Ye Olde Birmingham of Yore

Follyfoot

Anyone else remember Circo Bar, on Holloway Head? Was a vodka bar from memory. Very little information online about it. Only photo I could find was this:

Was open from  '96-'01

A4a0-5648-415e-9e87-6c065cbdbe51.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So I'm told. I was long gone by then. 

It was one of my teenage hangouts, about 1970-1972. 

Some beautifully amateurish video of old Brum here. I assume zoom was a new feature. 

Some very strange subjects to film but does include some video of The Parisian exterior. 

https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/104840/

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Xela said:

Anyone else remember Circo Bar, on Holloway Head? Was a vodka bar from memory. Very little information online about it. Only photo I could find was this:

Was open from  '96-'01

Yeah, I remember going there during or shortly after my uni days. It was ok I guess, but I was never really into vodka bars.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Xela said:

Was open from  '96-'01

Where exactly was it? 

Was it next to The Jester or where The Raddison is now. 

I don't remember it at all but if its the latter it might have been where Ginos Italian Restaurant was previously? 

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Where exactly was it? 

Was it next to The Jester or where The Raddison is now. 

I don't remember it at all but if its the latter it might have been where Ginos Italian Restaurant was previously? 

My memory plays tricks, as I thought it was by the Jester, but the address I can find is 6-8 Holloway Circus. The Raddison is 10 Holloway circus, so it must have been there! Possibly demolished to make way for the new building?

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

My memory plays tricks, as I thought it was by the Jester, but the address I can find is 6-8 Holloway Circus. The Raddison is 10 Holloway circus, so it must have been there! Possibly demolished to make way for the new building?

Yeah it was where the Radisson now is. In my mind though it was actually there after the Radisson was built, but that can't possibly be the case!!

In terms of the historical licensing question on the other page the magistrates court records should hold licensing applications from the pre-council issued era. Local LVA or FLVA (Licenced Victuallers Association) records would also be pretty complete as a cross reference. I'd have thought they'd be available to anyone interested.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah it was where the Radisson now is. In my mind though it was actually there after the Radisson was built, but that can't possibly be the case!!

Raddison began construction in 2003 and finished in 2006. 

Only reference I can find to Circo is that it closed in 2001... although i'm not sure of the accuracy of that. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Raddison began construction in 2003 and finished in 2006. 

Only reference I can find to Circo is that it closed in 2001... although i'm not sure of the accuracy of that. 

Yeah, I'm going with my theory that it's where Gino's Italian was, or maybe the function room there where I attended my first 3 or 4 work Christmas doos. 

One year we went to The Dome afterwards and Timmy Mallett was there and another year some band who had Russ Abbott on drums. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

From that thread: 

I worked as a barmaid at the Parisian circa 1970. We moved with the landlord and landlady (smashing couple) from the wandering minstrel, smallbrook Queensway to the Parisian. I was there the opening night working part time in the upstairs bar wearing a very sexy little number which was the uniform. A white chiffon low neck top with a black velvet short naughty short similar to a Parisian maid outfit. Perfect! Of course I wore all the accessories needed to complement such an outfit, i.e. Black seamed tights with white frilly tennis nickers. Nut brown ales on the bottom shelf were a big tipper!!!!! I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

Bloody hell, I remember her!  😍 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Was open from  '96-'01

Yeah, liked that place. Can't really remember drinking Vodka there, but went there a few times, usually half decent music 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Strange , every pub that’s been mentioned on here are blues pubs 

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Bull Ring Tavern yet.

Mate. 

• Like 1

Â