January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

City might have a spot open with Mendy looking to be in big trouble, they dont actually have a recognised senior left back. Cancelo is a converted right back and Zinchenko started as a midfielder

A fair point! Haven’t seen their name mentioned though. If Chelsea don’t sign him, could we be front runners? 

19 minutes ago, Creeper said:

I just think the ship has sailed on that in 2019 when he rejected us to stay at Leeds. I know that we still like him, but I think if he does leave Leeds he will end up at Man City. Only way I see him leaving is if Leeds go down. 

The ship could return to port Aston if Leeds continue to struggle/relegated and we start getting European football over the next year or two. 

P.S. I just read your post properly. Yeah what you said!  

Edited by DaveAV1

17 minutes ago, Creeper said:

I just think the ship has sailed on that in 2019 when he rejected us to stay at Leeds. I know that we still like him, but I think if he does leave Leeds he will end up at Man City. Only way I see him leaving is if Leeds go down. 

If he wasn't injured, wouldn't he be 50m/60m? I really can't see us dropping that amount of cash. But, if we sign Coutinho my understanding of Villa's transfer budget and strategy is potentially flawed

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If he was on the back of 20 consecutive games with 10 goals and 7 assists then there is no way we would be discussing him on here. Coutinho is a player that is above where AVFC currently stand. As a result of his difficulties at Barca, his injuries, Barca being a  financial basket case and Gerrard as our manager means we have a sniff of a chance. We are not going to sign pedigree world class players unless there is some risk or problems with his recent seasons. If we want to up the standard of players we sign this is without question at the absolute highest level. He may not work out, there is big risk but the potential reward is HUGE

Agreed, perhaps all the ducks may be lining up at the right time?

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

i haven't seen much of Digne with Eveton. But how the F can a player who can't get into an Everton team that is shyte have transfer talk for him is Man City and Chelsea?

He was dropped because he's (apparently) fallen out with Benitez.

Chelsea definitely need a left back at least temporarily, and Man City could do with one given the Mendy issues

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

If Digne isn’t going to Newcastle and Chelsea stall, I don’t see who else in the PL is better suited to take him than us. Liverpool won’t sign him with Robertson, nor will City. Spurs have Reguillon who is similar and Arsenal have Tierney. West Ham have Creswell and Masuaku. United won’t be in for a LB with Shaw and Telles at the club. 

If he joins us, he is guaranteed to start provided he performs and I’m pretty sure we can give him 120k a week or whatever he wants. If he goes to Chelsea, he’ll be looking for another club in 12 months time. 

Whether you rate him or prefer Hickey, Digne to Villa does make sense.

Effectively blowing our wage structure if we pay him 120k.

Not sure he's that good or even that much of an improvement for that. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Effectively blowing our wage structure if we pay him 120k.

Not sure he's that good or even that much of an improvement for that. 

Isn't Danny Ings on 120k a week. How would paying another player the same be blowing our wage structure? Didn't we offer Jack 200k a week to stay at Villa. I suspect our wage structure may be different to what u believe it to be

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Isn't Danny Ings on 120k a week. How would paying another player the same be blowing our wage structure? Didn't we offer Jack 200k a week to stay at Villa. I suspect our wage structure may be different to what u believe it to be

Danny Ings for me has a certain pedigree as a elite striker and is payed accordingly. Also factoring in alot believe he was kinda a post Jack 'pick me up' signing and so payed whatever it took. 

Digne is only a LB and hardly an elite one at that. I don't feel his standard is above Ollie, Emi x2 or even Tyrone. 

Digne will then set the standard of base level wages for future negotiations from the top players and then there's no return. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Danny Ings for me has a certain pedigree as a elite striker and is payed accordingly. Also factoring in alot believe he was kinda a post Jack 'pick me up' signing and so payed whatever it took. 

Digne is only a LB and hardly an elite one at that. I don't feel his standard is above Ollie, Emi x2 or even Tyrone. 

Digne will then set the standard of base level wages for future negotiations from the top players and then there's no return. 

yeah i agree with u on that.But that just shows our wage structure has changed imo. It will probably set a baseline for signing top players in the future but that is a consequence of becoming a top team. All the top clubs pay 100k+ wages and multiples of that too. If we want to join the party that appears to be the cover charge

1 hour ago, StewieGriffin said:

He was dropped because he's (apparently) fallen out with Benitez.

