General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

10 hours ago, claretman said:

I think this is different level.  It’s not just about whether he was onside, it’s an absolute breakdown in communication between ref and VAR and then neither having the nous/bottle to correct their mistake for fear of stepping out of protocol which is absolute bullshit.  

If this was Villa I would be gathering a posse and marching with pitchfork and flaming torch down the to PGMOL hq.

Their job is to make what they feel is the correct decision.

Option 1: as they did, botch everything and just hope it would go away, complete farce of a result

Option 2: stop the game after 10 seconds, realize there was a miscommunication, give the goal (backed up clearly by the images showing he's onside), and continue as it should have been...who other than social media trolls (who cares anyways) would have complained about getting the decision right in the end??

3 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

The worst thing about the whole shambles of yesterday is that it's made non-Liverpool fans have sympathy for Liverpool, and that is not acceptable on any level

I was watching it and thinking that any scenario would be great.  Laugh at Spuds inability to score against nine men or watch the Dippers lose and Klopp have a melt down.  It was a win-win for me!  Thank you to VAR for making me enjoy my Saturday afternoon even more... 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont agree if your referring to the zaniolo goal. Those ones are are always very questionable if he is blocking/interfering with play.

Personally think offside is offside whether you are interfering with play or not

He basically jumped over the ball

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Happened a few weeks back on the first Liverpool goal that Emi couldnt see through a player

Yep. Very similar. How those kind of goals aren’t given as offside is **** mental

• Like 3

Liverpool going to war.

As much as I don't care for their club, we should all be behind them on this. PGMOL are far too powerful, shrouded in secrecy, and the recent Mike Dean comments should have been enough to change. It's time for reform of PL refereeing, this circus has gone on long enough.

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Let’s just get rid of var, human error we can forgive, but human error when we have technology that is suppose to stop human error and also ruins the enjoyment of celebrating a goal has to go

Bang on fella

40 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Let’s just get rid of var, human error we can forgive, but human error when we have technology that is suppose to stop human error and also ruins the enjoyment of celebrating a goal has to go

Agree 100% all fans from each club should get behind this

**** var

48 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Or being in the system from the World Cup. Or get effing chatgpt to ref the games. How bad would it be?!??! Lol.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Liverpool going to war.

As much as I don't care for their club, we should all be behind them on this. PGMOL are far too powerful, shrouded in secrecy, and the recent Mike Dean comments should have been enough to change. It's time for reform of PL refereeing, this circus has gone on long enough.

Maybe if the Liverpool manager had not previously bullied referees and even accusing one of having an agenda against him that I might have some sympathy. The club captain also refused to get off the pitch after his red card a few weeks back

• Like 1

Refereeing is hard.

Sat at the VAR desk isn't.

I don't believe them for one second. I don't think they checked because arrogantly they just thought it was offside.

What sort of chimps have they got in there! When Spurs kick back off "it can't be brought back"...OF COURSE IT CAN. 

Just call the ref. Sorry, got that one wrong, that was a goal.

As soon as Spurs started to take a FK the VAR should have realised and immediately starting screaming “ITS A GOAL, NOT AN OFFSIDE”.

So for some reason not only did the onfield linesman and ref miss it, the VAR missed it, and then the VAR kept quiet after realising it’s own mistake.

It’s 3 / 4 separate errors by the officials, all uncorrected.

I pretty much absolve the on field officials of the blame for it tbh, it was offside, but it wasn't off by a mile, and it's why VAR is there.

The two key blunders are VARs. It's not that they missed offside, they knew it was offside, and for some reason they thought the on field decision was no goal. Then they seem to have done nothing for about a minute.

It's worth noting there are two of them, a VAR and an assistant VAR. So what were they doing to not recognise the on field decision properly, and what were they doing instead of watching the game and seeing that the players weren't going back for a kick off?

It might be that the two of them were sat there for a minute saying "What are they doing? Hang on. Oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit. What do we do?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

As soon as Spurs started to take a FK the VAR should have realised and immediately starting screaming “ITS A GOAL, NOT AN OFFSIDE”.

So for some reason not only did the onfield linesman and ref miss it, the VAR missed it, and then the VAR kept quiet after realising it’s own mistake.

It’s 3 / 4 separate errors by the officials, all uncorrected.

Didn't want to undermine his mate by correcting him maybe?

11 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I 100 % agree

It was better before VAR

I thought VAR was supposed to get rid of the clear and obvious situations. But interfers with every minor thing. It's just tedious.

21 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Didn't want to undermine his mate by correcting him maybe?

I don’t think so, it’s normal business now to change onfield decisions. This wasn’t a subjective call of yellow or red. It’s was a clearly wrong offside call which they will know everyone watching on TV will have learned he wasn’t offside.

Its 2 massive failures.

1) Not realising the onfield decision was offside

2) Not correcting that error when they could see the goal they believed was valid wasn’t given.

Edited by Genie

I think all the negatives of VAR MIGHT be worth it if it was well implemented and we were getting consistent, mostly correct decisions, throughout the league.

But we're not. There's literally no positives to outweigh the negatives.

If even offsides, which were the one thing they were getting correct all the time (dodgy interpretations of the law excluded) can't be relied on then what's the point?

• Like 1

MIke Dean hated working in the VAR office, which is a big reason he retired. I think most hate working in there, these guys signed up to being referees, not sitting in a office monitoring computer screens. I think that's a big part of it and always thought it needs it's own staff, who can cope under pressure, not the people who work on the pitch. It's like going from being a brick layer, to the technical side of house building sitting in a office, you wouldn't be interested.

• Like 1

Â