Washing machines

robby b

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

My guttering was leaking, I put a washer in it and it just got washed away into the downpipe. 

My Nan asked me to fetch some Tena Lady pads from the supermarket earlier. I went to Screwfix and bought a 20 pack of washers instead, I’ll let you know her feedback tomorrow. 

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

Patiently awaiting the sequel - the fridge freezer defrosting without warning. 

I defrosted my beer fridge yesterday. 

Actually in an ideal world I would have the utterly useless icebox removed and just have more useful fridge space for alcohol. 

Maybe VT can talk me though that process.  I'm sure it's just a matter of cutting the power supply to the freezer bit 

Edited by sidcow

☆☆☆  WASHING MACHINE, THE SEQUEL  ☆☆☆ ...

I've done quite a few washes since you guys 'repaired' my washing machine virtually (by repaired I mean reconnected the water supply) but... for a few days now the leak has been back. Fortunately it's less than before, just one drop every few minutes, but anyway Blandy said there should be a washer in both nozzles, not just one of them (the nozzles at the ends of the pipe). I've no idea why one of them is missing! 🤔 

So, tomorrow I'm off to the local ironmongers for local people again, to buy one of their finest washers. I'll take the pipe with me to show them. The washing machine entertainment is back ! 😀

To be continued...

8 hours ago, robby b said:

☆☆☆  WASHING MACHINE, THE SEQUEL  ☆☆☆ ...

I've done quite a few washes since you guys 'repaired' my washing machine virtually (by repaired I mean reconnected the water supply) but... for a few days now the leak has been back. Fortunately it's less than before, just one drop every few minutes, but anyway Blandy said there should be a washer in both nozzles, not just one of them (the nozzles at the ends of the pipe). I've no idea why one of them is missing! 🤔 

So, tomorrow I'm off to the local ironmongers for local people again, to buy one of their finest washers. I'll take the pipe with me to show them. The washing machine entertainment is back ! 😀

To be continued...

I’d personally get one of these from Amazon (or B&Q / Wickes / Screwfix). Less than a fiver.

Washing Machine Hose

Turn off the water via the broken screw on the pipe.

Unscrew the hose from the pipe and the back of the washing machine.

Refit in reverse.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, robby b said:

Blandy said there should be a washer in both nozzles, not just one of them

I did, indeed.

Basically your washer problems are now down to the lack of a washer.

if/when you take the hose off there may/will be more water to come out than has hitherto been the case. So undo the highest end first and then lower it so you can drain it into a pot or pan. If you take the lower end off first, well, water everywhere. 

• Thanks 1

You know, since giving a tiny bit of advice to Robbie the following has happened:

Put the washing machine on. After it finished, there was a strange "drainy" smell and the kitchen sink seemed to drain very slowly after washing the dishes, too.

So I got the ol' plunger thingy out and gave the sink drain a good plunging

Free-Standing+Plunger+-+32894.jpg

This didn't solve the problem, so I undid the u bend under the sink and it was full of accumulated gunk. So I cleaned that out.

Before refitting it, I noticed that the other pipework was also coated with cack. So I dismantled the whole lot, cleaned it all out and refitted it all. Then plungered again.

Still more cack then came up through the sink drain.

So I made a mixture of Bicarb and vinegar and poured that down the sink drain (bicarb, then vinegar after). Left it 20 minutes to fizz and foam away and then flushed the sink with hot water.

One last bit of plunging action and hurrah! all like new and super-fast draining.

Went for a nice hot shower to clean up and then noticed that the outside drain had overflowed from all the shower water.

Lifted drain cover and the grid was completely blocked with gunk - presumably all the stuff from the sink and washing machine drain the bicarb and plunging had shifted.

Cleaned all that out, flushed the drain from the water butt.

Result!

Today the hall radiator has started leaking, or at least I've notice a small leak.

I think I've angered the Gods of plumbing, because now I'm going to have to drain the central heating, repair the leaking valve and then refill and corrosion inhibit it again. 

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think I've angered the Gods of plumbing, because now I'm going to have to drain the central heating, repair the leaking valve and then refill and corrosion inhibit it again. 

Need to pray to Borshch, The Greek God of white goods. 

• Haha 1

Â