Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

20 minutes ago, turvontour said:

It pretty much always comes back to alcohol though.

Lunchtime kickoffs, unless derby or huge games, will have the worst atmosphere. 

But I agree, the more expensive the ticket will also contribute to this as like I said on an earlier post, those going, particularly the younger more vocal supporters, are likely going at the expense of being able to enjoy 2 or 3 horrifically overpriced pints pre match. 

Few people can afford ticket, travel and food and drink anymore.

Going back to 2010 when I had a season ticket too in those days.

Okay, your seat at the stadium was paid for. But, There's also, return train fare, food and beer for the journey. Food, beer and programme at the ground pre kick off, Food and beers at half time, Food and beer for the train journey back plus taxi from station home - rarely a visit to the club shop.

Back then.. I would set aside £200 every time we had a home game to cover those extra expenses each game.

That was over 13 years ago when I was single and had no kids either.

I dare say nowadays it would require close £300 to do exact same thing?

Nowadays, I cannot justify spending anywhere that sort of money each game on top of being a season ticket holder at these current prices. Plus, having my 12yr little Villan in tow too who basically spends what used to be the beer money.

So I agree with you. Coinciding with our slow successful progress on the pitch, we're becoming a very expensive hobbie to pursue in today's way of living.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Okay, your seat at the stadium was paid for. But, There's also, return train fare, food and beer for the journey. Food, beer and programme at the ground pre kick off, Food and beers at half time, Food and beer for the train journey back plus taxi from station home - rarely a visit to the club shop.

Back then.. I would set aside £200 every time we had a home game to cover those extra expenses each game.

Nowadays, I cannot justify spending anywhere that sort of money each game on top of being a season ticket holder at these current prices. Plus, having my 12yr little Villan in tow too who basically spends what used to be the beer money.

So I agree with you. Coinciding with our slow successful progress on the pitch, we're becoming a very expensive hobbie to pursue in today's way of living.

It's closer to double, the change in cost over the last ten years. Some things are 50% more expensive but lots are double. You basically have to chose elements of travel, programme, drink, food etc. Like I say, where I was parking has gone up to 7 or 8 quid a game. I just said we cant park near the ground anymore or we cant go. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That seems expensive but i guess depends where you are travelling from. This is my current cost:

Trinity stand ticket - £60

Train from/to suburbs - £8 off-peak day return   OR   shared Uber to & from the ground (£15 each).

Drinks - A couple of beers from home to drink on the train (£2) and a couple of vodkas in a pub (£10) and possibly 1 beer in the ground if i can get served (£5).

Food - Burger & chips from the outside stalls (£10).

Programme - does anyone buy that nowadays? (£0).

Total - £95 by train or £100 by taxi.

That's the maximum i will spend. In reality, if i plan to be drunk i sometimes pre-mix vodka & coke for the train ride so don't need to buy any other drinks before the match.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pinebro said:

I loved how the Legia fans constantly booed loud whenever we had the ball. Created such an hostile environment for us.

I'd like for us to adapt that at Villa Park.

Tends to only happen in huge, tense games. Which that was for Legia. But we have done it and will again.

Edited by Tom13

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Tends to only happen in huge, tense games. Which that was for Legia. But we have done it and will again.

We need to get on the back of Legia straight away from the off, a bit of payback. An atmosphere similar to the Atletico Madrid game will do it.

58 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Warsaw really put our support to shame. Most games are deathly silent until we score or have a big chance and we wake up for a bit and get a little "Holte Enders in the Sky" going, then at the end of the game we might get a Allez Allez at the end of the game if it was a good win . Best atmosphere I can remember was around promotion, before and right after. That Everton game when El Ghazi scored the winner was awesome. We haven't reached those heights since.

The final game of the season against Brighton was the best atmosphere that I’ve experienced at a Villa game in the last 10 years.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

The final game of the season against Brighton was the best atmosphere that I’ve experienced at a Villa game in the last 10 years.

Forgot about that one, yeah was really good.

Even our highs though, we don't really sustain it for the whole game. Seems like the Legia fans were at it for the full 90. And the jeering whenever we held the ball was very dedicated. Not sure if it's always like that or if it was for the special occasion of the PL scalp.

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Warsaw really put our support to shame. Most games are deathly silent until we score or have a big chance and we wake up for a bit and get a little "Holte Enders in the Sky" going, then at the end of the game we might get a Allez Allez at the end of the game if it was a good win . Best atmosphere I can remember was around promotion, before and right after. That Everton game when El Ghazi scored the winner was awesome. We haven't reached those heights since.

That's because we start taking the PL for granted again. Watford at home in 19-20 was decent though, was on the verge of becoming toxic first half, then it changed and that last minute winner was one of my fav times as a Villa fan if not my fav.

