World Cup 2030

sidcow

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

There seems to be more hooligan types in other countries, but many more drunken idiots in England.

So I think comparing the two is a bit pointless because they are two different groups.

that was my experience of st etienne in 2016

watched croatia vs czech republic there, they've got a main square, lined with cafes and bars, all of them open, tables outside, apartments above them with people on the balconies, UEFA and coca cola put a DJ on in the middle, everyone mingling having a beer, big block of toilets, absolutely no problems...during the game Croatian hooligans threw flares on the pitch and got the game suspended

england played slovakia there a few days later and it was a ghost town, all the local businesses had shut, the town was closed, all the tables and chairs removed from the square, the DJ was long gone, no UEFA or coca cola anywhere to be seen, 2 of the 18 odd restaurants were open and they were a plastic table set up outside with a keg on it, weren't allowed in, couldn't get food anywhere, they'd even taken the toilets away leaving people pissing in the street, england fans climbed the balconies to hang flags, one guy opened his windows up and stuck his speakers out and blasted music to us all, beers thrown everywhere, smoke bombs, flares...dont get me wrong it was "enjoyable" but it was a completely different atmosphere to what id seen there before and yet we had no visible hooligans, none of the guys all in black or smashing anything or anyone up, no mingling didnt see any slovakians, just thousands upon thousands of piss heads

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I think, from experience, there is a big difference between rowdy English fans and the eastern European/Italian/neo-nazi/hooligan types.

The latter are dangerous criminal group, but very much in the underground. They will leave you alone when you have your meal in the centre of Warsaw, and will not cause you issues when walk around Rome. They are often real criminals with a certain sense of "honour" (bullshit in my view) and "rules". The pricks of the highest order but as long as you keep to yourself unlikely to cause you trouble.

Rowdy English fans are much more common, and will shit in a fountain, whistle on girls, cause older couples to leave restaurants through their behaviour, be sick after 6 pints of cheap beer. They will walk topless through cities and sing songs about "a fuc**** shithole" they happen to be in.

There seems to be more hooligan types in other countries, but many more drunken idiots in England.

So I think comparing the two is a bit pointless because they are two different groups.

That's exactly right IME.

An interesting difference between England and other countries in Europe seems to me to be that in England, the clubs have mostly got their shit together in terms of policing around the ground, while the national team is a complete mess, whereas in other countries it seems to more like the other way round.

On 10/07/2021 at 11:39, Junxs said:

I fear the stunt pulled by English, Spanish and Italian clubs with the failed super league has left a bad taste in the footballing world, so can't see it being awarded to any of these countries for a long time.

That's the primary power axis though. There will be no punishment outside the clubs that were involved. 

On 16/07/2021 at 15:34, Zatman said:

According to The Athletic, Saudi Arabia are considering a joint bid with Italy. I checked my calendar and its not April 1st

I wonder, how far can those stupid ideas be pushed. One day, when we have a 96 team world cup hosted by Peru, Azerbaijan and Faroe Islands, surely someone, somewhere, has got to stop and think that this is stupid. Of course, at that point the World Cup will be a biannual event.

Sure, it makes some people enough money to buy a 2nd yach, granted. But surely this insane trend has got to stop?

Football is better (for a lack of a better word) than many other sports because of its international rarity, difficulty to achieve the top honours and prestige.

Â