Formula One - 2021

BOF

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

I suppose we should mention that Lewis Hamilton has signed with Merc :) Although it is only for 1 year which is interesting. Gives both sides some flexibility.

Yep, it’s big news, not as big as if he hadn’t signed tough I guess.

Strong rumour I kept reading was that Lewis want multi-year deal but Mercedes went all Arsene Wenger and insisted on 1 max due to his age.

What do we think of the mooted sprint race on Saturdays instead of quali? I've always thought a shorter race as well as the main one could be good, although it does raise questions about how the qualifying for the sprint race works (I think some kind of simplified qualifying on the Friday is mooted).

Depending on how they do it there is potential for all sorts of interesting outcomes. Will they have restrictions on the setup changes between races? Will the sprint race just determine grid position on the Sunday or could there be a points component to it?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/formula1/55992727

3 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

Sprint race reverse grid based on previous weeks results, finishing places in the sprint race determine starting places on Sunday?

Small-time and not for F1 in my opinion.

Qualify Friday for sprint race Saturday, 1/3 distance of main race and half the points of the main event. Main race Sunday has starting grid based on final positions of the sprint race.

Feels too gimmicky, even for F1.

The teams will probably find a way round it by getting an advantage to finish last in the sprint or something. 

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Qualify Friday for sprint race Saturday, 1/3 distance of main race and half the points of the main event. Main race Sunday has starting grid based on final positions of the sprint race.

Feels too gimmicky, even for F1

What is the point then? I thought the idea of the sprint race was to mix it all up and manufacture some overtaking. If it is just a mini version of the main race then it is even easier for the top teams.

10 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

What is the point then? I thought the idea of the sprint race was to mix it all up and manufacture some overtaking. If it is just a mini version of the main race then it is even easier for the top teams.

I think the point is to have 2.5 events over the weekend, rather than 1.5 as currently. 
I agree with you, Mercedes would just win with an even bigger margin as it stands.

19 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I find it fascinating how, judging from Twitter etc, so many F1 fans seem to be young girls nowadays when 20 years ago I swear it was mostly a sport dads followed.

Probably a result of much younger drivers emerging in the sport recently. 

I remember a massive deal being made about how young Button was when he debuted in F1. He was the youngest driver in history to score a point and he was 20. That's not really a big deal anymore.

The top 3 youngest drivers ever in F1 are all currently on the grid

I think it's more likely to be about how people get into F1 nowadays - for me and I guess people of my generation it was through TV and maybe then the papers or whatever - for young people nowadays, they find out everything about F1 (and most sport) through gaming - then graduate to following the actual sport.

I'm guessing there are a lot of young women who really like F1 games and that leads them onto F1 proper.

IMO there's no way the teams towards the back of the grid will agree to that sprint race.  It all but guarantees they start the feature race at the back, and the extra cost over a season that will result from the extra crashes and wear and tear on the cars and their components from a race instead of a practice session  in an era of minimal extra parts will cripple them.  Thankfully it needs 28 votes out of 30 to pass. Not even the shit that is DRS could help with that pass.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Genie said:

I’d prefer they brought back refuelling. That was a huge variable that made things interesting. 

I’ve been saying the same thing for years, the truly great races and seasons were back in the 2000s when refueling was still a thing, it’s the one great differential when it comes to tactics, currently all we have is a different tyre choice which basically is a gamble on the weather changing or a safety car. I understand why it won’t come back but it definitely should in some form.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

Looks like sprint races have been broadly supported and will now be voted upon before the season starts. 'Up to 3' sprint races this season to see how they go.

Engine development has been frozen from the beginning of 2022 which is big news for Red Bull.

https://twitter.com/Jamesallenonf1/status/1359906262058688512?s=20

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Looks like sprint races have been broadly supported and will now be voted upon before the season starts. 'Up to 3' sprint races this season to see how they go.

Engine development has been frozen from the beginning of 2022 which is big news for Red Bull.

https://twitter.com/Jamesallenonf1/status/1359906262058688512?s=20

Haha Ferrari need a good resurgence on the engine front this season then. Is the freeze from the first race of 2022 or Jan 1st? Hopefully they get the full off season so at least they can create some false hope