January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Please rewatch it and tell me how he can take Bruno out without giving away a Penalty? I assume you mean Fred and no I think Mings would have been given a red card as he's last man at that point with Fred running towards goal. Mings did the right thing, stood up and didn't lunge forcing Fred to pass. Had Luiz done his job (like Konsa did with Cavani) then it's no goal. 

There lies the 64 million dollar question.....is it his job?

because whenever, I address this, I'm being told in some quarters he is a DLP and its not his job....In which case my response is....well who's job is it?

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

There lies the 64 million dollar question.....is it his job?

because whenever, I address this, I'm being told in some quarters he is a DLP and its not his job....In which case my response is....well who's job is it?

The way we set up in midfield is with two shuttler/box to box players to left and right of the midfield three and a deeper defensive screening player. At it's core the 2 CBs and 3 MF are the defenders in the team. The full backs and front three are the attacking players. When one of the left or right midfielders is joining in with the attack the "screening" defensive midfielder covers for him by moving laterally into the space. 

DLP is not a role we use. We play out from the back via passing and any one of the players should be able to beat the press with a longer range pass. This is because when the opposition push up to press as we play from the back it opens up space in midfield so this pass can be played. We've seen Mings and Hause play these passes along with Luiz. It's a skill expected from the defensive players. It's not a specific skill required of a DLP as we don't play with that as a specific role.

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

Only 2 teams, Norwich & Watford have lost more games than us, to date, this season...4 more and we will equal last season.

We have just signed a predominantly attacking full back and are linked with Luis Suarez, another attacker.

Our midfield is also predominantly of an attacking nature.

When are we going to sign some players, who can help us keep the ball out of our net?

You also avoid losing by scoring goals to be fair. And transfers don't happen in any particular order.

• Like 1

So, Gerrard plays Luiz in the role even though he lacks the key defensive skills to excel in the role to the level we require. Nakamba is excellent at the defensive aspect of the role and the energy required but lacks the longer range passing we'd want from him. 

The switch between Smith and Gerrard is primarily full backs = attacking players. So the main skill set needs is attacking skills like crossing, ability to create chances, passing skills etc.. at expense of defensive skills. While with the midfielders there is more emphasis on defensive qualities and energy as they cover the full backs or screen in front of the CBs halting attacks in transition.

This is why we've made signing of Digne to take Targett's role. Why Nakamba was shining in the new formation and tactics. It's why we need that Bissouma type player in central midfield.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

So, Gerrard plays Luiz in the role even though he lacks the key defensive skills to excel in the role to the level we require. Nakamba is excellent at the defensive aspect of the role and the energy required but lacks the longer range passing we'd want from him. 

The switch between Smith and Gerrard is primarily full backs = attacking players. So the main skill set needs is attacking skills like crossing, ability to create chances, passing skills etc.. at expense of defensive skills. While with the midfielders there is more emphasis on defensive qualities and energy as they cover the full backs or screen in front of the CBs halting attacks in transition.

This is why we've made signing of Digne to take Targett's role. Why Nakamba was shining in the new formation and tactics. It's why we need that Bissouma type player in central midfield.

Amazing when you play someone in a position that suits their game how much better they look…

Edited by ChicagoVillan1983

I put Nakambas resurgence down to a simple tweak.

We brought the other 2 mids closer to him! Under Smith the 3 were too far apart too often. This made their passing more risky and inaccurate. Its benefitted Nakamba in particular.

That's how I see it anyway.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The way we set up in midfield is with two shuttler/box to box players to left and right of the midfield three and a deeper defensive screening player. At it's core the 2 CBs and 3 MF are the defenders in the team. The full backs and front three are the attacking players. When one of the left or right midfielders is joining in with the attack the "screening" defensive midfielder covers for him by moving laterally into the space. 

DLP is not a role we use. We play out from the back via passing and any one of the players should be able to beat the press with a longer range pass. This is because when the opposition push up to press as we play from the back it opens up space in midfield so this pass can be played. We've seen Mings and Hause play these passes along with Luiz. It's a skill expected from the defensive players. It's not a specific skill required of a DLP as we don't play with that as a specific role.

