Washing machines

robby b

5 minutes ago, robby b said:

Day 3.

🔦🔧🤨🧐😬😑 ...

☆☆☆  BREAKING  NEWS  ☆☆☆  BREAKING NEWS  ☆☆☆  BREAKING NEWS  ☆☆☆  ...

🌊😮😵😀  Hoorah ! 

No more launderette visits! The old 90° anti-clockwise Cruyff turn worked a treat and I have clothes washing as I type this. I'd like to thank my project managers: Blandy, Genie and Bickster. And every one else too! 

Well... actually there is quite a serious leak from the blue nozzle, a drop every three seconds, so I guess that's why the pipe was turned off probably. :s 😮😕 At the end of the wash I'll see if I can make it a bit tighter. But if necessary I can get a plumber to come and fix the leak ASAP. I don't mind paying for that. And the washing machine was a bit strange still, it didn't give me a chance to choose a cycle, it just chose one itself (synthetic, 40°) and started quickly. But at least it's working! 

You can probably just take the hose off and then refit it tighter being carefully not to cross the threads, or buy a roll of PTFE tape (about a pound), put it around the threads on the washing machine and then screw the connector on. It’ll stop water creeping through the joint.
377.jpg

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, robby b said:

Day 3.

🔦🔧🤨🧐😬😑 ...

☆☆☆  BREAKING  NEWS  ☆☆☆  BREAKING NEWS  ☆☆☆  BREAKING NEWS  ☆☆☆  ...

🌊😮😵😀  Hoorah ! 

No more launderette visits! The old 90° anti-clockwise Cruyff turn worked a treat and I have clothes washing as I type this. I'd like to thank my project managers: Blandy, Genie and Bickster. And every one else too! 

Well... actually there is quite a serious leak from the blue nozzle, a drop every three seconds, so I guess that's why the pipe was turned off probably. :s 😮😕 At the end of the wash I'll see if I can make it a bit tighter. But if necessary I can get a plumber to come and fix the leak ASAP. I don't mind paying for that. And the washing machine was a bit strange still, it didn't give me a chance to choose a cycle, it just chose one itself (synthetic, 40°) and started quickly. But at least it's working! 

If you can't get the leak to stop by readjusting the hose connector, try the plumbers tape Genie mentioned, try a brand new hose or just turn the handle off again until you next need it. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, robby b said:

there is quite a serious leak from the blue nozzle

Bummer. Easily sorted mind. It’ll be the washer inside the hose perished most likely. You should be able to get one from a hardware store, or the internet. Just yahoogle “washing machine hose washer”.  or get a new hose as posted previously. Turn the water off before changing. (And until it’s fixed turn off the water when not in use).  

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

Bummer. Easily sorted mind. It’ll be the washer inside the hose perished most likely. You should be able to get one from a hardware store, or the internet. Just yahoogle “washing machine hose washer”.  or get a new hose as posted previously. Turn the water off before changing. (And until it’s fixed turn off the water when not in use).  

Thanks. 👍When you say turn the water off, do you mean the water just for the washing machine  (where I just turned it on, at that nut with the 90° turn)? You don't  mean the water mains for the whole flat, do you? I've no idea where that is. 

12 minutes ago, robby b said:

Thanks. 👍When you say turn the water off, do you mean the water just for the washing machine  (where I just turned it on, at that nut with the 90° turn)? You don't  mean the water mains for the whole flat, do you? I've no idea where that is. 

Just for the washing machine, undo what you just did

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, robby b said:

Just at the valve, Rob - the thing we’ve been talking about. It’s easy to forget!

• Thanks 1

Just going back to the local ironmongers for local people now to buy a new hose or, if they don't have one, a roll of PTFE tape. Someone mentioned trying changing the washer... but there's only a washer in the blue nozzle that connects to the back of the machine. In the blue nozzle at the other end, under the sink (next to the 90° valve type thing), where the leak is coming from, there isn't a washer. 

Edited by robby b

Â