Phobias

mjmooney

As most of you know and as blandy has mentioned above,these large spiders are found mostly in the bush/outback.That does not mean you wont come across them in the cities but it is rather rare to come across a Huntsman,Redback Wolf spider etc in the city ( in my experiance anyway )I have been living in Perth since 1990 and I have only seen 1Huntsman,2 Redbacks and 1 Wolf spider in all that time and I must add that suits me fine.Especially as far as the Huntsman and Wolf spiders are concerned.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Equinophobia which is a fear of horses - Long faced shifty bastards. 

Must admit, I'm not keen on horses - or indeed any large animals, including dogs. 

2 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

How does one differentiate between a phobia, and just not liking something/understanding the risks with something?

A phobia is either irrational or life impacting IIRC.

It's one thing to be nervous/ worried about getting on a plane/ public speaking/ spiders, it's another when you physically cannot engage with those things to a life limiting degree.

• Like 3

Spiders (apart from money and harvestmen), wasps, moths, dragonflies and daddy long legs. 

Meeting new people or anything awkward that could cause my social anxiety to spike. I’m a bit anti social and terrible at small talk/general conversation. 

Sharks/Crocodiles/Bears/Lions/Big Apes or monkeys. Basically anything large and powerful that can cause a horrible grisly painful death. 

Overtaking huge lorries at speed on the motorway.

46 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am ok with public speaking, I am fairly extrovert so comfortable in situations like that. By extrovert I do not mean Colin Hunt. 

I think this is the key. Maybe some of us are just egotistical showoff bastards. I did loads of it in my job, plus performing music alone or in a band, and yeah, there's always a slight frisson of nerves, but I actually enjoyed that. Interestingly, Andy Partridge of the band XTC always said he loved playing live until out of the blue he suddenly got stage fright before a gig, and the band was effectively over as a live concern. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

A phobia is either irrational or life impacting IIRC.

It's one thing to be nervous/ worried about getting on a plane/ public speaking/ spiders, it's another when you physically cannot engage with those things to a life limiting degree.

Yep, when I get my heights thing its really hard for me to actually move and I fell like throwing up

I mentally have to force myself to retrace my steps to when I felt safe last and sometimes that in itself is mentally exhausting

Having said all that I'm nowhere near as bad as I used to be since I forced myself to do the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb. It took some real mental preparation but I did it. It wasn't pleasant but it has lessened the feeling that I now get and its much easier to cope

I do deliberately put myself in situations occasionally, like maybe going up to the top of the Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool to keep testing myself. Incidentally being at the top doesn't bother me as I'm fairly enclosed, its one particular staircase around the belltower that sets me off

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think this is the key. Maybe some of us are just egotistical showoff bastards. I did loads of it in my job, plus performing music alone or in a band, and yeah, there's always a slight frisson of nerves, but I actually enjoyed that. Interestingly, Andy Partridge of the band XTC always said he loved playing live until out of the blue he suddenly got stage fright before a gig, and the band was effectively over as a live concern. 

Yep. never played live since. Which is an absolute shame. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If I came across a huntsman I think I’d be scarred for life.  I wouldn’t say I have a phobia but spiders are one of the reasons I’m never going Australia!  Silly I know. 

That reminds me of this. Documented by an American colleague. 

A couple evenings ago, Christa spotted a redback spider on the wall outside my room. It had spun a web just under the window sill. We were able to get some good pictures with our cameras. Most of the other spiders we had seen were on the range where we are not allowed to have our cameras. [Boy, there was a great one (non-dangerous, but scary looking Huntsman spider) that dropped on Christa in the portapotty. I wish I had a picture of that one...]

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm fine with public speaking and I'm an introvert. I think it's because I'm completely comfortable in my own skin and have a very 'could not give less of a shit' attitude to a lot of things generally. Younger me, on the other hand, was petrified of having to stand up in front of a crowd.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

How does one differentiate between a phobia, and just not liking something/understanding the risks with something?

As said above, it's debilitating if it's a phobia. A mate of mine had a phobia of spiders. He was the big lad in the group when we were in school. I remember we showed him a spider in my sitting room and we tried to block the door. He damn near pulled the door off its hinges to get out of the room. Phobias are not a normal response to things.

A mate of mine has a phobia of sharks. Not that he ever swims in shark-infested waters - but he can't bear to hear sharks mentioned, or see them on TV or in a book. He'd have to leave the room. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

A mate of mine has a phobia of sharks. Not that he ever swims in shark-infested waters - but he can't bear to hear sharks mentioned, or see them on TV or in a book. He'd have to leave the room. 

My wife is like that with snakes.When I had my picture taken with a rather large python she made me change my shirt as soon as we got home.

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

At least he'll avoid loan sharks :D.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

My wife is like that with snakes.When I had my picture taken with a rather large python she made me change my shirt as soon as we got home.

Move to Ireland. 

• Like 1

Â