VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

On 10/01/2024 at 14:15, Xann said:

Is this the 50s album with the most takers here?

MilesDavis-KindofBlueCoverart.webp.df51f69532e6ea75102ef7d3cb8686a3.webp

Good shout, though I’d personally rank a couple of others higher:

Saxophone_Colossus_-_Sonny_Rollins.jpg

Moanin'_(Art_Blakey).jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Good shout, though I’d personally rank a couple of others higher:

Saxophone_Colossus_-_Sonny_Rollins.jpg

Moanin'_(Art_Blakey).jpg

Yep, all those. 

The thing with jazz is that the same thing applies that I said in the country music thread - you have to have at least a grain of liking for that style to start with. But if the sound of weeping steel guitars - or noodling saxes with no recognisable tune - just sets your teeth on edge, you're probably never going to get it (just like me with hip hop). It's OK not to like things. 

• Like 1

Many years ago, back in the 80’s golden period of music, I had a spare ticket for Courtney Pine and the Jazz Warriors. I persuaded my then girlfriend to come along for an ebening of cool culture with likeminded sophisticated people.

Turned out Courtney was having a minor drama queen moment and couldn’t come on stage as he wasn’t feeling it. We were asked to wait, and wait, and wait.

Over an hour after they were supposed to start they shambled on stage no conversation, explanation, apology. Just walked on stage and played a set with minimal interaction, just a mumbled title of the next tune and off they’d go for another 15 minute random session getting squeaks out of clarinets and saxophones. The Fast Show on a bad trip.

She absolutely utterly hated it. On every possible level. Hated the venue, jazz, the management, jazz, the inventor of the alto sax, jazz, but mostly Courtney Pine. To this day, any mention of jazz and I have to hear the anecdote of the night she spent giving jazz a chance. 

Years later, as ice cold revenge, she took me to see Beverly Craven.

Hostilities continue to this day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not quite as bad as @chrisp65 but similar. I took my then girlfriend to see "Cream" at the Adelphi in West Bromwich (long since demolished). They didn't turn up until 1.00am , fortunately ,the support band (can't remember name) were ace and played on; bringing on Dave Pegg , who you all might know. Cream, however , were brilliant and she really got into it, although worried about what her parents might think about late night. To cap it all, my scooter wouldn't start !! Gives you some idea of how ancient I am .

• Like 1

There are some gigs that my wife is happy to go to with me. There are others she knows to avoid like the plague, and I go on my own or with mates. After 41 years of marriage we both instantly know which is which. 

She's OK with country and folk, but won't touch anything resembling jazz or prog. 

• Like 1

I'm out working for a little while, I've got the radio on and Riley & Co has just come on…

Customer gets in the car and the usual, what’s this shite you’re listening to comment….

So you’re not into the Welsh Language baroque pop of Melin Melyn I take it?

Puzzled look

Can you just put…..

No, it’s shit

You don't know what I'm going to say

Let me take a guess, we've got a 40% chance of whatever Radio Shiity just changed their name to this week or a 50% chance of Capital or there’s an outside chance of you asking for Juice FM which turned into Capital about 10 years ago and you never realised

£4:50 please

Bastard made me talk all the way through Melin Melyn

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One of the harmless randoms I follow on x is a rolling New Orleans Jazz Fest / Radio station.

This is this years ‘big’ festival. It’s a bit of a mix.

spacer.png

I decided to take some time to explore audio and minimalism over Christmas and new year, basically breaking down and apart audio in order to toy with fragments of sounds. I wanted to experiment with combing this with really lush and alien sounding synths that hark back to ambient music and intelligent drum and bass from the 90s and early 00s, but with a wider modern production. The idea was to create landscapes of solitude in an imagined unrecognizable, fantastic future. The result is a collection of 8 ambient and glitch songs designed to work together to produce this feeling. I hope you enjoy the result:

Spotify:

YouTube:

• Like 3

On 18/01/2024 at 20:43, osmark86 said:

I decided to take some time to explore audio and minimalism over Christmas and new year, basically breaking down and apart audio in order to toy with fragments of sounds. I wanted to experiment with combing this with really lush and alien sounding synths that hark back to ambient music and intelligent drum and bass from the 90s and early 00s, but with a wider modern production. The idea was to create landscapes of solitude in an imagined unrecognizable, fantastic future. The result is a collection of 8 ambient and glitch songs designed to work together to produce this feeling. I hope you enjoy the result:

Spotify:

YouTube:

This shit is incredible, you got a Bandcamp or something?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

bring me the horizon. Bit screamo-ey for me maybe but the teenage nephew actually is into a band. What's the VT lowdown?

A serviceable gateway into better stuff (Dillinger, Botch, Deftones, Cave In etc.)

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

A serviceable gateway into better stuff (Dillinger, Botch, Deftones, Cave In etc.)

Never enjoyed BMTH, but all of those bands you listed are class. Deftones is one of my all-time favourite bands, Cave In played an enormous part in maturing my tastes for guitar music, and Dillinger shocked me back in '00 when I heard 43% Burnt and my brain couldn't understand how music could actually sound like that. Botch is also top tier metalcore/hardcore, but my personal favourite in that style is Poison The Well (especially their 3 final albums).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

BBC2 current running a show of songs that never made it into the top 40. Some massive songs from some massive artists. I've given up checking on Google because I just don't believe it. So far Johnnie Cash Ring of Fire, Dolly Parton 9 to 5, Tina Turner Proud Mary (rolling on the river) Brian Adams Summer of 69, David Bowie Heroes, The Verve Sonnet and others I've forgotten. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

BBC2 current running a show of songs that never made it into the top 40. Some massive songs from some massive artists. I've given up checking on Google because I just don't believe it. So far Johnnie Cash Ring of Fire, Dolly Parton 9 to 5, Tina Turner Proud Mary (rolling on the river) Brian Adams Summer of 69, David Bowie Heroes, The Verve Sonnet and others I've forgotten. 

Is someone going to tell them they’re talking out of their arse.Heroes was a Top 40 single

• Like 1

Â