VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

OK, it didn't take long before I got bored with The National. It's inoffensive enough, but basically rather dull and generic. Sounds like a million other bands of that type. Best band in history? You're having a laugh. 

Now undertaking my promised exploration of Tool's 'Lateralus'. First impressions - not the sort of thing I'd put on by choice, but interesting, so far. They've got something, for sure. 

They’re the also the world’s biggest grower! Could seem dull at first sure, but you get out what you put in.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Since I'm pretty sure I've never heard a note by, and couldn't name a song or an album by The National - and they are apparently the best band in history - I'm giving it a listen right now. 

Will report back. 

This has come up before after you listened to High Violet and felt indifferent about it. I recommended you listen to the song “90 mile water wall” as I think it’s more your thing.

Don’t want to misrepresent myself, I don’t think you’d hear it and suddenly rush out and buy their entire back catalogue, but I believed it’s a song that you’d hear and be of the opinion  “Yeah, ok that’s pleasant enough, in another life, another time, I’d probably really like this band.”

And if I remember correctly you reported back basically, yeah that’s more the thing you’d like to hear.

But despite me loving them, they’re not a band I would spend an inordinate amount of time trying to persuade you about, just cherry pick certain songs that I’d feel more confident you’d enjoy.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s great to get in to a band, any band, but then its infuriating when others don’t get it to the same degree.

But that’s also cool, ‘cos you don’t really want your thing to be diluted by being everyone’s thing, with the danger they become the anti cool. Imagine being a massive massive evangelical fan of U2 or Coldplay, only to find millions of people want to go to the same gig and millions of other people are sneering at you for your lack of rebel spirit.

There are so many metrics to measure bands and music by, but the only one that counts is how much you personally get from it. So yeah, the nice thing is that any band in the world can be the best band in the world. Whether six other people agree with you, or the entire population of India agree with you, is irrelevant.

As Saint Gruf of Pontcanna once said, ‘much of my music is from a very dangerous place. Middle of the road.’

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to convince anyone, and nor would I want to for the reasons you've said. **** Chris Martin.

18 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This has come up before after you listened to High Violet and felt indifferent about it. I recommended you listen to the song “90 mile water wall” as I think it’s more your thing.

Ah, yes. So I was wrong to say I'd never heard them before, sorry. Clearly not very memorable, though! 

Just had another listen to 90M WW, and sure, it's OK. Obviously I prefer the acoustic guitar to the synthy backing. His voice is a bit monotonous, rather reminiscent of Nick Cave - another one on my "OK, but I don't see what all the fuss is about" list. Wouldn't rush to switch it off, wouldn't pay money for it. 

• Like 1

A return to a record shop today. Spent a good 20 minutes talking Cash, The Fall and McCartney with the owner, had an unpriced original pressing of The Falls Dragnet. Hoped it was a tenner, it wasn't and remains in a record shop in Brixham. Came out with a McCartney shit period ( go on then @bickster) album, Press to Play and Nilsson's Pussy Cats. Zero Tool and National. 

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

A return to a record shop today. Spent a good 20 minutes talking Cash, The Fall and McCartney with the owner, had an unpriced original pressing of The Falls Dragnet. Hoped it was a tenner, it wasn't and remains in a record shop in Brixham. Came out with a McCartney shit period ( go on then @bickster) album, Press to Play and Nilsson's Pussy Cats. Zero Tool and National. 

Are you the only person in the world that likes both Paul McCartney and The Fall? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Are you the only person in the world that likes both Paul McCartney and The Fall? 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I am sure there others. I also like Kelly Clarkson, Alan Jackson and Fugazi so that might dilute that pool a little. 

• Like 1

I'd say I'm national fan but they've had a bad couple of albums, the last 4 now haven't been anything special at best and boring at worst

But that's after a brilliant run, trouble will find me, high violet, boxer, alligator all great albums

Edit - I had bought all their vinyls up until this year including the EPs, 10 years HV special edition, the RSD live album, the super special edition of easy to find... I've not bought the last 2

Edited by villa4europe

Met Steven Wilson today at his album signing in Manchester. What a lovely bloke. Took the time to speak to and listen to everyone, which is awesome when things like this have a habit of feeling clinical and rushed. His new album is rather good too!

35 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve gone back to my childhood circa 91/92 listening to a lot of Guns N Roses Live . Jeez man they were something else. Like him or hate him Axl is one hell of a frontman one of the greats 

They’re a band that have completely passed me by. I think I’d struggle to distinguish between them, Aerosmith and The Cult. I know they were all around at sort of the same time doing sort of the same stadium rock and wearing bandanas whilst having one foot up on some stage kit pointing enigmatically out to an audience.

It’s why I fear going on tv quiz shows. I just know I’d have some question where 10 million viewers are asking how on earth I couldn’t know the other band in the Run DMC video.

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

They’re a band that have completely passed me by. I think I’d struggle to distinguish between them, Aerosmith and The Cult. I know they were all around at sort of the same time doing sort of the same stadium rock and wearing bandanas whilst having one foot up on some stage kit pointing enigmatically out to an audience.

It’s why I fear going on tv quiz shows. I just know I’d have some question where 10 million viewers are asking how on earth I couldn’t know the other band in the Run DMC video.

See your point regarding the other bands mentioned. As it happens I don’t like the other bands mentioned but loved GNR. I don’t know they just seemed dangerous and were the real deal for me. Axl was a diva, but I loved his stage outfits which were changed every other song and he was just pure attitude. Axl must have ran an half marathon on stage every night also . It’s fair to say GNR were my first love. 

• Like 1

Â