Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

I don't like that Buendia is not playing, but the jury is still out on Coutinho for me so i want to see him until the end of the season.

If Coutinho would of stepped up with top class performances in the next few games (I doubt it based on what I've seen) and we don't know because he's on the bench that could be a massive miss to Aston Villa.

So it's a case of bigger picture for me, because I know Buendia is class and we have him next season. Not saying that's right, I'm similar with Ings and Bailey, I want them to have opportunities to show us they can do it. Whether a manager is able to articulate that in some way to Emi with it being palatable to him I don't know.

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Gerrard doesn’t know how to play him and Coutinho in the same team, and to be honest, I can see why. Or at least, I know why Gerrard can’t. 

I think he’s worried that Buendia and Coutinho playing wide in a 4-3-3 lacks pace. In a 4-3-2-1 you could argue they tread on each other’s toes. The only other formation he could work together with Phil in, is a 4-2-3-1 but we don’t have the players to play a double pivot. 

It is a problem and one that can’t be solved by saying, ‘he needs to find a way to play them both’, because the team and the structure is the most important thing. 

I honestly don’t know how Buendia will fit into the side next year if Coutinho signs.

Is Coutinho doing enough atm to be starting?

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Should be the first name on the teamsheet

and that is why people(me included) wanted Buendia instead of Ings for the sub yesterday. Thought Buendia should have started and it was nothing against Ings.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Is Coutinho doing enough atm to be starting?

Yeh, I think he is. I like the way he’s always trying to get on the ball and I think he can open teams up. I really rate him even if the goals and assists aren’t there. He just needs to stop shooting so much!

I think both Emi and Coutinho can play  in the same team as long as with have the assurance of 2 defensive midfielders in the team...would be really exciting to watch. I'd play Ings up front if they're both in the side.

• Like 2

We need him to start scoring more, but his goals and assists stats combined aren't actually that bad, seven in 1605 minutes of Premier League football, which is under eighteen games worth.

I think problem we have is that recently we've been better when the productive duo Watkins and Ings have been on the pitch together, so can understand those two starting, and then Coutinho is better than Buendia, no shame in that, Coutinho will get more goals and more assists, he's probably better than most players we've ever had, can even do things that Grealish couldn't do.

I've seen a few people suggest trying Buendia as No.8, I don't think that's the worst idea, in his style of play he kind of reminds me of a more skilful McGinn, and he drops very deep anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Not for your biggest wvee signing. We aint honna take a 20m hot on him. No chance. We will give him another season and see how he gets on i think 

Wesley? Expensive flops get sold on at a loss all the time.

Btw I’m not saying Buendia is a flop - I rate him and would like him to have another season (altho I think it will be tough to squeeze him and Coutinho into the same side).

But your logic for why we should keep him is just sunk cost fallacy. It’s a bad way to run a club. What if his value falls even further? And what about the wage bill? Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

7 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

and that is why people(me included) wanted Buendia instead of Ings for the sub yesterday. Thought Buendia should have started and it was nothing against Ings.

Good job Ings did come on when he did, scoring and assisting.  Buendia should be playing but so should Ings.  It’s the one thing (bringing Ings on) that Gerrard actually did right yesterday.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Wesley? Expensive flops get sold on at a loss all the time.

Btw I’m not saying Buendia is a flop - I rate him and would like him to have another season (altho I think it will be tough to squeeze him and Coutinho into the same side).

But your logic for why we should keep him is just sunk cost fallacy. It’s a bad way to run a club. What if his value falls even further? And what about the wage bill? Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

Wes was 22m and he is still a villa player. We paid over 35m for buendia and he hasnt suffered a massive injury like wesley did. So its not really a comparison. 

No one is gonna pay even 30m for emi at the mo so make little sense to sell him for even less than that

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wes was 22m and he is still a villa player. We paid over 35m for buendia and he hasnt suffered a massive injury like wesley did. So its not really a comparison. 

No one is gonna pay even 30m for emi at the mo so make little sense to sell him for even less than that

Ok so if his value keeps going down we just keep him forever? Come on, clubs sell players at a loss all the time 

7 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

I think both Emi and Coutinho can play  in the same team as long as with have the assurance of 2 defensive midfielders in the team...would be really exciting to watch. I'd play Ings up front if they're both in the side.

Considering the outlay we made for Buendia, £38m, we have to try to get him in the team with Coutinho. We can’t buy players for close to £40m and then bin them arbitrarily because the gaffer wants to sign his mate, as class as his mate is it’s not really a professional or sustainable way to do things. I think Buendia is good enough to adapt although I admit there probably is work to do but we at least need to try it. We have Ings + Watkins enough second chances to see if it would work.

52 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Your forgetting one thing - FFP. If a club sells a player for a loss it’s one big hit to the accounts, if we keep them or loan them out it will be a loss as per the annual amortisation cost but it will be far less as it’s spread out evenly over the duration of the contract. In a normal business you’d be right on sunk costs, but there’s a difference with football clubs. Your example of Wesley proves the point, he is actually still a villa player because from an accounting perspective it’s better to run his contract down than to sell him early (even better if you can offload his wages via a loan) - we won’t get a fee for him in any scenario but it’s about mucking around with the accounting technicalities.

As for selling Buendia, after one season? Statistically one of our most creative players… would be madness. 

I agree it would be a bad idea to get rid of him btw, but I think that because I rate him. Not because he cost loads of money. Re FFP yea fair point, but we’d likely still get close-ish to his purchase price… and be offloading his wages at same time. Wesley a bit different because he’s worth very little now.

This is a bit of a bizzare thing to say but I'm not sure signing Coutinho is worth it if it means Buendia will be sold or want to leave. Coutinho certainly raises the profile of the club and may be a factor in better players wanting to join in the Summer, but we look better with Buendia on the pitch lately. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Ok so if his value keeps going down we just keep him forever? Come on, clubs sell players at a loss all the time 

But the sums your suggesting is madness. You dont sell a 40m player for half his value after one season.

Remember joelinton? He was a disaster in his 1st season and its taken a few years but he is really good now. We need to keep buendia for at least another year.

• Like 2

Buendia was brilliant again yesterday and I really hope he stays with us for several seasons after this one. Maybe he's our best player after Coutinho.

I guess it's not easy to put them both in the same starting line-up as they are the same kind of player (same role) but I hope Gerrard does start them both again anyway. I'll be absolutely gutted if Buendía leaves us because of not getting enough starts.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 2

Â