Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

6 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Which ones?

Which ones are you expecting me to say, in view of me majoring on defensive frailty.

I think some of our players are more inclined to be responsible than others for fundamental naive play, particulary, without the ball.....those are the ones I would target.

I am not convinced with the centre backs, but the long standing issues in central midfield has probably, impacted on this. They have had to put up with woeful defending from midfield for too long.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Which ones are you expecting me to say, in view of me majoring on defensive frailty.

I wasn’t expecting you to say any in particular I was just interested as you are a pretty positive poster (to your credit). All I know about your general opinions is that you are pro Gerrard on the whole and think the players are mentally weak. Beyond that I don’t know where you think the blame lies which was I asked. You don’t have to answer, I’m not that fussed, just mildly curious.

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I wasn’t expecting you to say any in particular I was just interested as you are a pretty positive poster (to your credit). All I know about your general opinions is that you are pro Gerrard on the whole and think the players are mentally weak. Beyond that I don’t know where you think the blame lies which was I asked. You don’t have to answer, I’m not that fussed, just mildly curious.

Apologies, if I reacted to what I thought was a loaded question.

While, I don't think the stature of a team, is the be all and end all.....I do think in todays high intensity games, it makes a difference....I think our team is too light and too small, compared to many other teams in the division....and I think this plays a part in our inability to dominate in the air, when required....Aerial balls play more a part, than some care to admit....set pieces is just ones area, but a crucial area to get right.

I don't want to see a team of giants, but I do want to see us adequately competitive in the crucial area's of defending our goal or our lead.

I do get, that smaller players, can engage in high intensity, but it doesn't make up for losing crucial aerial balls, that lead to players being played in to goal threatening scenario's.

Brighton was an example how savvy defending stopped Spurs from opening them up like they did us.....and denying Harry Kane was instrumental in them stopping Spurs.

I know, its not just having big players, its about defensive organisation too....but the players have to be able to play to the defensive instructions.

I accept, that one thing alone is not the issue, but I think if we don't start fixing some things, the others won't be forthcoming.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Apologies, if I reacted to what I thought was a loaded question.

While, I don't think the stature of a team, is the be all and end all.....I do think in todays high intensity games, it makes a difference....I think our team is too light and too small, compared to many other teams in the division....and I think this plays a part in our inability to dominate in the air, when required....Aerial balls play more a part, than some care to admit....set pieces is just ones area, but a crucial area to get right.

I don't want to see a team of giants, but I do want to see us adequately competitive in the crucial area's of defending our goal or our lead.

I do get, that smaller players, can engage in high intensity, but it doesn't make up for losing crucial aerial balls, that lead to players being played in to goal threatening scenario's.

Brighton was an example how savvy defending stopped Spurs from opening them up like they did us.....and denying Harry Kane was instrumental in them stopping Spurs.

I know, its not just having big players, its about defensive organisation too....but the players have to be able to play to the defensive instructions.

I accept, that one thing alone is not the issue, but I think if we don't start fixing some things, the others won't be forthcoming.

We are a little team but I think we’re really suffering as  result of not improving our midfield for several windows. It might only take a couple of players to make a massive difference. I also think they’ve suffered from a lack of purpose, our season has been over since feb. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

We are a little team but I think we’re really suffering as  result of not improving our midfield for several windows. It might only take a couple of players to make a massive difference. I also think they’ve suffered from a lack of purpose, our season has been over since feb. 

I agree.

The frustration, of not improving our midfield,defensively, has been hugely surprising, for me.....I must say I am equally surprised with the savvy a huge football clubs has, that it has dragged on for so long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tezzaleed said:

yes we all know we need a defensive midfielder but apart from that where are the holes.  there aren't really any if we play sensible formations.  in attack we have 2 decent strikers (how many years have we waited to say that).  We have decent wingers ghat aren't getting any game time.  we have attacking midfielders and decent centre mid.  we have 3 decent cb's and although we have no cover our first team full backs are good.  best keeper we've had since bosnich.  where are the holes?   we are a cdm away from top 6 contenders but we play like clueless relegation fodder.

What do you mean?.....you can't just brush it away, like yes, yes we know all that......but.

Its had a knock on affect to most of the team....left unchecked for so long, it will.

I have seen it before in the past, where clear holes have not been adequately filled and it has a knock on effect, to the point the whole team looks, poor and results follow.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I agree.

The frustration, of not improving our midfield,defensively, has been hugely surprising, for me.....I must say I am equally surprised with the savvy a huge football clubs has, that it has dragged on for so long.

TRO I can only agree so far I am afraid. The first goal at Wolves exposed our issues. Full backs providing width going forward leaves gapping holes at the back when we lose the ball. McGinn and Ramsey have to provide cover which then leaves the midfield overan. A good DM cannot put that right on its own. SG needs to look at why you can drive a bus through our midfield at times and change it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tezzaleed said:

ok accepted cdm is a big hole, but you say holes rather than a hole.  

Where are the GIF masters when you need them? We have a Code Red here lads !? 👀

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Out of what's here already I think he'll persist with starting:

Martinez, Cash, Digne, Mings, McGinn or Ramsey and, Coutinho. I think there'll be 5 new starters brought in. A new defensive midfielder, right sided centre back, a new front three. 

A new front three, do you mean a new striker and two new number 10s? The 10s for me feels like a position where we have too many already,

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mykeyb said:

TRO I can only agree so far I am afraid. The first goal at Wolves exposed our issues. Full backs providing width going forward leaves gapping holes at the back when we lose the ball. McGinn and Ramsey have to provide cover which then leaves the midfield overan. A good DM cannot put that right on its own. SG needs to look at why you can drive a bus through our midfield at times and change it.

I don't disagree....but when the wingers play, they don't do anything either....so we are best burnt as scolded.

I do take your point....and I agree the big gaps are all too clear......but we have tried it with wingers and that don't work either.

The midfield is a problem, thats not going away, by changing shapes, there is only so much you can do, to try to negate it.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't disagree....but when the wingers play, they don't do anything either....so we are best burnt as scolded.

I do take your point....and I agree the big gaps are all too clear......but we have tried it with wingers and that don't work either.

The midfield is a problem, thats not going away, by changing shapes, there is only so much you can do, to try to negate it.

Have we tried it with wingers? Really? I mean we've started Bailey under Gerrard maybe 3 times but I don't think he's played as a winger. I have never seen us under him play with proper width and counter attacking play. It's all slow a hundred touches in the middle and the back allowing the opposition to get back in numbers constantly, till we commit everyone forward and we get roasted on the break and cut through like butter. 

• Like 1

Just now, VillanousOne said:

Have we tried it with wingers? Really? I mean we've started Bailey under Gerrard maybe 3 times but I don't think he's played as a winger. I have never seen us under him play with proper width and counter attacking play. It's all slow a hundred touches in the middle and the back allowing the opposition to get back in numbers constantly, till we commit everyone forward and we get roasted on the break and cut through like butter. 

Correct. He hasn't used Bailey as a winger.

3 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

but we tried it under the previous manager, and presumably, he bought them?

8 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We'll need to make tactical changes next season. I'd like to see us play 4 3 3 again if we have a midfield 3 balance that works

if you get that, most systems have a chance of working.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

but we tried it under the previous manager, and presumably, he bought them?

And having wingers/width quite often worked under Smith, but this season due to a horrific non existent preseason and injuries, Dean barely had a chance to play wingers because they were all injured and he was toiling with a front two and back three experiment. He never got to really play the new signings in the positions he presumably bought them for.

Gerrard has/can and doesn't.

Edited by VillanousOne

Â