Energy Bills

Genie

This is getting way out of hand now and is going to hurt, and potentially kill, a lot of people unless the government step in again and provide some serious help as what they have done so far will have been wiped out by the further predicted rises.

I can't see it killing people, they just won't pay there bills. There should be a huge protest like the poll tax days, no one payed that either.

I'd love to be self employed selling something people desperately needed. You could put your prices up anytime making sure you and your pals still make there millions. I mean, I understand wholesale prices of energy are high, but the billion pound energy companies wouldn't dream of taking a bit of hit on profits themselves to help the public. I can't wait to see the loss on there quarterly profits.

Something definitely needs to be done by the government. I think the price cap will be confirmed by the end of August but there's no chance of anything being sorted quickly with Johnson ticking off his bucket list and the leadership not being resolved until September. Can they get anything in place before the end of the year?

I took a recent fix offer, which on the face of it seems like a very good decision. Even that is a crazy price to be paying but the figures suggested are staggering.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I can't see it killing people, they just won't pay there bills. There should be a huge protest like the poll tax days, no one payed that either.

I'd love to be self employed selling something people desperately needed. You could put your prices up anytime making sure you and your pals still make there millions. I mean, I understand wholesale prices of energy are high, but the billion pound energy companies wouldn't dream of taking a bit of hit on profits themselves to help the public. I can't wait to see the loss on there quarterly profits.

1) don’t pay bills and they cut you off but 2) far more importantly, the really vulnerable because they are really poor are on pre pay meters so don't even get that luxury but I think you know that already. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

1) don’t pay bills and they cut you off but 2) far more importantly, the really vulnerable because they are really poor are on pre pay meters so don't even get that luxury but I think you know that already. 

They don't cut you off anymore. I doubt any of the vulnerable will go without heat, prepay meter, unsure?

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They don't cut you off anymore. I doubt any of the vulnerable will go without heat, prepay meter, unsure?

Well if you can't afford to put money in the meter the energy goes off. Surely you can understand that

You do get your emergency £5 but that's never going to last long at pre-pay prices

When I was 18 and had my first place (a tiny 1 bedroom flat) it had a pre-payment meter. 

I remember it costing about £1 a day in electricity back about 2000/2001. 

I’d hate to think how far £1 goes now, about 8 hours?

Shits about to get real this winter. I know the credit crunch was bad, but I wasn’t really old enough for it to properly hurt me. What’s about to happen in the next 6-12 months will be devastating for my finances. There is going to be a serious amount of financial pain for many people. 

• Like 1

Just reading that the forecast for the price cap next January (price cap goes from being revised every 6 months to every 3 months from this October) is £3,850 for average dual fuel usage. January 2022 the price cap was £1,271 so it will have tripled within a year. 

Edited by markavfc40

20 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Just reading that the forecast for the price cap next January (price cap goes from being revised every 6 months to every 3 months from this October) is £3,850 for average dual fuel usage. January 2022 the price cap was £1,271 so it will have tripled within a year. 

Crazy isn’t it.   

Funny thing is we all know it’s going up and we know that prices aren’t going to fall for ages while Russia plays its war games.

The government should be massively rolling out renewables and insulation schemes to get ahead of the curve rather than sitting on their hands and shrugging. 

Edited by ender4
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

January 2022 the price cap was £1,271 so it will have tripled within a year

And going back a month or two earlier my bill was about 60 quid a month. The company went kaput so now it’s the cap level and if it goes up to 300 a month then that’s a 400% increase in about 15 months.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Apart  from the c. 20k people who already  die every year as a result of living in cold homes. And that  was before the price increases 

• Sad 1

Got to pray its a mild winter this year. 

It's bonkers how the actions of 1 country can turn the whole western world into chaos 

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Got to pray its a mild winter this year. 

It's bonkers how the actions of 1 country can turn the whole western world into chaos 

Most of the rise is put onto the standing charge unfortunately which you pay regardless of how much gas/electric you use. 

As for this being down to Russia let's not forget this all started way before the war in Ukraine and the price cap had gone up by 55% before the war.

Not sure what the use of a price cap is, if all they do is keep increasing it? Went up 54% in Feb alone??

Also reading these energy companies that went bust due the increases, made the bosses millions, an should never been allowed to be set up in the first place, without regulation. But who's gonna investigate Ofgem?

Just reading that it has been announced this morning that Centica, who own British Gas, profits have increased 5 fold in the first 6 months of this year in comparison to the same 6 month period last year. Up from 262 million to 1.34 billion pound. We are having our pants pulled down aren't we. 

• Like 1

Â