I wouldn’t like it constant like it was in Legia. In fact it would give me bloody headache, but I’m a big believer in making the opposition players feeling uncomfortable. Booing when they have the ball, getting dogs abuse when they take a throw in, corner, just being horrible to the opposition players. Then obviously backing the team instead of waiting for things to happen . 

• Like 1

I don't think the atmosphere at VP is good but like most of the threads and recent comments on the match day experience, the ticket price increases, the poor service, the push for Matchday experiences etc etc... Its a problem that's not exclusive to Aston villa...

You can say Palace has a decent atmosphere, it doesn't have that, no English club does, it's a thing in europe and it's been a thing for a long long time

And I think ruge is right, English clubs need to do more with ultra groups and tifos etc but if project b6 said they were going to stick a man on a megaphone and 2 drummers at the bottom of the holte people would soon say **** off, we need to get better without forcing it and I don't know what the answer is because like someone else said there's a huge link to booze in our football

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Put our support to shame in terms of noise yes ... Thats where it ends , they have a fanatical fanbase  , but in a city as big as birmingham and paying a third of what we pay for tickets they average under 20k.

9 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Why tho? When did people get so snobby? I’d love a drummer in the stands. 

I'd hate it

A drummer is just noise, it's not atmosphere, look at the england band they make noise while Wembley is flatter than a witches tit

The one I would say English football has over European football is we ebb and flow with the game, we've got the come on roar when there's a counter or win a corner etc the organised legia guy just cracks on for 90 minutes regardless

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'd hate it

A drummer is just noise, it's not atmosphere, look at the england band they make noise while Wembley is flatter than a witches tit

The one I would say English football has over European football is we ebb and flow with the game, we've got the come on roar when there's a counter or win a corner etc the organised legia guy just cracks on for 90 minutes regardless

Nope, that’s just not true. The drum is only there to amplify the singing and help people keep the right pace. 

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'd hate it

Which is kind of corny. You should he making an atmosphere that buoys the home team and makes it feel hostile for the opposition from the off. Not seeing how the game shakes out and reacting accordingly. It makes sense when guys like Dion Dublin say things like "if you can get Villa Park going, then it's really special but if things are going wrong it's not a good place to be" etc. There are clauses, ifs and buts etc. 

• Like 2

On 16/09/2023 at 19:48, Villatillidie95 said:

Not sure if the queing situation has been raised but i noticed on my way in again there was a huge amount of people waiting 15 mins before kick off on the ramp outside the north stand again. I dont think its going to be getting sorted this season as its the 3rd home game ive seen thay now, will be utter chaos against everton for the evening kick off. The only way to get to your seat on time is to walk up the north stand steps instead of the ramp and "push in" although the guards always encourage people to use the other ques. Its only been an issue in that part of the ground this season

Not sure if you seen the shambles when we played Hibs at home.

Nearly every entrance block to the stadium was queing atleast 100 people deep still trying to get in. This still happening 10 minutes after kick off! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ender4 said:

Both Hibs fans and Warsaw fans put our 'home support' to shame.

I slag Liverpool off for singing the same repeated shite week in week out. There's no real atmosphere to them after they've finished singing You'll never work ag..sorry, walk alone.

Sadly, we're slowly fading the same way. We've got McGinn. On the piss m'lord, Holte enders in the sky and Allez Allez.. but otherwise.. we might aswell be Old Trafford during the rest of the game.

I loved the atmosphere Warsaw generated against us, it actually felt a proper European cup tie and it clearly got to the players out there, and we'll done to them for creating such a b***** atmosphere for us to play in.

Villa Park would be amazing if our fans could be arsed to replicate something similar.. 

Even Celtic/Man City/Marseille? create an atmosphere doing a 'bounce' where reach row of fans are simultaneously jumping left and to right.

Actually making teams dread and not want to come to Villa Park because of the bear pit it atmosphere is how it should be.

Instead, we have teams coming to Villa Park and up for it like it's a cup final, because they know, silence Villa Park and you're already half way to a result more often than not.

44 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Nope, that’s just not true. The drum is only there to amplify the singing and help people keep the right pace. 

If it worked it would be, if it was organised and then people bought in to it, if you had the guy with the microphone orchestrating it... Instead you have a flat crowd and the drummer tries to get somethibg going and it's just noise

The structure isn't there in an English crowd to make the drummer effective imo

18 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Not sure if you seen the shambles when we played Hibs at home.

Nearly every entrance block to the stadium was queing atleast 100 people deep still trying to get in. This still happening 10 minutes after kick off! 

Yep I saw that, it’s been a constant problem this year. If they are going to do more in depth searches then I think they need to not skimp on agency staff as it really tarnishes the famous “matchday experience” the club keep promoting. Those non ST ticket holders paying the big bucks will expect better!

• Like 1

Â