Ye Olde Birmingham of Yore

Follyfoot

On 28/02/2021 at 12:02, sidcow said:

I will confess to eating pizza sandwiches in my younger days, usually early AM when returning from The Dome or Pagoda Park etc. 

Pagoda Park, that takes me back. The Powerhouse (became the Ritzy I think) then Wobble and the one by the Market open until 6am, Tin Tins?

25 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Pagoda Park, that takes me back. The Powerhouse (became the Ritzy I think) then Wobble and the one by the Market open until 6am, Tin Tins?

I don't remember Wobble, I've heard of Tin Tins but never went there.  

Usual haunts besides the aforementioned would be Boogies (later Orleans) , Millionaires, Faces, Bonkers, Boogies, The Powerhouse (yes then Ritzy), Peppermint Place, Bobby Brown's the place on 5 Ways Island next to Faces which I am shocked I have forgotten the name of. Later on The Sanctuary in Digbeth, Snobs and The Ship Ashore before Honourable retirement. 

Edited by sidcow

Having gone a bit off topic in the Gravy Food thread I thought I would start this for a bit of nostalgia. 

Post your memories, clubs you would to etc. 

I will. Kick off with my vintage list and ask for help in naming a forgotten one:

Boogies (later Orleans) , Millionaires, Faces, Bonkers, The Powerhouse (yes then Ritzy), Peppermint Place, Bobby Brown's Later on The Sanctuary in Digbeth, Snobs and The Ship Ashore before honourable retirement. 

I used to go many times to the place on 5 Ways Island next to Faces which I am shocked I have forgotten the name of.  Can anyone help? Was between Faces and Peppermint Place.  I think it was the first club I ever went to in actual fact. 

Edited 1 minute ago by sidcow

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

You sure? Wasn't the Powerhouse previously The Locarno?

I went in the Locarno once, it was called something else though.

Fell asleep on the bog, covered in bloody mary spew, in my dad's shirt that I borrowed.

I'd say "good times" but they really weren't.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

The early 70s was all about Barbarella's for me, mainly if there was a good band on. But I was never much of a club person, tbh. 

Barbarellas was just closing down when I started going to clubs, one of my regrets not being that year or two older

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Maximillians is the missing 5 Ways club. 

Just came to me as I was loading the dishwasher after Sunday lunch! 

Wasn't there a wine bar underneath it called Maxwell's plum ? 

Wine bars were de rigeur when i was an office junior in the early 80s. I also remember Hortes wine bar the other side of 5 ways island, part of a small shopping centre. Can't remember the name of the pub that was next to the car park - it was upstairs or you could at least enter it from the upper level of that car park.

Also remember Albert's wine bar, in Albert street down from marks and Spencer heading towards dale end.

Happy, uncomplicated days...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I went in the Locarno once, it was called something else though.

Fell asleep on the bog, covered in bloody mary spew, in my dad's shirt that I borrowed.

I'd say "good times" but they really weren't.

Locarno - Powerhouse - Ritzy - Pulse - Zanzibar - Oceana - Electric, were the names it had

I went to 3 of them I think. One of the very few places I have been ejected from. 

Edited by Xela

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Locarno - Powerhouse - Ritzy - Pulse - Zanzibar - Oceana - Electric, were the names it had

I went to 3 of them I think. One of the very few places I have been ejected from. 

One of the very few times I went to any nightclub, anywhere, couldn't stand them.

Full of words removed, and shitty music to boot.

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

One of the very few places I have been ejected from.

I've been thrown out when it was The Powerhouse. Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros gig. I'd lost my Access All Areas pass

Didn't matter how many times I said the gig can't go ahead without me, it's my crash barrier at the front. Fortunately, we were early adopters of mobile phones. Managed to get through to the TM who came outside and gave me a new pass, laughing his head off

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

One of the very few times I went to any nightclub, anywhere, couldn't stand them.

Full of words removed, and shitty music to boot.

Yep. And overpriced shit beer. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

My era was The Institute, Edwards No.8, Snobs, The (short lived) Foundry and The Hummingbird/Academy. 

Had great nights in all! 

Similar here too (around 2003 - 2006) but with Scruffy Murphy's thrown in for good measure. 

• Like 1

Â