Chelsea definitely need a left back at least temporarily, and Man City could do with one given the Mendy issues

Thx, I had a read of the Everton forum. They backup what u say and they also really rate him. They think he will be a big success at another PL club

A lot is made of our wage structure. I'm not sure it's all that relevant anymore. We'll pay big wages to players who deserve it. That's nothing new to NSWE and won't phase them.

Most Villa players would be in awe of the likes of Coutinho rather than compare their pay packets.

6 hours ago, Mazrim said:

A lot is made of our wage structure. I'm not sure it's all that relevant anymore. We'll pay big wages to players who deserve it. That's nothing new to NSWE and won't phase them.

Most Villa players would be in awe of the likes of Coutinho rather than compare their pay packets.

An incoming tide raises all boats or whatever that saying is 

Its why barca are broke, there will always be some sort of scale, we're currently negotiating with Luiz for example (I hope) he might be asking for £100k a week as a first team starter and ings on £120k, a couple more players come in on £150k, £180k, £200k and then Luiz isn't asking for £100k anymore he wants £150k as well, konsa who signed his £80k deal last year starts to feel underpaid

Another example would be chuk, how much is he going to be offered? We'd probably £30k is a great wage but when the other squad players are all starting to creep over 6 figures what does he ask for? 

Barca got themselves in to a position where their 18 year old Moriba was rumoured to be asking for £160k a week because that was the going rate on their scale 

Its still definitley a thing 

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

An incoming tide raises all boats or whatever that saying is 

Its why barca are broke, there will always be some sort of scale, we're currently negotiating with Luiz for example (I hope) he might be asking for £100k a week as a first team starter and ings on £120k, a couple more players come in on £150k, £180k, £200k and then Luiz isn't asking for £100k anymore he wants £150k as well, konsa who signed his £80k deal last year starts to feel underpaid

Another example would be chuk, how much is he going to be offered? We'd probably £30k is a great wage but when the other squad players are all starting to creep over 6 figures what does he ask for? 

Barca got themselves in to a position where their 18 year old Moriba was rumoured to be asking for £160k a week because that was the going rate on their scale 

Its still definitley a thing 

Yeah, Barca and the like are an extreme example. There was literally no control. No sense. We don't have many players who deserve 100k per week. So the answer has to be no. Each case has to be judged on merit. We can and should pay exceptional money for exceptional players. It doesn't mean everybody gets a raise. Of course, if two comparable players are on very differing contracts, that's not right.

To be honest, I think an NFL style salary cap is the right way to go but I digress.

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Yeah, Barca and the like are an extreme example. There was literally no control. No sense. We don't have many players who deserve 100k per week. So the answer has to be no. Each case has to be judged on merit. We can and should pay exceptional money for exceptional players. It doesn't mean everybody gets a raise. Of course, if two comparable players are on very differing contracts, that's not right.

To be honest, I think an NFL style salary cap is the right way to go but I digress.

I think it does 

I think deserve is based on a comparison between player x and player y, if they're both 1st team starters playing 38 PL games a season then their wages should be comparable, the fact that player x is a far better footballer than player y is a little bit lost, deserve isn't based on footballing ability 

Danny Ings being a sub on £120k a week... How long till the agent of first choice Watkins raises that as an issue? 

That's how I think it works anyway 

Agree with the salary cap but for me it's more about stockpiling and the likes of man City having £50m world cup winners on £200k a week as 3rd choice players, I'd like to see some sort of wage structure brought in that lead to other clubs in the league being seen as more advantageous than the bench of a top 6 team 

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Is it true we have made a bid for Kalvin Philips? Our owners ain’t messing about! 

Hope so. I’d break the bank. He’s exactly..EXACTLY what we need.

12 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Thanks,

Looks a technically skilful player. Concerns would be that he is only 5'9", so I can't imagine he would be great at defending crosses into the box. Also, very few if any highlights of him crossing the ball into the box. I expected to see clips of a fast FB flying down the line and crossing the ball beautifully into the middle of the box 🤔

Didn’t the video say his weaknesses are tackling and crossing. Sounds familiar.

Going into the second half of the season with

Watkins
Coutinho                 Buendia
       Luiz           McGinn
              New DM
Digne  Mings  Konsa  Cash
                  Emi

Would be quite nice. The DM would have to be good tho to cover the left hand side. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2