meet your maker. So I'd call that the rational end of the phobia :)

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I suffer from  Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia , which is only really a problem if watching Mary Poppins or visiting Wales  :) 

Don't forget Francophobia.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BOF said:

e.g. the Eiffel tower 

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

That is where my fear first manifested itself. I'd describe what happened but even thinking about that even causes trepidation

see .. Bloody French 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

That is where my fear first manifested itself. I'd describe what happened but even thinking about that even causes trepidation

It's a good litmus test alright. I didn't have a problem but a mate of mine couldn't do the very last bit. I must have a part of my brain that says 'we're safe here' and doesn't wobble, but if I'm unsecured then it switches off :) 

Â