Phobias

mjmooney

I’m afraid of very few things in life, but I have to fears and they are both a real handicap:

Heights and snakes. I can’t climb a ladder, and I detest snakes. Playing kids’ boardgames is a real problem for me 😉

But seriously, I really can’t climb ladders and I’ll not run in the woods in the summer months, for fear of surprising a an unexpecting snake basking in the sun. I know the few snakes we have in Norway are relatively harmless, but they still scare the crap out of me. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

I do deliberately put myself in situations occasionally, like maybe going up to the top of the Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool to keep testing myself. Incidentally being at the top doesn't bother me as I'm fairly enclosed, its one particular staircase around the belltower that sets me off

19438885?forceFit=0&height=400&quality=5

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

When I had my picture taken with a rather large python she made me change my shirt as soon as we got home.

23 mins and no Ken .... 

OIP.jpg

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, BOF said:

As said above, it's debilitating if it's a phobia. A mate of mine had a phobia of spiders. He was the big lad in the group when we were in school. I remember we showed him a spider in my sitting room and we tried to block the door. He damn near pulled the door off its hinges to get out of the room. Phobias are not a normal response to things.

In that case I have no known phobias. Just stuff that I'll try to avoid but not too fussed about if I don't.

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

In that case I have no known phobias. Just stuff that I'll try to avoid but not too fussed about if I don't.

I guess it's only a problem if it's something you're likely to encounter in normal daily life. So buttons, spiders, open spaces, etc. 

Short of somebody forcing me at gunpoint onto a rollercoaster, it's never going to affect me. 

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I guess it's only a problem if it's something you're likely to encounter in normal daily life. So buttons, spiders, open spaces, etc. 

Short of somebody forcing me at gunpoint onto a rollercoaster, it's never going to affect me. 

Buttons man... kills me

40 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oprah WInfrey has that

Wasn't aware of that.

The person I know is genuinely terrified of them. Someone once pranked them by filling their car with balloons and they literally couldn't do anything about it. They couldn't go near the car, they couldn't do anything to yet to rectify it.

Not sure I get it myself but then as said I'm a barely functioning person.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Wasn't aware of that.

The person I know is genuinely terrified of them. Someone once pranked them by filling their car with balloons and they literally couldn't do anything about it. They couldn't go near the car, they couldn't do anything to yet to rectify it.

Not sure I get it myself but then as said I'm a barely functioning person.

As Roy from the IT Crowd explains it's probably due to the possibility of going BANG.  I think loud noises is one of the things we are naturally meant to be scared of.

• Like 1

I knew a girl in college who had Somniphobia (Fear of sleep or going to sleep). She was genuinely petrified that if she went to sleep either she would not wake up or something would happen to her while she was sleeping. She always was popping caffeine tablets or whatever else to stay awake; it was disheartening to see. She eventually left school and I haven't seen her since, hopefully she got over it and is doing ok.

The fear of heights is strange one. 

If you are walking around Brum you are 140m above sea level.  No-one is scared of being at that height. I fly in planes without fear.  I have been in some of the world's tallest buildings without fear. But ask me to stand on the edge of a 20ft drop and legs start to feel like jelly.  

I am not scared of heights.  I am scared of falling.  That seems more like common sense than a phobia.  I'd even say that it's abnormal NOT to have a fear of falling.  

• Like 1

Here comes Leemond to weird things up again

mortuuequusphobia - fear of red sauce, tomato sauce, ketchup whatever you wanna call it, it isn't just the fact that I don't like it, the stuff freaks me out, really bad, if someone asks me to pass them a bottle of red sauce I feel like I wanna wash my hands for hours after, if there is the slightest hint of it on my plate or if someone has cut a sandwich with a knife that has a tiny tiny bit of red sauce on it then I ain't eating it, my mates used to throw sachets of the stuff at me when we used to go to the pub until I nearly lost my shit the one time, if I get any on my hand and I smell it then I'm dry heaving like a mofo

Mascots - I don't know what the name is for it but Hercules the lion, nah, I'm not having a jot of him, once went to get the new villa shirt, took me 45 minutes cuz that **** lion was hanging around by them, down the villa, first game of the season, me and my dad looking to see where our new tickets are, **** lion comes up and puts his arms around me, I **** sprinted like a gooden to the other end of the stand, **** lion. Pub I used to go to had a pig mascot and it came up behind me (after I'd had a fair few beers) and tapped me on the shoulder, it was fight or flight, I did both, punched the word removed in his snout and ran off, didn't know what else to do, **** terrify me mascots do man

• Haha 1

Not sure weather I actually have coulrophobia, but I have to say, I've never been too keen on clowns. I mean, they are just not funny, an you wouldn't laugh would you, if you looked out your window and saw one in your back garden at 2 o'clock in the morning.

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I mean, they are just not funny, an you wouldn't laugh would you, if you looked out your window and saw one in your back garden at 2 o'clock in the morning.

But that goes for anyone not just a clown

• Like 1

7 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure weather I actually have coulrophobia, but I have to say, I've never been too keen on clowns. I mean, they are just not funny, an you wouldn't laugh would you, if you looked out your window and saw one in your back garden at 2 o'clock in the morning.

It’s depends whether it was riding a bicycle far too small in a circle or possibly throwing a bucket of tinsel over another clown who happened to be passing. If not a couple bear traps will sort it 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2021 at 11:30, Big Salad said:

I knew a girl in college who had Somniphobia (Fear of sleep or going to sleep). She was genuinely petrified that if she went to sleep either she would not wake up or something would happen to her while she was sleeping. She always was popping caffeine tablets or whatever else to stay awake; it was disheartening to see. She eventually left school and I haven't seen her since, hopefully she got over it and is doing ok.

I have that. I will be trying to sleep but can’t because of my anxiety telling me that I won’t wake up if I fall asleep.

It doesn’t happen every single night, but when it does hit it keeps me up until the early hours of the morning until I just get so exhausted I pass out. I’ve gone nights without sleeping, though.

• Like 1

Â