Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

I don't think it is about being dropped. It is simply that - for the first time - we will be able to fully rotate players to make sure we are competitive. Players in the modern game expect this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

I don't think it is about being dropped. It is simply that - for the first time - we will be able to fully rotate players to make sure we are competitive. Players in the modern game expect this.

Exactly.

Play-off win assumed, we will have a minimum of 48 games next season. That will only go up with any wins in any competition, so realistically we're talking 55+. No player is playing 55 sets of 90 mins.

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Changing 5 of your starting 11 is stupid. That implies every signing you make is going to be an improvement and we know that isn't always the case. Konsa talked about one of the keys to Emery success was he made the team like a small family. This thread will just turn into bash current players bandwagon like many others

It.s a hypothetical question, that's why I used the word if.

9 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I thought that this was a fair analysis, though I disagree on a couple points.

1. His point about Tielemans having played a lot of games over his career is valid, but we have enough midfielders that he won't have to play every game.

2. He assumes that Torres will knock Mings out of the side. As I mentioned a few posts back, I don't see that happening. I think they will both play.

I'm not sure which of Mings and Torres you would play on which side. However, we had the same problem with Diego and Mings in the one match they played together last year since they're both left-footed and accustomed to playing LCB. Re-watching The Villa-Everton highlights just now (the full match isn't avilable anymore), it looks like Mings played LCB. Different manager now, and Mings-Torres is a different set of players, but something to keep in mind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomC said:

I thought that this was a fair analysis, though I disagree on a couple points.

1. His point about Tielemans having played a lot of games over his career is valid, but we have enough midfielders that he won't have to play every game.

2. He assumes that Torres will knock Mings out of the side. As I mentioned a few posts back, I don't see that happening. I think they will both play.

I'm not sure which of Mings and Torres you would play on which side. However, we had the same problem with Diego and Mings in the one match they played together last year since they're both left-footed and accustomed to playing LCB. Re-watching The Villa-Everton highlights just now (the full match isn't avilable anymore), it looks like Mings played LCB. Different manager now, and Mings-Torres is a different set of players, but something to keep in mind.

FYI Carlos is right footed.

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

FYI Carlos is right footed.

You're correct, my mistake. What confused me is that he did usually play LCB at Sevilla even though he was right-footed. It makes sense that he was the one to switch to RCB being right-footed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomC said:

You're correct, my mistake. What confused me is that he did usually play LCB at Sevilla even though he was right-footed. It makes sense that he was the one to switch to RCB being right-footed.

Yeah he's one of these anomaly left centre backs who is actually right footed!

I can't see him dislodging mings or Pau on rhe left side now tbh.

I thinknit will be Pau LCB, with one from mings, Carlos and konsa on the right side.

Will be very interesting to see who partners Pau.

20 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

This is very poor and you'd expect them in a video about CBs to know we have Diego Carlos who we spent £26m on who is a dominant physical player. They never mention him so never mention a partnership of Torres and Carlos is the exact type of partnership that works in the data

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villan95 said:

I'd say something like this is probably our strongest team at the moment? (assuming we get Diaby🤞)

lineup.png.82f95e1b57131721ad46768ad6cbf82a.png

With the likes of Carlos, Konsa, Tielemans, Bailey, Buendia, Coutinho and Archer not even getting in!

Looks about right. Probably another couple to join also. 

I think Mings may be the one that shifts over to the right in our strongest XI but we'll see.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, villan95 said:

I'd say something like this is probably our strongest team at the moment? (assuming we get Diaby🤞)

lineup.png.82f95e1b57131721ad46768ad6cbf82a.png

With the likes of Carlos, Konsa, Tielemans, Bailey, Buendia, Coutinho and Archer not even getting in!

Right players, but I don't see Unai changing last year's tactics much, so more like...

Watkins-Diaby

JJ-Doug-Kamara-McGinn

Moreno-Mings-Torres-Cash

...in defense (4-4-2), and...

Moreno-Watkins-Diaby

JJ-McGinn

Doug-Kamara

Mings-Torres-Cash

...in attack (3-box-3).

Tielemans could displace JJ if he has a good start to the season while JJ is hurt.

The one thing that I did not know about Diaby until yesterday is that he's left footed. That would give us two left-footers on the right side (McGinn and Diaby) and a right-footed right back who is told not to attack (Cash or Konsa). The Hatchard interview on 1874 channel on YouTube suggests that Diaby has two capable feet and can cut outside rather than in, so here's hoping that he can provide some crosses from that side. Otherwise, opposing managers will try to clog the half-space to avoid the cut-in because they won't have to worry about a cross.

8 minutes ago, TomC said:

Right players, but I don't see Unai changing last year's tactics much, so more like...

Watkins-Diaby

JJ-Doug-Kamara-McGinn

Moreno-Mings-Torres-Cash

...in defense (4-4-2), and...

Moreno-Watkins-Diaby

JJ-McGinn

Doug-Kamara

Mings-Torres-Cash

...in attack (3-box-3).

Tielemans could displace JJ if he has a good start to the season while JJ is hurt.

The one thing that I did not know about Diaby until yesterday is that he's left footed. That would give us two left-footers on the right side (McGinn and Diaby) and a right-footed right back who is told not to attack (Cash or Konsa). The Hatchard interview on 1874 channel on YouTube suggests that Diaby has two capable feet and can cut outside rather than in, so here's hoping that he can provide some crosses from that side. Otherwise, opposing managers will try to clog the half-space to avoid the cut-in because they won't have to worry about a cross.

Yeah I couldn't decide whether it would be Diaby or McGinn playing off Watkins (as McGinn did it at times last season)

8 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Just browsing other teams forums about the Diaby thing and came across what one thinks is Villa's best 11

image.thumb.png.d715a9ee37cef042d57b9ab56a196d70.png

Amusing.

It's not that wild other than Kamara. It's a bit of a Fifa 23 team in terms of ratings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villan95 said:

Yeah I couldn't decide whether it would be Diaby or McGinn playing off Watkins (as McGinn did it at times last season)

Not too far out but for Newcastle away I think Tielemans will start and we'll go more of a 4-3-3 to match them up.

Will be an interesting watch, only issue is our left side is a bit decimated with Moreno and Ramsey out and those two completely destroyed Newcastle (with Ollie also drifting that side) in April so the triangle passing option won't be there.

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Not too far out but for Newcastle away I think Tielemans will start and we'll go more of a 4-3-3 to match them up.

Will be an interesting watch, only issue is our left side is a bit decimated with Moreno and Ramsey out and those two completely destroyed Newcastle (with Ollie also drifting that side) in April so the triangle passing option won't be there.

Will be interesting to see where Tielemans fits in unless the plan is to change to 4-3-3 on a more regular basis. I did see something about Moreno maybe being ahead of schedule which would be a huge boost if he is fit for the start of the season.

I can see us using a 442, 4231 and 433 this season, especially as we’re likely to recruit more post Diaby (please make it official).

Could we see another No10 come in to play the Odegaard role in a 433? We were linked to De Ketelare and Kudus previously. 

Â