Washing machines

robby b

1 minute ago, robby b said:

I was just thinking that if there's a water pipe problem maybe Currys can fix it and then install a new machine

If there's a water pipe problem with the hose then a new hose is like a fiver.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

And Curry’s won’t do anything to help.

they’ll take your money and leave your washing machine in the middle of your kitchen.

'zackly.

Brand New Washing Machine 2.5 Metre Blue Cold Water Inlet Hose : Amazon.co.uk: Large Appliances

Around a Fiver. Tools needed to fit it -  just a spanner or mole grips or pliers even, to turn off the water valve (which is currently off, anyway).

But the hose may well be fine. We don't know yet.

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Ain't gonna lie...

Popcorn Drop GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Yeah. I need to know what the problem is. I mean, like:

Why was the lever missing? is it stingy landlord not wanting to pay for a bit of extra water use? is it the thing just broke off one time and no-one's bothered fixing it ever since? is it turned off and disabled because the whole washing machine and pipe combo is a death-trap ready to soak and electrocute any unsuspecting meddler and Robb's dicing with death (he isn't)?

When the water's back on, will the washing machine behave?

Will Rob's laundry ever be clean again?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Alongside the technical issues...

Given that one of the key reasons Rob moved to this flat was to be able to use a washing machine, why has Rob moved into a flat with no washing machine listed on the inventory?

Eh?

im-not-interested-in-caring-about-people

:)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

he has NO TOOLS

Worth a reply, I think.

Everyone should get themselves some basic tools.

Adjustable spanner, Flat head screwdrivers (maybe a couple - one for stuff like electrical wall sockets, plugs and stuff and a larger one for maybe old doorframe woodscrews) and ditto phillips screwdrivers a small one for plugs and a larger one(s) for woodscrews. Pliers, snips, multi-tool, smallish hammer.

They'll pay for themselves.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Has anyone suggested a washing bowl or better a bucket to put the end of the pipe in if the water starts running?

Along those lines, know where the mains water shut off cock is and make sure you can access it (not just for this, but for any home). They all have one. One day you'll be glad you know.

That said mine is really difficult to access so I use the one in the street, which is easier to get to.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Along those lines, know where the mains water shut off cock is and make sure you can access it (not just for this, but for any home). They all have one. One day you'll be glad you know.

That said mine is really difficult to access so I use the one in the street, which is easier to get to.

We and by we I mean us and the landlord have no idea where the internal one is so have to use the one in the street

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Has anyone suggested a washing bowl or better a bucket to put the end of the pipe in if the water starts running?

Oh and with washing machines a towel might be another idea - the pipes tend to connect too low down to get a bucket under them (at least mine do),  but a bowl might fit for some people. TBH An old towel can be stuffed into the kitchen cabinet, or under the washing machine end hose of the hose while tinkering to catch any drips or whatever

1 minute ago, bickster said:

We and by we I mean us and the landlord have no idea where the internal one is so have to use the one in the street

Yeah. I was the same till I redid the kitchen and when I took all the units out, there was the tap, right in the corner behind where the cabinets had been. The new ones I cut a hole in to get to it, but it's a proper contortionist effort.

29 minutes ago, blandy said:

Worth a reply, I think.

Adjustable spanner, Flat head screwdrivers (maybe a couple - one for stuff like electrical wall sockets, plugs and stuff and a larger one for maybe old doorframe woodscrews) and ditto phillips screwdrivers a small one for plugs and a larger one(s) for woodscrews. Pliers, snips, multi-tool, smallish hammer.

Even a few bits from Poundland will do basic jobs if on a budget. 
You could get a set of screwdrivers, hammer, pliers and spanner’s for a fiver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Worth a reply, I think.

Have to agree, especially if you’re a homeowner. I am absolutely hopeless at DIY jobs but have a drawer in the kitchen with exactly these type of items and they’re invaluable.

Started with some bits 20 odd years ago when buying our first home and rarely changed anything. Just useful to have around when needing to do the most basic things like tightening a screw for instance. 

• Like 1

Â