Jump to content

Washing machines


robby b
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello, do any of you Villans know about washing machines? I just moved into a new flat near Swansea today and was gutted to find out that the washing machine is just for decoration. In other words it doesn't work. ☹ I'm so disappointed as it really was one of the main reasons to move here, to have a @×#$€*^ washing machine arrggghhhh! 

There's no water at all going into the detergent drawer or the drum. Is that more likely to be a fault with the washing machine or with the plumbing in the building as a whole? I'm hoping it's  because it might be an old machine maybe, because the landlord is apparently a bit of a words removed and I have little faith in him sorting the problem out any time soon. He actually emailed me with a threat of eviction today just because my rent transfer didn’t  show in his account within a few minutes. Wtf!? I'd only just moved in!

Sorry for this boring thread but I'm stressed out and so sick of going to launderettes!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, robby b said:

Hello, do any of you Villans know about washing machines? I just moved into a new flat near Swansea today and was gutted to find out that the washing machine is just for decoration. In other words it doesn't work. ☹ I'm so disappointed as it really was one of the main reasons to move here, to have a @×#$€*^ washing machine arrggghhhh! 

There's no water at all going into the detergent drawer or the drum. Is that more likely to be a fault with the washing machine or with the plumbing in the building as a whole? I'm hoping it's  because it might be an old machine maybe, because the landlord is apparently a bit of a words removed and I have little faith in him sorting the problem out any time soon. He actually emailed me with a threat of eviction today just because my rent transfer didn’t  show in his account within a few minutes. Wtf!? I'd only just moved in!

Sorry for this boring thread but I'm stressed out and so sick of going to launderettes!!! 

Don't know nothing about them, sorry, but just to say your landlord sounds like a right cnut. 

Is a working washing machine listed on the inventory of the flat?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah what has got my back up is that I paid him the deposit in full a week ago and he received it promptly. If he'd asked  me to pay the first month's rent as well a week ago I would have, no problem. But he didn't  and neither did the agency. It's not my fault if they can't organise themselves properly. Why should I have to do their job for them?! Grr.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the washing machine was there when you moved in, I'd certainly assume it's the landlord's responsibility and in your position I'd kick up a right fuss. What's he going to do? Evict you and release you from your contract to go and live in a place with a working washing machine?

You pay the rentseeking parasite his premium, don't let them get away with not earning it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Don't know nothing about them, sorry, but just to say your landlord sounds like a right cnut. 

Is a working washing machine listed on the inventory of the flat?

Thanks Xela, good point, I've just looked at the inventory and, no, a washing machine doesn't appear on it. Maybe the previous tenant  bought it and the plumbing for it isn't  good enough. 😥 Damn. I'll get a plumber to come and inspect the situation ASAP! :s

I don’t mind buying a new washing machine (a basic one for like £150) and paying for it to be installed, what worries me is if the problem is the plumbing rather than the machine! Will I ever  escape launderette life? :s

To be continued...

(I mean to be continued as in this gripping saga of this washing machine. I don't want my launderette life to be continued).

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

The water feed into the machine could be turned off. Pull the washing machine forward and check. Usually there’s little levers on the pipe to open / close it off.

Edit: as @bickster said, have you checked it’s connected to the water supply?

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, robby b said:

Thanks Xela, good point, I've just looked at the inventory and, no, a washing machine doesn't appear on it. Maybe the previous tenant  bought it and the plumbing for it isn't  good enough. 😥 Damn. I'll get a plumber to come and inspect the situation ASAP! :s

It looks like it could have been left by the previous tenant then, perhaps as it was broken? 

The fact it's not on the inventory means you can probably request the landlord moves it, but depends if you want the hassle? If you end up getting a new one then when they deliver, they'll probably take the old one away. 

Might be worth speaking to a neighbour to enquire if there is anything weird and wacky about the plumbing/pipework in the block? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've pulled the machine out and yeah its two water tubes are both well connected to the plumbing under the kitchen sink as far as I can see. I just hope it's an old, knackered machine. If buying a new machine solves the problem that's nice and easy, from Currys. And they'll take the old one away, I think.

Thanks you guys! You're not just fellow Villa fans, you're also washing machine consultants. And you've helped me to unstress a bit with your replies. 

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, bickster said:

yeah but is there water in the tubes?

There is in one of them, yes, the one with the nozzle. I just unscrewed the nozzle and a little water fell out, like half a tea cup. I just unscrewed the other one under the sink and it's totally dry... I'm guessing this may be the dirty water out one as it joins the big white tube under the sink plughole! 

I just hope my landlord hasn't  cut off the water supply for a washing  machine to save money! It's him who pays the water rates  😕

Edited by robby b
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

that doesn't sound right, are you sure there aren't little levers on the tubes at the other end from the washing machine?

No little levers anywhere, as far as I can see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

One will be the water feed, the other the waste.

Its worth checking before you get a new one as you’ll have the same issue…

Does it have anything like this (blue lever)?

Washing-Machine-Fill-Hose-Attached-To-Ta

Thsnk you very much for this photo. I can't  see a blue lever. :< But I can see where there should be one now, just after the nozzle. I hope the landlord hasn't deliberately taken it away! 

Edited by robby b
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â