World Cup 2030

sidcow

Well if this was a test run I'd say the English fans made sure England failed miserably. Also looked to be less police about than at least I expected but that's hard to judge from a few videos and clips.

The way some of those English fans were kicking,I would say that if any of them took a penalty it would rocket into the back of the net.

If they feel that bad when England lose then they should watch it on TV only.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's odd that a bit of crowd trouble could scupper a bid, but Russia was fine, and the literal deaths and slavery in Qatar is just grand.

Not just crowd trouble though, innocent opposition fans being attacked

Do we maybe need to make a choice between 'FIFA are extremely corrupt and it's just about the size of the brown envelope' and 'FIFA will be carefully considering issues like crowd control'?

Or is the argument that FIFA have endless tolerance for corruption only for despots, but are really into the weeds on practicality when assessing western democracies?

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Pretty sure last week has killed this proposal, not that i think it had a chance

You must be joking. Fan behaviour has nothing to do with winning bids. It will be the one that can make the most money for UEFA.

Russia has the some of the worst hooliganism in the world but didn't stop them hosting 2018.

Can I mention now that by 2030 this will involve 46 teams? 46. That's probably more than most peace conferences.

If we are really lucky Villa Park could host Algeria versus Ecuador or some such heavyweight clash.

Edited by The Fun Factory

19 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If we are really lucky Villa Park could host Algeria versus Ecuador or some such heavyweight clash.

Seems like a game for a 32 team WC, with 46 teams we'll get Vietnam vs Dominican Republic

4 minutes ago, AXD said:

Seems like a game for a 32 team WC, with 46 teams we'll get Vietnam vs Dominican Republic

They are going to have 3 team groups, followed by knock out matches for last 32, 16, and so on.  So only 2 group games per team and 2 out of 3 in each group getting through.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

They are going to have 3 team groups, followed by knock out matches for last 32, 16, and so on.  So only 2 group games per team and 2 out of 3 in each group getting through.

Who comes up with this stuff? Who in their right mind comes up with this formula for a tournament and says 'my god, it's going to be awesome'? some money guy I assume, but still, how does he manage to convince the entire football world this is a good idea.

On 10/07/2021 at 16:40, Junxs said:

Didn't they have it as recently as 2002?

Then again, USA had it as recently as '94 and have managed to get it again so soon.

It was the safe option after the 2022 disgrace pushed by Plantini (also to blame for the 2020 set up).  North America have oven ready stadiums and massive tv contracts/commercial partners. Same reason why LA are having the Olympics yet again after the Rio debacle.

20 minutes ago, AXD said:

Who comes up with this stuff? Who in their right mind comes up with this formula for a tournament and says 'my god, it's going to be awesome'? some money guy I assume, but still, how does he manage to convince the entire football world this is a good idea.

You do know that is  how FIFA works?

More games, more revenue, more teams especially authoritarian/corrupt Africa and Asia countries to compete in the World Cup who then give UEFA more bribes and to counter balance  the European countries  with free press who ask difficult questions about the governance of the game?

Edited by The Fun Factory

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

You do know that is  how FIFA works?

More games, more revenue, more teams especially authoritarian/corrupt Africa and Asia countries to compete in the World Cup who then give UEFA more bribes and to counter balance  the European countries  with free press who ask difficult questions about the governance of the game?

everyone knows, but nobody can do anything about it

25 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It was the safe option after the 2022 disgrace pushed by Plantini (also to blame for the 2020 set up).  North America have oven ready stadiums and massive tv contracts/commercial partners. Same reason why LA are having the Olympics yet again after the Rio debacle.

I think FBI was investigating too so FIFA decided it was best not to fight them

34 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Probably better than this Euro 2020 format though isn't it? Some of the group winners play 2nd place, some 3rd, not all of which qualify. Don't even know the bracket until all the group games have been played and teams from the same group can meet again before the final.

Tournaments just don't work if there aren't 8, 16, 32... teams qualifying for the knockout rounds. I'd probably rather the Euros went to 8 groups of 3 if it sticks with 24 teams. I'd probably rather still have the Euros just go to 32 teams and the World Cup go to 64 teams if they're going to keep getting expanded, which they will. Obviously I'd rather the Euros had just remained at 16 teams and the World Cup 32, but that ship has sailed.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yeah but so have we, and we haven't had it since '66

I think, from experience, there is a big difference between rowdy English fans and the eastern European/Italian/neo-nazi/hooligan types.

The latter are dangerous criminal group, but very much in the underground. They will leave you alone when you have your meal in the centre of Warsaw, and will not cause you issues when walk around Rome. They are often real criminals with a certain sense of "honour" (bullshit in my view) and "rules". The pricks of the highest order but as long as you keep to yourself unlikely to cause you trouble.

Rowdy English fans are much more common, and will shit in a fountain, whistle on girls, cause older couples to leave restaurants through their behaviour, be sick after 6 pints of cheap beer. They will walk topless through cities and sing songs about "a fuc**** shithole" they happen to be in.

There seems to be more hooligan types in other countries, but many more drunken idiots in England.

So I think comparing the two is a bit pointless because they are two different groups.

• Like 4

Â