Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

Listen to a podcast with Dan Bardell yesterday morning & he had the European football expert Kevin Hatchard & they were talking about Bailey on there, Bardell mentioned how inconsistent he was & asked how he was in the Bundesliga & Hatchard said he was just as inconsistent he was in Germany. He would have 2 good games then have 4 or 5 quiet games. I'm prepared to give him next season under Emery & with more winger & forward players coming over the summer he will have to fight for his place, if anybody can get the best out of him it will be Emery. I do think there is a player in there somewhere.

I think Bailey can and is contributing to this squad. Do I think we should sign a player who is better than Bailey has shown this season? Yes of course I do. That means Bailey moves from regular starter to squad player unless he improves his performance levels. 

I think at no point has he ever really been played in his best position. I think he would be seen to best effect in RM or maybe LM with a CB playing in th full back position behind him. This means he can run from deeper on the pitch the he does when played up top as a forward. 

Also he starts all our away games for a reason, pace is a threat and with him and Watkins up top opposition teams need to worry about us on the counter attack. Our away form has been excellent and opposition teams need to worry about 2 players on the counter than just one if we played Buendia with Watkins

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

It doesn’t matter FFP doesn’t work that way the players value depreciates year on year so a fee of say £12m in the final year of his contract would likely be booked as profit. Same as Ings say we would have sold him 6 months after we bought him for 12m then i would have been booked as a loss for the ffp accounts. But because we sold him in his final year of his contract and near his book value it’s profit even though it’s a technically a loss. So the likely scenario if we decide that Bailey isn’t part of our plans is a loan then sell further along the line.

To be honest I see Emery keeping him around we most definitely will sign an upgrade ,  the names thrown around like Nico Williams (whom I rate) and Molerio would look as out of their depth as Bailey in their first season in the premier league and would need time to to adapt the only way I see Bailey leaving on loan is if we sign and experienced premier league forward like Deulofeu to rotate and take pressure of a big money signing like a Nico Williams.

But my point is we won’t get 12-15m for him as his contract runs down. The less time on his contract and the more he plays (because he’s crap) the lower the fee gets. 

The fee is going to go down as much as the depreciation. Well, I haven’t done the maths, but I can’t imagine there’s much in it

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But my point is we won’t get 12-15m for him as his contract runs down. The less time on his contract and the more he plays (because he’s crap) the lower the fee gets. 

The fee is going to go down as much as the depreciation. Well, I haven’t done the maths, but I can’t imagine there’s much in it

There is letting him go for half the value this summer would impact our spending on other targets.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Bailey will become a decent squad player for us.

I don't think it's worth selling him. 

I feel like he’s at his best when he comes on with 15 minutes left. Simply because regardless of his ability, he’s always willing to run at defenders and tired legs don’t like that. He does have decent ball control as well.

I don’t rate him much at all, I’m just thinking if he’s not sold, that will be his role in the squad. He’s nowhere near at the level we need to start games. 

34 minutes ago, Risso said:

His value is based entirely on what anybody is prepared to pay for him, and I reckon that would be £10m to £12m tops.

I think that's nonsense tbh. He's worth £20m+

Also he's had 0.3 xG per 90 under Emery so he's getting the chances just not had the luck of scoring. Hopefully he hits a run of form before end of season. 

I think he'll be here next season, we're light on pace and attacking players.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I feel like he’s at his best when he comes on with 15 minutes left. Simply because regardless of his ability, he’s always willing to run at defenders and tired legs don’t like that. He does have decent ball control as well.

I don’t rate him much at all, I’m just thinking if he’s not sold, that will be his role in the squad. He’s nowhere near at the level we need to start games. 

He will provide a decent option off the bench and be strong squad depth. 

Once Emery has signed a few more players, Bailey won't really be someone we need to rely on. 

Agree, I've seen enough at this point to know he's not good enough to start every week. Way too inconsistent and when he is bad he is often shocking.

Equally, he seems to have a decent attitude and does have some ability so he's OK as a squad option. If someone offered £15m for him I'd probably take it but I don't think they will and I think he can still offer something to the club.

6 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Agree, I've seen enough at this point to know he's not good enough to start every week. Way too inconsistent and when he is bad he is often shocking.

Equally, he seems to have a decent attitude and does have some ability so he's OK as a squad option. If someone offered £15m for him I'd probably take it but I don't think they will and I think he can still offer something to the club.

I think his position is very much hot and cold form based. When in form and full of confidence wingers can take on opponents and beat them. We need to have 2 players in his position so we can alternate and play whomever is in form at that moment. 

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think his position is very much hot and cold form based. When in form and full of confidence wingers can take on opponents and beat them. We need to have 2 players in his position so we can alternate and play whomever is in form at that moment. 

Sorry but it's not just the position. Quality players are more consistent. There are plenty of consistent wingers in the league - doesn't mean they play well every game but they produce a lot more regularly than Bailey.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I think that's nonsense tbh. He's worth £20m+

Also he's had 0.3 xG per 90 under Emery so he's getting the chances just not had the luck of scoring. Hopefully he hits a run of form before end of season. 

I think he'll be here next season, we're light on pace and attacking players.

Who’s going to pay £20m for him? Nobody in the Premier League who has seen him play, and the few European teams who can afford that aren’t going to go for a failed winger who couldn’t hack it in the Premier League.

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think Bailey can and is contributing to this squad. Do I think we should sign a player who is better than Bailey has shown this season? Yes of course I do. That means Bailey moves from regular starter to squad player unless he improves his performance levels. 

I think at no point has he ever really been played in his best position. I think he would be seen to best effect in RM or maybe LM with a CB playing in th full back position behind him. This means he can run from deeper on the pitch the he does when played up top as a forward. 

Also he starts all our away games for a reason, pace is a threat and with him and Watkins up top opposition teams need to worry about us on the counter attack. Our away form has been excellent and opposition teams need to worry about 2 players on the counter than just one if we played Buendia with Watkins

Totally agree his best position is on the wings probably left wing he is no forward but I get with his pace away from home why he plays as the 2nd striker teams will then sit alittle deeper making the pitch bigger for how we play out from the back ... & yep totally agree regards upgrades in the summer, crossing all my fingers & toes for Niko Williams to be wearing a Aston Villa shirt next season 😍

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Bailey will become a decent squad player for us.

I don't think it's worth selling him. 

Kind of where im at. On his day he can be unplaybale at times. He is lacking consistency and confidence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Kind of where im at. On his day he can be unplaybale at times. He is lacking consistency and confidence.

I wouldn't sell him either just because I'd have to replace him and I want to spend whatever we have on the defence and midfield.

He is a lot better than what he has shown with us, but that doesn't matter to us who want to see performances here.

I keep changing my opinion of him, that is the problem he's inconsistent.

Also pretty certain he won't like the idea of playing from the bench. Ego and all that seems kinda big on him, or is it his Dad?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Unplayable on his day? When was that then?

3 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

Sorry but it's not just the position. Quality players are more consistent. There are plenty of consistent wingers in the league - doesn't mean they play well every game but they produce a lot more regularly than Bailey.

Ok, so name the PL wingers then. 

Â