Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

Think its just a general thing across most fanbases and grounds tbh, the lower holte is nowhere near as good as 10 years ago, even then we were struggling badly under Lambert but was more of a siege mentality, i remember the 2-1 win against Hammers with the nzogbia freekick and then a few games later in same season at home the 3-2 win v QPR with Benteke scoring late on to get us the 3 points. Now im in the North Stand Upper and its hard to maintain an atmosphere as we only have a very limited amount of songs to sing and there is people who want everyone else to sit down so not really possible.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not the guy who made the point and I'm sure @nick76 has his own reasons, but I agree.

You can never really tell what the atmosphere is like at an England game, because half a dozen bellends playing the great escape can drown out thousands of people chanting

Yeah those are good points i thinkbif ita  done when it goes quiet to drivw atmosphere thwn not bad. But if uts all game then that would have a negative impact 

For some reason atmosphere always seems bettee friday night gammes at villa park like that one vs Everton when wesley scored.

Midweek home games always gash as are saturday morning ones

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not the guy who made the point and I'm sure @nick76 has his own reasons, but I agree.

You can never really tell what the atmosphere is like at an England game, because half a dozen bellends playing the great escape can drown out thousands of people chanting

England one always feels unnatural compared to others on the continent. Also England games mainly have little atmosphere which makes the band more noticeable

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah those are good points i thinkbif ita  done when it goes quiet to drivw atmosphere thwn not bad. But if uts all game then that would have a negative impact 

For some reason atmosphere always seems bettee friday night gammes at villa park like that one vs Everton when wesley scored.

Midweek home games always gash as are saturday morning ones

I think we all know the reason for that mate.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Why do you think its fake? Genuine question as havent thought about taht before 

Hard to explain, just feels like it’s forcing something rather trying to get something going.  From the England band to vuvuzelas, I just think there is a line that is too easily crossed to where it feels fake and forced, thus cringy.  Again maybe it’s just me growing up decades ago where the voices made the noise whether standing at the back of the left side of the Holte or the miserable wet Wednesday nights in the away end at Palace where us the fans created the noise together and not because somebody played some notes on an instrument.

I know the atmosphere isn’t like those days and we need to find ways to improve it but instruments just feel like a cheat, almost fake way of making atmosphere to me as if you can’t get the crowd involved so you are creating artificial atmosphere in the hopes of people joining in or to avoid the quietness.  

Not a great explanation but it’s all I’ve got.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

Hate any fan instrument in a ground, always thought it was cringe and fake fan support.  Don’t ask me why, I don’t know! Maybe just old school thinking…

Ditto.

we would lose a thousand seats of folk who don't want to sit near one.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Hard to explain, just feels like it’s forcing something rather trying to get something going.  

I guess that's the difference between Europe and England.

Drums never get anything going - the fans are 90mins non stop, and the drums are very much the background . The atmosphere is there - the drums are just a tool to enhance it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Hard to explain, just feels like it’s forcing something rather trying to get something going.  From the England band to vuvuzelas, I just think there is a line that is too easily crossed to where it feels fake and forced, thus cringy.  Again maybe it’s just me growing up decades ago where the voices made the noise whether standing at the back of the left side of the Holte or the miserable wet Wednesday nights in the away end at Palace where us the fans created the noise together and not because somebody played some notes on an instrument.

I know the atmosphere isn’t like those days and we need to find ways to improve it but instruments just feel like a cheat, almost fake way of making atmosphere to me as if you can’t get the crowd involved so you are creating artificial atmosphere in the hopes of people joining in or to avoid the quietness.  

Not a great explanation but it’s all I’ve got.

I agree Nick

Oh what about rattles and you could clonk somebody when they booed.😀

rattles.jpg

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

It's easy to be Bayern Munich knowing you will win something every year. I'm sure the atmosphere would be electric at Villa Park if we had that kind of success, heck even a fraction of it! 

Bayern are quite far down the list of German fans atmospheres though.  

20 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

It's easy to be Bayern Munich knowing you will win something every year. I'm sure the atmosphere would be electric at Villa Park if we had that kind of success, heck even a fraction of it! 

Nah, youd still have blokes screaming to lump it forward and shouting "bring back Pongo Waring"

10 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Nah, youd still have blokes screaming to lump it forward and shouting "bring back Pongo Waring"

Almost as if Man City and Liverpool fans haven’t been moaning this season at their grounds and in various forums at their level 🙄 sounds like fans get unhappy sometimes…shock! horror!

A note to sympathise with those who have a different view from myself as I always try and see it from the opposing stance. Villa have an intensely passionate support - i.e. the fortunes of the club affect those who follow it so deeply that I understand many find it so painful and horrid when things aren't going well that it's understandably impossible for them to pretend otherwise and this comes out in frustration and tension which sometimes grips Villa Park and more than likely transmits to the players. Its something that the likes of Fulham and Bournemouth don't have because I won't hear that (talking generally of course not on an individual basis) they're as dementedly passionate as say the supporters of Villa, Everton, Leeds etc. We've winessed recently how Everton fans have been vocally recently although perversely when it looked like there was no escape for them last season they collectively got behind the team and ultimately their results at Goodison effectively kept them up.

Edited by wedge

22 minutes ago, wedge said:

A note to sympathise with those who have a different view from myself as I always try and see it from the opposing stance. Villa have an intensely passionate support - i.e. the fortunes of the club affect those who follow it so deeply that I understand many find it so painful and horrid when things aren't going well that it's understandably impossible for them to pretend otherwise and this comes out in frustration and tension which sometimes grips Villa Park and more than likely transmits to the players. Its something that the likes of Fulham and Bournemouth don't have because I won't hear that (talking generally of course not on an individual basis) they're as dementedly passionate as say the supporters of Villa, Everton, Leeds etc. We've winessed recently how Everton fans have been vocally recently although perversely when it looked like there was no escape for them last season they collectively got behind the team and ultimately their results at Goodison effectively kept them up.

I think the problem on this thread is less about the passion somewhat but rather that some are overreacting about Villa Park being “toxic” or as you say “grips Villa Park”…to me that’s an overreaction to what I’m seeing and hearing at Villa Park, i don’t think it’s anything like that.  Do I think the atmosphere at Villa Park could be better? Obviously Yes.  The toxic and other stuff is just not what I’m seeing, just seems a bizarre take.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

When you have conceded as many goals as we have recently, is it any wonder fans say, "Lump it Forward"...they just want to clear the lines, and avoid gifts.

We are in transition, and when the confidence returns to playing out from the back, backed up by wins......you will notice the calls to Lump it, subside.

To be fair, some of the goals conceded have been a bit amateurish, so the fans can be forgiven, for me.....its a learning process, but there are no "L" plates on the goal posts.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 09/03/2023 at 14:55, S-Platt said:

Here's an idea for the club measure the decibels of the support at home games.

On what they think is a good atmosphere take that reading an offer the fans something if we reach that noise each game!

As people say abroad the fans make a noise whatever happens on the pitch maybe us in Blighty need an incentive 😜 

it will never happen but I dare to dream!

I know......lets score 4 at home in the next game and measure the noise......then let in 4 the game after, and see the difference in noise level.

I'll get mt coat.....🙄

Â