Pre-Match Thread

blunther

16 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I'm quite shocked by how easy people seem to think this game will be.

We should have breezed past Burnley, and pissed it against Brighton, but no.

I think we have every chance of winning tonight, but this is not a case of simply needing to turn up. Thankfully, I think the coaching staff will have us well prepared - I just hope we're on form.

I think it’s more to do with Sheffield’s form. They really have been awful, they don’t look like they can buy a win at the minute. I agree though, we can’t be too cocky about this game, we’re prone to the odd shite game ourselves.

Edited by 7392craig

26 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Weird post. Yeh he's been struggling for form, he's still a villa player though 

Actually he is a Chelsea player ..... but then I guess you did know that ..... didn't you ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Weird post. Yeh he's been struggling for form, he's still a villa player though 

He’s a Chelsea player and won’t be a Villa player, imo. 

I don’t like his petulant attitude, I don’t like his lack of effort and I don’t like him. I’d much rather we carried on developing Ramsey or used the chance to ease Sanson into the starting XI. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I don't know why so many people in this thread are thinking we just turn up and win.

I've checked the last 7 pages of this thread and I can count 2 maybe 3 posts that could qualify as someone thinking we just have to turn up and win.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

I hope we're 1-0 up after 42 minutes, because that's all that matters in football, they give you the result after that apparently.

Not at all. Possession is what counts. Our misguided tactic of scoring more goals came to nothing against Leeds, who beat us decisively with their possession. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Awol said:

He’s a Chelsea player and won’t be a Villa player, imo. 

I don’t like his petulant attitude, I don’t like his lack of effort and I don’t like him. I’d much rather we carried on developing Ramsey or used the chance to ease Sanson into the starting XI. 

I would also rather sanson/ramsey. Doesn't warrant your **** barkley response though. Weird. Support your club

On 28/02/2021 at 00:51, Sulberto21 said:

I couldn't care less who plays as long as Nakamba plays as a 6 and with two box to box midfielders. 

This season has shown us that last season no one really knew how to set up against these. This season they've been exposed.

If we're on song we can easily put 5/6 against them. But if it's been like the post Covid performances then a scrappy one nil. 

On 28/02/2021 at 08:43, AVFCforever1991 said:

We should be beating these easy, there's a reason they're bottom.

On 28/02/2021 at 11:04, sheepyvillian said:

Roll on the Yorkshire double. 

On 28/02/2021 at 17:17, pintpotvilla said:

The table doesn't lie, they really are!

On 28/02/2021 at 22:14, villa89 said:

Sheffield United are shite. Plain and simple. We should be beating them by 2 or 3. 

On 01/03/2021 at 12:09, foreveryoung said:

Personally I can't see us losing this one. If anyone heard Wilder's post match interview, he seems to have give up now, an he knows they are destined for relegation, so why push for a win against the Villa?

On 01/03/2021 at 13:48, Robtaylor200 said:

There shouldn't be a problem here, we are all a little warry only because we are Villa fans and have seen it all before. To the betting man this should be a banker 

Just a case of how many we score and fully expect another clean sheet 

On 02/03/2021 at 12:52, useless said:

My hope is that we're winning by five plus goals with half an hour left to play, so we can then bring on a couple of youngsters, maybe Davis as well, would be good to give him a chance to get a goal and build his confidence up.

14 hours ago, Mazrim said:

They do?

Oh dear... whatever will become of us?

3 - 0 Villa.

4 hours ago, One For The Road said:

If we play well we will win. Our away form is outstanding and this lot are dreadful. 

3 hours ago, DevonVillan said:

We will demolish this lot of elbow lickers and their forums will go into turmoil. Honestly the way they talk about us on their forum really is disgusting. They really are a different breed. Much prefer their rivals.

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

I've checked the last 7 pages of this thread and I can count 2 maybe 3 posts that could qualify as someone thinking we just have to turn up and win.

:detect:

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not at all. Possession is what counts. Our misguided tactic of scoring more goals came to nothing against Leeds, who beat us decisively with their possession. 

In fairness to Leeds they did breathe an enormous amount of fresh air during that game, which I'm led to believe is the leading metric in deciding how to attribute the moral victory.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

:detect:

Some of them aren't though. @One For The Road for example is saying if we play well.  That's not the same as just turning up. @Mazrim isn't saying it at all. @useless hopes we're winning by 5 and not suggesing we will be.  I guess it's all down to the reader and what they take from the posts or rather what they insert into the posts themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d likely go with the following:

Emi

Elmo Konsa Mings Targett

Nakamba

Sanson McGinn

Traore Watkins Ghazi

Argument to say Luiz for McGinn but I’m not sure the 8 is Luiz’s best position. Tough game this one - need to guard against complacency and match their effort.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

Some of them aren't though. @One For The Road for example is saying if we play well.  That's not the same as just turning up. @Mazrim isn't saying it at all. @useless hopes we're winning by 5 and not suggesing we will be.  I guess it's all down to the reader and what they take from the posts or rather what they insert into the posts themselves.

Exactly. I wouldn't be shocked if we play badly and lose but I would be astounded if we play well and lose this game. 

IF we play well, we will win. I'm convinced of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

Sheffield Wednesday have far more class.

I think they have a similar situation up there to what we have with Blues.

One a classic big club the other a bunch of knuckle draggers.

I'm actually the other way.....much prefer Sheffield United to Wednesday probably due to Bramall Lane is one of my favourite away grounds in the whole country (great view from away end and 10 minutes to the city centre) whereas Hillsborough imo is a complete dump with obviously a tragic past so I've never liked it.

• Like 1

Lawro thinks it will be 1-1. He thinks Vila are not consistent enough to challenge for top 4. Since January the only team we have lost to which have been below us in the league is Burney. All other defeats (Manchester clubs, West Ham and Leicester ) all above us. 😕

Back to the Sheffield clubs at least the blades have invested in Bramall lane. Hillsborough is a rusting relic of a bygone era.

Edited by The Fun Factory

33 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I would also rather sanson/ramsey. Doesn't warrant your **** barkley response though. Weird. Support your club

Barkley has p***ed away his opportunity to join Villa imo so is a waste of a squad spot now. Also, supporting your club doesn’t mean you can’t post what you think about players, staff or anything else Villa related. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

Sheffield Wednesday have far more class.

I think they have a similar situation up there to what we have with Blues.

One a classic big club the other a bunch of knuckle draggers.

Although, I have been supporting Villa for nearly sixty years, I spent 20 years of my life in Sheffield and I can assure you up that you couldn’t be more wrong. The Blades are by far the classier football club by a mile and their fans are on the whole brilliant. Watching matches at Bramall Lane is electric, going to watch Wednesday is most certainly not.

• Like 1

So, my predictions for starting lineup and bench are:

Emi

Elmo    Konsa      Mings      Targett

Luiz          McGinn

Ramsey

Traore        Watkins         El Ghazi

Bench of:

Heaton, Taylor, Nakamba, Trezeguet, Barkley, Sanson, Kesler, Wesley, Engels.