I am not dismissing your analyse, but we could all argue the midfield all day long.

The facts are we have lost 11 games and conceded 32 goals, with on ly the season half gone....and in the first half on Saturday, it could have been a lot more....at times, we are "wide open"....We say what we do about the midfield, but at times, they stand off, and invite the opposition to claim the initiative, this leads to individual errors, finger pointing and desperation creeps in....it causes good players to look like parks players.

Conceding the initiative is a major problem for us, it was under Dean Smith, and it still is....SG calling our first half "Passive" that is another way of saying what I am.....We make our opponents look like World beaters, no better example than Lukaku and how badly we handled him and how well Brighton Handled him.....it stares us in the face.

I spoke to a guy, before the game, making his way to his seat, on Saturday, I Said "will we win" just breaking the ice, he said"No", I said "why"...He replied   " Midfield".....its so obvious to so many.

Why we have been so reluctant to bring in players with Defensive nous, is mind boggling to me.....This is not a criticism of any one manager, its just so bloody obvious to me.

We was in this position, when we eventually brought in Tyrone Mings, to offer some presence, but it just seems such a reluctance to me....its like every signing has to be exciting, which points to offensive players.

Our team needs proper balance, our midfield needs proper balance....I know you mention the 3 midfielders as the defence in our team, whether it supposed to be or not.....it simply isn't, who in there has a natural nose to defend?....most stand off, when they haven't got the ball, and come alive, when they receive the ball.....This is helping to make the team "easy to beat"

Only recently, with his improved individual performances, has Nakamba been recognised for what he is.....sure we need better, but he at least does what it says on the tin....The injust as sent us back to status quo.

I would guess, most fans have an issue with Midfield...sure we don't score enough, but we are still 4 ahead of Spurs, with Kane and Son in their Armoury.....and despite behind us in goals scored they have lost 5 v our 11.

The final result on Saturday, was more relief than anything, but the last 20 minutes was up there with the great games....The first half had the natives very unsettled and the spectacle was just woeful.

We have to get back to a bit of resillience, SG initially brought in and we need for soem additional players to help us with it.....We can't keep relying on manager Bounce.

Everton, will be up for it on Saturday, with all the criticism, like United was......we need to be ready this time.

Rant over.

UTV

44 minutes ago, Rolta said:

You also avoid losing by scoring goals to be fair. And transfers don't happen in any particular order.

Yeah.

and to be equally fair we have failed to do that, only 3 times out of 20 games.....so in 11 games we have been out scored.

we have scored 4 more than Spurs, and they are in 6th place.

I am not suggesting scoring goals is not important ( offense fills stadiums, defence wins trophies), I am merely saying we have to defend better, if we have any aspirations of climbing this league.

and if that is accepted.....we have to start signing a few, who can help with that.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

57 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Amazing when you play someone in a position that suits their game how much better they look…

Its a fair comment.

but if Mings played in goal.....we would talk about his performances as a goal keeper.....not a centre back.

you can only say, what you see.

5 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Given the players we have now where would you play him? He can’t play CDM and SG is against buying ‘names’ to sit on the bench.

Maybe Gerrard learned everything he knows about management from Kevin Keegan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

I’m not saying he’s no good. I’m saying that he’s not of the required level if we want to be challenging for European football regularly. That is backed up by the evidence that no team at that level has ever shown any interest in him when normally anyone they think is good enough is hovered up sooner or later. 

And neither is Konsa, for me he's worse than Mings, take the united Goal in the cup, he should of picked up McTominy, he could see him running in and just stood there and not challenged him, then points as Mings to blame, who was marking Varane. 

That's just 1 example, he makes as many errors as Mings but as he's not the scapegoat it's never mentioned. 

When Mings is not playing Konsa hasn't a clue and can't command the defence, together they are good and with a solid DM they will get better as our defence has little or no protection so always under pressure. 

Oh IMHO 

• Like 1