January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Depending on injuries etc, i think in Jan the ideal targets would be a left back and a defensive midfielder, whether we can get the right target i dunno!

The biggest issue over the Jan and summer window will be who we can offload as much as who we can buy i think, our squad is pretty sizeable right now.

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

I get both arguments and it's going to be a veritable mine field knowing how best to move forward squad wise. I like having a Traore in our ammunition supply room, I also know that he should probably be behind Bailey and Buendia in the pecking order, where does that leave AEG and Trez let alone JPB and the other kids in other positions. Traore stays for me and JPB, I'm cutting out the guys in the middle, AEG and Trez out.

I honestly don’t think Traore is that lazy, JPB needs game time rather we Keep AEG who probably doesn’t have a long term future here send JPB on loan in January and reevaluate in the summer 

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I honestly don’t think Traore is that lazy, JPB needs game time rather we Keep AEG who probably doesn’t have a long term future here send JPB on loan in January and reevaluate in the summer 

Bertie's lazyness was amplified by having a poor midfield behind him. He's not a starter though for me but ideal to bring on if we are struggling to get ahead, he can sometimes make something out of nothing. Ideally we need 18 starters to pick from + or including a couple of the top kids.

• Like 2

For me personally by August I'd like to see our squad looking something like

image.png.97e4a2e8e76cecb948a7b7a88aa23453.png

So: DM, CBx2, LB and GK are my big wants.

* I can also see us moving on Luiz. Meaning we'd need another Senior CM unless Ramsey and Chuk are good enough by then to Duke it out for that role.

*I could also see another wide forward coming in, albeit in the summer. Particularly if Chuk moves back to CM with JJ. Gets Gerrard his own man in attack. I'd expect that forward to be able to challenge Bailey, Watkins and Buendia across the front 3. This would be my big summer signing.

Outs: Wes, Guilbert, AEG, Trezeguet, Tuanzebe (loan ends), Steer. Contracts end: Kalinic, Hourihane

Maybe Outs: Young (coach), Luiz, Hause (I'd keep as 5th choice, he should want to go).

The DM would need to be a bonafide starter. The CBs and LB would need to be very similar quality to our starters, to really push for their positions. Not cheap young signings.

A lot of Youth in there so would be room in the squad to sign more if we needed to.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I do agree. But i think Traore is one you keep as i think he would be a brilliant 10 . So good in confined areas due to his close control. 

Yeah he was the closest to Grealish we had last season in terms of carrying the ball up the pitch. He's class to watch moving with the ball at his feet. If Gerrard can raise his game as he has some other players he'll be one of our best players. Any ideas when he's due back?

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

What? Why? 

A 23 year old newly Brazilian international and one of our key and influential midfielders…why would we move him on?

Won't sign a contract so far and by the summer will only have 12 months left. I hope he stays too! Thats why he's in there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

Won't sign a contract so far and by the summer will only have 12 months left. I hope he stays too! Thats why he's in there. 

Let him run it down whilst tyring to get him to sign 

Realistically what we could sell him for would break even at best for replacing him so we wouldnt make a profit regardless 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Realistically what we could sell him for would break even at best for replacing him so we wouldnt make a profit regardless 

I think we'd get more than £15m for him. But if that's the case it would be that age old question of would we be better keeping him here or putting £15m towards a new player

Just now, The Other Mat said:

Are we sure he won't sign a contract? Not seen anything saying he won't. Unless I've missed something?

No but nearly everyone else who has been good since then has signed one. He hasn't and I can't believe we wouldn't have offered. Maybe he's just negotiating but as it stands he's our only real contract worry (other than Chuk)

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

I think we'd get more than £15m for him. But if that's the case it would be that age old question of would we be better keeping him here or putting £15m towards a new player

If we sell him for £25m then his replacement would cost £25m at least leaving us with £0

If we let him leave on a free we have £0

We won't replace him and make money 

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It depends on how you are viewing profit. If u are looking at a profit from an FFP perspective then we would make a healthy profit as we will have amortised 75% of his transfer fee by next summer. That means any sale fee above about 3.8m will be profit

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If we sell him for £25m then his replacement would cost £25m at least leaving us with £0

If we let him leave on a free we have £0

We won't replace him and make money 

What?

If his replacement costs £25m he costs £25m.

If we sell Dougie for £15m, it costs us additional £10m.

If Dougie left on a free, it costs us an additional £25m.

As much as fans appreciate a club being strong and fighting back against the strength of the players and agents etc etc. It's not good business to spend near £15,000,000 that you needn't.

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

No but nearly everyone else who has been good since then has signed one. He hasn't and I can't believe we wouldn't have offered. Maybe he's just negotiating but as it stands he's our only real contract worry (other than Chuk)

He's got just under 18 months left on a 4 year contract so not much of a worry at the moment. If he wasn't happy there would speculation around his future already which there isn't. Its more than likely negotiations are ongoing, especially now Gerrard and his team have settled. 

13 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I would suspect the buy back clause with City influenced us not to offer a new contract until that had expired, which it did last May. Then he was off at the Copa and the Olympics and then holidays. By the time he was back we had a lot of other things at Villa to worry about. I would expect to see contract discussions in the new year and if he doesn't sign then we will hopefully be able to move him on

Re: the Luiz situation. I firmly believe he is waiting to see where we finish this coming summer before committing to a new contract with us. 

He is an elite level player who has years before he even reaches his peak. He will want 5-7 playing European football I think. 

• Like 1