January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

i was just reading this forum and suddenly the "at least dean smith got rashica in the end" came into my head from nowhere....going back to bed now

ps..expect a january signing from rangers...sigh

Edited by OLDVILLAIN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ejs1111 said:

Who was that young DM everyone was certain we were in for over the summer?  His name is escaping me now.  

Ahhhh yessss...  Papa Sarr.  TRUST THE VENN DIAGRAM :detect:

Maybe we go back in for him now that Nakamba is on the shelf?

Spurs signed him already

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Cheikh Doucoure may still be in the cards though. Less convinced he's a better option than Nakamba now though. But if competition for places is what we're after - and with Marv out long term - a competitor may be exactly what we ordered a d a great buy

Marv's got about 6 years on him though tbf!

11 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

There's next to no way we don't invest this Jan. I don't think we'll make 3-5 signings but I'd be amazed if we didn't make 1 or 2 moves. We'd stand still with nobody in bound and only 5 games ago we hated half our team 😂

We'll see I don't feel we have to buy for the sake of it. Not sure anyone 'hated half the team' we have a decent squad who were under performing and a change of manager has turned that around.

@VillaAnalytics (twitter) mentioned on the Claret&Blue Pod Boubacar Kamara as someone he thinks we should go after.  CDM/CB, could replace Mings at CB in a few years potentially...  I am 1000% on board and that's the type of move you make if you've got European aspirations in my opinion.  Not sure it's feasible in any stretch of the imagination, but I would cream in my shorts.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheLegendOfLeonBailey31 said:

@VillaAnalytics (twitter) mentioned on the Claret&Blue Pod Boubacar Kamara as someone he thinks we should go after.  CDM/CB, could replace Mings at CB in a few years potentially...  I am 1000% on board and that's the type of move you make if you've got European aspirations in my opinion.  Not sure it's feasible in any stretch of the imagination, but I would cream in my shorts.

Yeah he's been mentioned for a while, how contract is up in the summer and he'd be a great addition for us. 

Unfortunately someone posted he's expected to join Bayern in the summer on a free

• Like 1

It's all started very promisingly for Gerrard. However, recruitment is so crucial to get right.

Smith and the team were excellent at this overall, which was a critical factor in our progress. 

I'm not sure January will be the best time to judge, but we need to continue being smart in the market if we want to progress. We need to aim for a different tier of player now too - we only need a handful but they need to be top 6 standard. 

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Someone mentioned that Boubacar Kamara is off to Bayern.

I wouldn't be surprised if we moved for Glen Kamara though. If we do bring him in, I hope he's the only player Gerrard moves for from Rangers. Can't see Ryan Kent making the step up to the Premier League.

I'd argue Aribo was Rangers best player, not Kamara. 

Does anyone think we could be in for Joe Aribo? Gerrard managed him at Rangers, we were after him when he was at Charlton when Dean Smith was in charge. Played with Konsa for a couple of years whilst both were at Charlton. Scores plenty of goals, a big unit at over 6 foot tall in midfield and a type of player we don't really have in terms of physicality. 25 years old and plenty of professional experience. I think that could be a good type of signing for us, Gerrard will be looking to bring in characters who know what he is about and who he knows are about, players who have performed under him previously and those he know can add value to us here and will continue to improve.

definitely wouldn't rule this one out, either in Jan or summer

I wonder what shape our squad will be come end of next summer.

I'd expect Young to be extended. A left back signed to compete with Targett, one with pace and who is younger. I think we all know a CDM will be signed. We also need a Centre Back as Hause needs to move in order to get regular game time. Axel will go back to United. We are light in GK department I feel. I expect Kessler Hayden to be back and fighting for that RB spot.

Then Davis, AEG and Trez will leave. I do get the feeling Luiz or Sanson might go if we want to add another midfielder. I think it's unlikely though, its not a priority. It depends on Luiz contract situation I suppose.

Then in those 10 positions we've Carney, Buendia, Bailey and JJ/Watkins/Ings can also play there.

So really I think Left Back, CDM and CB are the three areas we need to improve the current squad over next two windows

• Like 1

Totwlly agree CV Byrne. Exactly how i see it going . 

Theres enough space in the squad for a really good DM to come in , especially with Dougies contract situation  and not effect potential playing time for our academy prospects in midfield .. Jacob Carney Tim Lemare and Aaron are all going to make it imo . Some to the very top and some as squad players but they all have the ability . 

Despite Targett now playing like he did last season i think a youngish top quality left back would be high up the list of priorities , especially with no youth player looking good in that position. 

And with Swinkels Feeney and Bogarde still too young to be 3rd choice centreback we will need another one . 

If we can get real top quality in the first 2 positions and then back it up with an experienced centre back i think we would be very happy and well set. 

1 hour ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Does anyone think we could be in for Joe Aribo? Gerrard managed him at Rangers, we were after him when he was at Charlton when Dean Smith was in charge. Played with Konsa for a couple of years whilst both were at Charlton. Scores plenty of goals, a big unit at over 6 foot tall in midfield and a type of player we don't really have in terms of physicality. 25 years old and plenty of professional experience. I think that could be a good type of signing for us, Gerrard will be looking to bring in characters who know what he is about and who he knows are about, players who have performed under him previously and those he know can add value to us here and will continue to improve.

definitely wouldn't rule this one out, either in Jan or summer

Who would he be an upgrade on though. I hope we are past the stage of buying squad players and that all new player will be competing immediately for 1st 11 football (bar a new GK). We have lots of good players and I hope to see SG bringing in higher calibre than what we have or a 19/20/21 year old with masses of potential for about 25m. I don't see Aribo as the type of player we should be going for

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Who would he be an upgrade on though. I hope we are past the stage of buying squad players and that all new player will be competing immediately for 1st 11 football (bar a new GK). We have lots of good players and I hope to see SG bringing in higher calibre than what we have or a 19/20/21 year old with masses of potential for about 25m. I don't see Aribo as the type of player we should be going for

Objectively he may not be an immediate upgrade on anyone, but if Gerrard rates him and sees something in the transfer, then he will be able to get performances out of him which warrant involvement in a decent premier league side i reckon. I do think we need a different type of midfielder, in the tomas soucek mould, and this guy will provide that. Look at how Nakamba has been playing under the new manager, a lot of players can surprise. Many were anti-gerrard due to the league he came from, so i think if he does decide to go in for Aribo we should back the manager to get the best out of him and add value to the team

4 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Objectively he may not be an immediate upgrade on anyone, but if Gerrard rates him and sees something in the transfer, then he will be able to get performances out of him which warrant involvement in a decent premier league side i reckon. I do think we need a different type of midfielder, in the tomas soucek mould, and this guy will provide that. Look at how Nakamba has been playing under the new manager, a lot of players can surprise. Many were anti-gerrard due to the league he came from, so i think if he does decide to go in for Aribo we should back the manager to get the best out of him and add value to the team

I completely agree, if SG wants Aribo then he should be supported in getting him and fans should give Aribo a fair crack at the whip. My opinion on Aribo is that he is a good player but I just don't see anything that would make me want to bring him to Villa as he can't keep just adding players to the squad, some must leave to make room for the new players. I don't see who Aribo would replace in the 1st team, if he was 3 or 4 years younger I could understand it but at 25 he would need to be getting into the starting 11 for me to want to see him come to Villa

• Like 1