Pre-Match Thread

blunther

18 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’m thankful that a handful of posters here aren’t anything to do with our team preparation. As we’ve ALREADY found out to our cost, you don’t take ANY team in the premier league for granted, you have to earn the right. Talk of easing past the bottom team, blowing them away etc. Misguided. 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Yes we have to be professional. Yes we can't just turn up and expect it to happen. But that's what's got to be done.

Just re-iterating a key part on the off chance you were referring to me :D 

• Like 1

Earn the right to play, don't underestimate them and eventually we should have more class and take the 3 points back home.

Same side as Saturday except for Sanson coming in for Ramsey.

Need a LOT more from Traore - He was the biggest disappointment for me against Leeds.

Have Barkley, Luiz chomping at the bit on the sidelines.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Earn the right to play, don't underestimate them and eventually we should have more class and take the 3 points back home.

Same side as Saturday except for Sanson coming in for Ramsey.

Need a LOT more from Traore - He was the biggest disappointment for me against Leeds.

Have Barkley, Luiz chomping at the bit on the sidelines.

Don't read into too much, he was marked out of the game by that disgraceful pitch

• Like 1

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

If ever there was a game for Barkley to come back in its this one. No need to protect the back 4 here, just go for the win. They are bottom for a reason.

2-0 Villa and another win without Jack.

I disagree

If there ever was a game for Barkley NOT to come in, it’s this one.  This should be a straight forward win if we have 11 players on the pitch applying themselves.  We don’t need to hope for a 25 yard smash and grab situation.

If we control the game start to finish, we have enough creativity to score.  If they score because we’ve failed to track a man, then they’ve got enough resilience to keep us out.

Burnley and Brighton are shit.  Barkley played in both, and didn’t do anything going forwards, and was a liability.

if we’re not winning with 15 minutes to go, but have total control, then Yh, bring him on in the hope he might smash one in.

Aside from long range shooting, he offers nothing more than any other midfielder we have.  He has 1 assist this season, he’s not gonna be unlocking any stubborn defence.

• Like 4

Heaton

Elmo     Konsa     Mings     Targett

Nakamba

Sanson            Barkley

Traore                                   El Ghazi

Watkins

3 changes. Have a fresh McGinn and Douglas ready for Wolves (and hopefully Jack!).

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Heaton

Elmo     Konsa     Mings     Targett

Nakamba

Sanson            Barkley

Traore                                   El Ghazi

Watkins

3 changes. Have a fresh McGinn and Douglas ready for Wolves (and hopefully Jack!).

Sorry, no way Barkley comes back into my starting 11. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Sorry, no way Barkley comes back into my starting 11. 

He gets a chance to prove himself against weaker opposition as well as give McGinn a rest. We can start Ramsay again but I'd rather he were eased in instead of starting multiple games in a row. Barkley comes straight back out against Wolves.

Wonder how different both sides seasons might have gone if Martinez hadnt saved that penalty at VP. We dominated their 10 men but found it hard to break them down that day. Thankfully Konsa popped up and we haven’t looked back since.

An early goal again will be lovely, Needs to approach this one right, just like the Leeds game; no room for complacency. Set about them from the off and get ahead, our defence should keep their impotent attack at bay. 15 goals scored in 26 games for them, which in honesty, is pathetic. Bit of pressure on us to get another win, they know they’re dead & buried now; we need to keep up with those above. Think we’ll just nick it

1-2 (Watkins, El Ghazi)

Edited by BleedClaretAndBlue
  • Like 1

So Dean's come out and confirmed Jack won't be available. More than a day before the game.

Wtf was all the palaver about ahead of the Leicester game then, trying to keep the team news from leaking to the media, berating players for adjusting their FPL teams?

Baffling. If you have a policy on not discussing key 'touch and go' injuries pre-match and showing your hand, then stick to it.

Edited by est1874
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He gets a chance to prove himself against weaker opposition as well as give McGinn a rest. We can start Ramsay again but I'd rather he were eased in instead of starting multiple games in a row. Barkley comes straight back out against Wolves.

Proving himself against weak opposition, what will that tell us ? He needs to prove himself regularly against top opposition otherwise he will be of no use at all to us in the future.

Back 4 picks itself.  Then, for me:

----------------------------- Nakamba -----------------------------

Luiz ------------------------------------------------------- Sanson

Personally, I would play a diamond with Ramsey at the peak and Traore in a free role off Watkins.  However, I know Smith will not do this so I am hoping that he sticks with AEG and Traore either side of Ollie.

There is no way I would bring back Barkley for this fixture given his recent performances, unless Smith and his team are seeing something different in training to make them think that the Barkely we saw at the outset of his spell with us is back.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BOF said:

Ah he's not the worst. I think when you're going up against the establishment you're entitled to a bit of siege mentality. I kinda like his grumpiness as it has an integrity for me.

Top man.  Living the dream ... at least he was last season ... and recognising that Dean and Jack are doing the same but with a bit more resource!

• Like 1

My hope is that we're winning by five plus goals with half an hour left to play, so we can then bring on a couple of youngsters, maybe Davis as well, would be good to give him a chance to get a goal and build his confidence up.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1