Ye Olde Birmingham of Yore

Follyfoot

On 30/10/2023 at 22:18, sidcow said:

Please help me. 

When The Arcadian Centre was first built, there was a massive bar at the front on Ladywell Walk, eventually became a Reflex. 

I am killing myself trying to remember what it was called. 

I get like this sometimes... I'll think of a random pub/bar/club I went to in the late 90s or something then get angry when I can't remember the name. Then I'll spend hours online trying to find out, falling down some rabbit holes along the way! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I get like this sometimes... I'll think of a random pub/bar/club I went to in the late 90s or something then get angry when I can't remember the name. Then I'll spend hours online trying to find out, falling down some rabbit holes along the way! 

I dunno if there's a Brum equivalent, but I'm on a Facebook group called 'Lost Pubs and Clubs of Leeds'. When I first joined it, I expected that I would find maybe a few dozen or so that I used to frequent, that had since bitten the dust. It was quite a shock to realise that it ran into hundreds.   :(

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I dunno if there's a Brum equivalent, but I'm on a Facebook group called 'Lost Pubs and Clubs of Leeds'. When I first joined it, I expected that I would find maybe a few dozen or so that I used to frequent, that had since bitten the dust. It was quite a shock to realise that it ran into hundreds.   :(

There is such a site but this wasn't on it. 

I even found a site which listed every pub in every Brum postcode in the year 2000, 3 years too late. 

As @Xela says I spent hours on it.

Then Mrs Sidcow got involved and spent ages too, kept finding the same sites as me. 

Eventually I got fed up and told her to stop because it was not going to suddenly appear. Literally 5 minutes later she got it with Beer in The Evening which referenced that Reflex used to be called PJ Moon and Sixpence. 

Unbelievable how frustrating such a search can be. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I live on the edge of an old mining village, and within a mile and half radius (in a semi circle) at least 10 pubs have closed down on 25 years. It is shocking.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Unbelievable how frustrating such a search can be. 

True, but we've become spoilt - imagine trying to do it before the internet/WWW. We have come to expect that everything can be found online, and are surprised when occasionally it isn't. 

Edited by mjmooney

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

True, but we've become spoilt - imagine trying to do it before the internet/WWW. We have come to expect that everything can be found online, and are surprised when occasionally it isn't. 

So ofter I find myself (as in this case) frustrated that I can't go further back in time on Google Street View. I want them to put in a facility where people can upload old photos. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So ofter I find myself (as in this case) frustrated that I can't go further back in time on Google Street View. I want them to put in a facility where people can upload old photos. 

You already have that, what you need is the ability to tag those photos with a date. But how could they verify the date?

You could roll your own on Open Street Map if you could get a community of contributors. You'd still have the verification problem though.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

You already have that, what you need is the ability to tag those photos with a date. But how could they verify the date?

You could roll your own on Open Street Map if you could get a community of contributors. You'd still have the verification problem though.

Yeah, that sounds like a lot of work. Interesting feature though. 

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

So, assuming we didn't have the internet, how would we find this information? I guess maybe looking at old licensing applications? Where are they held? The main library? Council house? I don't know, I'm just guessing! There has to be some central records held somewhere. 

43 minutes ago, Xela said:

So, assuming we didn't have the internet, how would we find this information? I guess maybe looking at old licensing applications? Where are they held? The main library? Council house? I don't know, I'm just guessing! There has to be some central records held somewhere. 

There is a record of licences issued. I once saw a site which had every landlord of The Queens Tavern on Essex Street.  Coincidentally the pub we used to use at lunch time before PJ's and The Arcadian was built. A proper boozer with immense chip butties. 

I seem to remember reading that list had been taken from the official records somewhere, probably in The National records or somewhere or possibly the Central. Library. 

That's another pub which managed to survive 100 years or so perfectly fine as a normal pub and has spent the last 20 years under various nonsense shit bar guises or closed. 

• Like 1

Makes me sad that you can walk round London and find a proper Victorian pub serving ale on virtually every corner, and in some Northern towns and cities yet here we can't seem to sustain more than half a dozen in the whole city centre. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

Makes me sad that you can walk round London and find a proper Victorian pub serving ale on virtually every corner, and in some Northern towns and cities yet here we can't seem to sustain more than half a dozen in the whole city centre. 

That's all academic anyway for us DVB types 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Bloody hell. @Xela seems to be having a nostalgic roam around this thread 😂

A trip down memory lane before I actually have to go out and do something :)

• Like 1

Â