Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

5 hours ago, TRO said:

The problem is Paul....He simply can't beat a man, and to compound that, he is passive and has a lightweight approach to winning the ball back.....players have to offer something, I struggle to think of something, he offers.

They say, you need someone wide to stretch the play, or an outlet ball.....We may as well have a cardboard cut out or a scarecrow.

He is simply not effective, and much of the time, so is Traore......They both conjure up a moment of magic, on the odd occasion, that won't cut it in this league.

We keep talking about Europe as aspiration, to do that we need players who have a good level of consistency to go with their talent and application.....We need them to be consistent during a game.....and game to game......That's what our competitors have.

I Look at Solly March as a winger, that is consistency and application....always being a threat, always involved in their build ups.

I hope we get it right this summer.

You’d have to believe so TRO our recruitment in recent years has been underwhelming to put it mildly.

I’m sure Unai will know value for money ( based on what we have seen so far ) I think our money is in safe hands 

• Like 1

There were people on here who genuinely thought he would rip up the league when we signed him.

Edited by Pinebro

On 07/05/2023 at 23:02, I Make Pies said:

Bailey is a conundrum. The talent and potential is there, but how long do you give a player to get to the required level? He's been here two years and we have seen flashes of the player we want but there is always another injury or loss of confidence around the corner. In the summer perhaps we replace Bert and have the new winger compete with Bailey. That way it gives him more time to develop into the player we want without holding back the team.

What talent?

He can barely go past a man.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TRO said:

We all need to accept, that some players, ain't going to cut it.....IF we have aspirations, like we do.

So often, we skirt around the issues, to keep ourselves on side, with positivity.....all quite noble, but we need to address the weaknesses in this team, with that same positivity, to move forward.

UE has to keep players motivated and interested until the season ends, but I think you will see a different UE, when the window opens.

He will not accept, some of these limp performances, we have seen in the last 4 games.

Totally agree, was saying this to someone just the other day; must be a hell of a job to keep players motivated for you when (I think) it seems clear that there's going to be a big overhaul in the summer. Maybe I'm reaching but I do wonder about the downturn in results and performances coinciding with major rumour alerts and Alemany's arrival. Some must know they're in the crosshairs, surely? Keeping positivity and energy high has to be tricky.

But if one word was going to summarise Emery and Alemany, I'd say "ruthless" was a strong contender. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

There were people on here who genuinely thought he would rip up the league when we signed him.

This league is arduous......and players who require space, to function,  won't get it handed to them in this league....you have to make it yourself.

You have to be capable of dealing with the press....you have to have power, pace and quick feet and mind, to play midfield or up front.

I'm not sure what due dilligence was employed in the past, with some of our signings

Edited by TRO

54 minutes ago, Stevo71 said:

Totally agree, was saying this to someone just the other day; must be a hell of a job to keep players motivated for you when (I think) it seems clear that there's going to be a big overhaul in the summer. Maybe I'm reaching but I do wonder about the downturn in results and performances coinciding with major rumour alerts and Alemany's arrival. Some must know they're in the crosshairs, surely? Keeping positivity and energy high has to be tricky.

But if one word was going to summarise Emery and Alemany, I'd say "ruthless" was a strong contender. 

I was tinkering with a similar thought.

UE is not putting in the hours and commitment, to be accepting anything less than maximum performance....The last 4 games will give him, as much information as the previous 10.

I don't know the state of the clubs Finances or FFP.....but I am pretty sure we need some strength in this team for next season. I am also pretty sure I could name those that will be in our first team next season.

I am not sure how many need to go.....but I do know we need some incomings, thats for sure.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Guest av1
5 minutes ago, TRO said:

This league is arduous......and players who require space, to function,  won't get it in this league.

You have to be capable of dealing with the press....you have to have power, pace and quick feet and mind, to play midfield or up front.

I'm not sure what due dilligence was employed in the past.

I don’t disagree with any of that mate. What I would say is that there plenty of leagues around Europe that do afford those things, and Bailey has performed well in one of them. 

I do agree that Bailey isn’t going to work here, but I’m a bit more confident than many on here with regard to how much of the fee we will recoup. We’re going to take a loss, but I believe there will be plenty of takers at around £20m. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I don’t disagree with any of that mate. What I would say is that there plenty of leagues around Europe that do afford those things, and Bailey has performed well in one of them. 

I do agree that Bailey isn’t going to work here, but I’m a bit more confident than many on here with regard to how much of the fee we will recoup. We’re going to take a loss, but I believe there will be plenty of takers at around £20m. 

I agree.

The highlighted bit is the very reason, I am nervy about in coming signings. I know we have an elite manager, but I am still nervy, about their application.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree.

The highlighted bit is the very reason, I am nervy about in coming signings. I know we have an elite manager, but I am still nervy, about their application.

You didn't question Gerrard and his potential signings going into last pre-season but are nervy about Emery 😂  

• Haha 1

Guest av1
10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree.

Understandable, and the fiasco at Chelsea shows that simply throwing big money at it doesn’t guarantee that signings will be successful. 

I am a little more confident for the summer though. PSG aside (which is a madhouse) I think Emery’s teams have always been stronger than the sum of their parts. Rather than big name flashy players he seems to know exactly what’s qualities he wants from any given position and manages to get the maximum out of those he brings in. Moreno is a perfect example, I’d never heard of the bloke to be honest and yet he’s kind of transformed the way we play. 

It’s going to be exciting. 

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You didn't question Gerrard and his potential signings going into last pre-season but are nervy about Emery 😂  

I just hope he gets the backing he truly deserves. I think we're seeing now the results of inaction in January, but leaving that aside, he's potentially the best manager we've ever had, and we could do something special with him in charge if he's backed to the hilt. I've no reason to suspect he won't be, but if instead of Guendouzi our first signing ends up being Alex iwobi or Eric Dier, I shall have to break out the old flaming torch! ;)

• Haha 1

Guest av1
8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I’m absolutely confident in Emery’s ability to shape the squad. I think many will be nervous about the summer though simply because of how important it’s going to be. 

Given how Emery has transformed our fortunes I think the board will back him heavily in the summer, and if we get it right we could absolutely cement ourselves in that top 6, get it wrong, and it might be a long time before another chance comes along. 

The summer is going to be huge. 

Any new signing is always a risk, like taking on a new employee, does well at an interview but rubbish at the job.

I think UE knows who he wants to keep and those he needs to sell. I am 100% sure he knows the type of players he needs to bring in and has probably identified the players as well.

I think the games we lost including the wolves and man yoo games probably confirmed what is needed, and he learnt more from those games about what players can do and cannot do under his playing system.

I certainly trust UE a lot more than the scouse fraud ....

Â