Ye Olde Birmingham of Yore

Follyfoot

Does anyone know if the pubs in the old bullring kept trading right up to it's demolition. 

I've heard tell of The Matador and The Wandering Minstrel but I was well into my twenties before the old bullring closed and for the life of me I dont recall any pubs there, can't even picture where they might have been. 

Funny how it was considered important to have pubs incorporated into a shopping centre back then. I doubt it even crossed the minds of the developers of the current bullring. 

I went down a Birmingham club YouTube rabbit hole the other night after a random memory came back to me about the Que Club on Corporation St. What a venue that was by the way! I found this great little documentary that’s worth a watch for anyone that ever partied there:  

I also found one of those urban explorer type channels where they went into the club on Hurst St that I knew as ‘Pulse’, but previously Locarno? And more recently, Zanzibar and Oceana. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I went down a Birmingham club YouTube rabbit hole the other night after a random memory came back to me about the Que Club on Corporation St. What a venue that was by the way! I found this great little documentary that’s worth a watch for anyone that ever partied there:  

I also found one of those urban explorer type channels where they went into the club on Hurst St that I knew as ‘Pulse’, but previously Locarno? And more recently, Zanzibar and Oceana. 

Tuts.  The Powerhouse. 

Not sure why that's been empty for so long. Assume that's due to be redeveloped too. 

Snobs on the move (again). Moving to Broad Street.

One of Birmingham's most well known indie nightclubs is set to move home.

Founded more than 50 years ago, Snobs has hosted a huge range of events, including the city's longest-running student night Big Wednesday.

It will move early next year to 200 Broad Street, the former premises of Velvet Music Rooms, which closed last month.

Beeb link

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Snobs on the move (again). Moving to Broad Street.

Beeb link

Its only Snobs in name now.

Might as well call it words removed, if its on Broad St :)

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, sidcow said:

Tuts.  The Powerhouse. 

Not sure why that's been empty for so long. Assume that's due to be redeveloped too. 

Ritzy, as well, I think? My memory is hazy... must have been all those Smirnoff Mules! 

41 minutes ago, Xela said:

Ritzy, as well, I think? My memory is hazy... must have been all those Smirnoff Mules! 

Ah yes. I was thinking about if it had a different name between Powerhouse and Oceana. 

That was it. 

I was still clubbing in those days. 

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

@It's Your Round had already name checked Lorarno.😛

Not me sir, I mentioned Locarno ;)

Anyway, I’m not as old as you lot so don’t remember any of that. It was Pulse in my day, and I only ever went for Sundissential days/nights. Hard house, sweat and lots of drugs. Had some great times in there, but  also saw tragedy when a young lad died there in 2000. 

I wonder what they’ll do with the building now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Not me sir, I mentioned Locarno ;)

Anyway, I’m not as old as you lot so don’t remember any of that. It was Pulse in my day, and I only ever went for Sundissential days/nights. Hard house, sweat and lots of drugs. Had some great times in there, but  also saw tragedy when a young lad died there in 2000. 

I wonder what they’ll do with the building now. 

I don't remember Locarno you cheeky bugger. 

• Haha 1

Yikes. I've missed several iterations before Oceana.  According to Meaning Evil:

Ritzy in 1990

Pulse in 1996

Zanzibar in 1999 and then £5 million nightspot Oceana which opened to much fanfare in 2008 and ran until 2010.

Assume it was then Electric before closure. 

Whilst we're at it Snobs is actually Pagoda Park as well 👍

This site has some good photos from the various incarnations over the years. Plus an update on what’s planned for the building…

https://hurst-street.com/146-the-locarno/

The former Electric club which in previous incarnations had been Oceana, Pulse, Ritzy, Zanzibar and The Powerhouse, will be demolished and turned into apartments. The owners of Ringway House, have plans to turn the site into a “flagship, multi-million pound office, retail, leisure and residential development.”

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

This site has some good photos from the various incarnations over the years. Plus an update on what’s planned for the building…

https://hurst-street.com/146-the-locarno/

Wow. Amazing that Chippy next door is still there, and still a "chippy" yet virtually everything else has gone. 

In addition it's odd the number of temporary looking buildings all around the place. I assume quickly built on bombed out building sites from the war. 

• Like 2

I was thinking about the bands I saw at the Locarno / Powerhouse. There will be more than this but I seem to remember Depeche Mode including Vince Clarke on the Speak and Spell tour (iirc Blancmange supported) The Beat, Wonderstuff / PWEI double header, Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Bauhaus, The Comsat Angels and I may have misremembered this one but possibly The Mighty Lemon Drops. Fairly sure they used to have an alternative night maybe on a Wednesday or a Thursday that we used to go to too.

I also know I’ve worked gigs there but those ones I really can’t remember apart from maybe another Wonderstuff gig, possibly…

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bickster said:

I was thinking about the bands I saw at the Locarno / Powerhouse. There will be more than this but I seem to remember Depeche Mode including Vince Clarke on the Speak and Spell tour (iirc Blancmange supported) The Beat, Wonderstuff / PWEI double header, Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Bauhaus, The Comsat Angels and I may have misremembered this one but possibly The Mighty Lemon Drops. Fairly sure they used to have an alternative night maybe on a Wednesday or a Thursday that we used to go to too.

I also know I’ve worked gigs there but those ones I really can’t remember apart from maybe another Wonderstuff gig, possibly…

Apparently U2 played there. You surely went to see them 😁

Just now, sidcow said:

Apparently U2 played there. You surely went to see them 😁

No, I only saw U2 as a paying punter twice. Both times at the Birmingham Odeon. Enjoyed the first gig. Thought Dog Biscuit was a complete fraud at the second. Disliked them ever since.

9 hours ago, bickster said:

I thought I saw Mighty Lemon Drops at The Powerhouse but according to a search it was with PWEI in 86 they played the venue and I don't recall seeing PWEI pre Box Frenzy

Â