Pre-Match Thread

blunther

10 hours ago, useless said:

That hawkeye didn't work wasn't our fault or responsibility, so we had no obligation to let them score, was completely different to the Leeds situation, they let us score to right a wrong, a wrong that they themselves were responsible for.

And consider this: how do we know that the ball crossed the line, out of the two technologies why should we trust the television images over hawkeye.

this is the thing, at the time no one knew that the technology failed. that came out after the game. the players on the pitch must've been like "well obviously it didn't quite cross the line then"

i so wish the technology hadn't failed though. so tired of hearing about it and i'm 100% convinced we'd have stopped up anyway. there are so many arguments to those that bring it up but i don't even dignify them with responses though. bournemouth fans are particularly salty but then i remind them of this that happened in their 0-0 draw with spurs a few games later, which conveniently doesn't get brought up much if at all:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-news-penalty-bournemouth-three-wrong-var-calls-confirmed-a4494741.html

Tottenham  were wrongly denied a spot-kick by VAR Michael Oliver in one of three incorrect penalty decisions in the top-flight on Thursday night, the Premier League Match Centre have admitted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

If we play well we will win. Our away form is outstanding and this lot are dreadful. 

There are no dreadful teams in this league.

Every game is hard.

You can't beat Man Utd by being dreadful.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Every game is hard.

They are the worst team in the league. 

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I'd rather look at their league position than single out one match.

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

They are the worst team in the league. 

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I'd rather look at their league position than single out one match.

They aren't as bad as you think.

Whenever i've watched them this season not one time have i been sitting thinking. "These are awful"

Even against Liverpool on Monday they were full of energy and working hard. At the end of the day they lost to better quality and may well do again against us. But no way will this be an easy game.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Every game is hard.

You can when Man Utd are equally dreadful on the day which they were

• Like 1

Just now, pintpotvilla said:

You can when Man Utd are equally dreadful on the day which they were

• Sheffield United have lost four successive league matches, failing to score in the last three.
  • They are the first English team in history to lose as many as 21 of their opening 26 top-flight fixtures in a season.
  • The Blades have lost 10 home league games this season. Only once have they lost more: 11 in 2010-11 in the Championship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:
  • Sheffield United have lost four successive league matches, failing to score in the last three.
  • They are the first English team in history to lose as many as 21 of their opening 26 top-flight fixtures in a season.
  • The Blades have lost 10 home league games this season. Only once have they lost more: 11 in 2010-11 in the Championship.

Time for them to equal that record today.  

No professional league team has lost more matches than them after twenty-six games, Newport are the only team that have lost as many at the same stage, even we after twenty-six games the season when relegated had lost six less games than Sheffield United have currently lost. Statistically they're one of the worst teams ever, not just in the premier league but any league. It doesn't mean that we're guaranteed to win, but it's a game we should be winning, and if we play at our best it could be an absolute carnival of scintillating football and goals.

• Like 2

Just now, villalad21 said:

Refuse to give SU any credit then?

Just down to Man Utd being awful

• Anybody can beat anybody on a single day. One result means nothing if the rest of the season has been dreadful
  • West Brom have drawn at Man Utd Man C and at home to Chelsea and they are going down for sure!!
  • You're argument about Sheff Utd doesn't hold water They are very poor and we should win

7 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

There are different ways of losing games though.

I am just disagreeing with the notion of the game being easy.

It's not like they are getting battered 5-0 every week. That has simply not been the case for them this season. They are generally tight games, usually them losing to the odd goal. In the reverse fixture we needed a penalty save and fight hard to beat their 10 men

Edited by villalad21

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Refuse to give SU any credit then?

I can just imagine how much "credit" you would give Dean Smith if we were rock bottom with 11 points after 26 matches.

Also, nobody said it was an easy game. I stated quite accurately that they are dreadful and that if we play well we would win. 

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 3

Whilst Sheffield United have unquestionably been very poor this season, we also have guard against being too complacent, as that state of mind is probably our worst enemy in a game like this.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, useless said:

Whilst Sheffield United have unquestionably been very poor this season, we also have guard against being too complacent, as that state of mind is probably our worst enemy in a game like this.

I don't think this Villa team and coaching staff are ever complacent. Tiredness and poor form isn't the same as complacency and I genuinely can't remember us being guilty of it this season.

(Apart from the 2nd half at Burnley of course) 

I think part of the hatred from these kind of clubs comes from their hatred of Grealish. Nearly every Sheff U and Leeds fan I work with will always say Villa are doing well, but then caveat with but Grealish is a slimy, diving, cheating little shit. Their hatred for a player that is far beyond anything they could hope to attract is tainting their view of our whole club. 

That, and the fact they see us a rival from the Championship days. When Sheff U go down you can bet we’ll never hear from them again, they’ll find a new club to hate. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

while there are no easy games, this should be the easiest of the games we have left in the calendar. 

that's why i'm so nervous. it should be a banker. but i have a really horrible feeling about tonight

We will demolish this lot of elbow lickers and their forums will go into turmoil. Honestly the way they talk about us on their forum really is disgusting. They really are a different breed. Much prefer their rivals.