NYE Chat - Greatest moment as a villa fan ?

hippo

2 from me:- 1980/81 - the terraces Highbury - as villa lifted the league championship title. A bit tainted by the total non show on the day - as we lost 2-0

Wembley May 2019.

Have experienced real lows - and the agony of relegation, a series of terrible managerial appointments , and almost seen the club in administration - this was a very emotional day for - the release of all that pain at the final - sure 80/81 had the ultimate prize - but this I think topped it ....wots yours ?

One that I always remember, 4th round of the Carling cup, Chelsea, 2006.

Randy paid for the coach trip down, and the atmosphere from start to finish was brilliant.

We were hammered 4-0 but it didn't matter, everyone was still high from the "American Revolution" coming to save us from Ellis.

Obviously turned out a horror show in the end.... But let's be honest, all of us were buzzing at that time.

6 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Two for me. Both fairly low key but memorable all the same. Ron’s first match away at Sheff Wed and away at Wimbledon (Selhurst) when Dalian scored that goal! Both brilliant away days.

Unbelievable, was going to post one of these and never expected anyone to think the same.  Big Ron’s first game in charge away at Sheffield Wednesday was very special for me.  An away game with my dad. Loved the whole day from the drive up, to the game itself, to the drive home.  Brilliant day.

Another one that sticks in the mind was beating Inter Milan at Villa Park 94/95 on penalties. Phil King arms aloft.

Beating Man Utd in the league Cup final.  The Graham Fenton masterclass.

Loved that time and team from McGrath, Ugo, Staunton, Richardson, Saunders, Dalian etc.  

• Like 1

A few weeks before emigration made my trips to VP less frequent, I was in the Holte for that Blues match where we got that last minute penalty. Class.

Free ticket too, as myself and a pal had won it at a table quiz.

Or there was the time I met Stephen Warnock and told him he’d lose his place to Enda Stevens 😇

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Play Off final v Derby with my eldest lad who was 6 at the time. Being there with him, seeing him experience that and breath it in was simply magical. He liked football and Villa before that but that was the moment, that was the moment it entered his blood I could see it in his face. He still talks about that day.

Just me and my boy at Wembley watching the boys get promoted, led by one of us and managed by one of us.

In my 35 years following the team that’s THE moment.

Swap 6yr old lad for 16yr old lad and that's pretty much word for word my post. 

After being 10 mins late for the Fulham final we decided to stay in a hotel in London. I remember waking up in a cheap hotel and seeing our tops hanging next to each other in the wardrobe. 

It's a weekend I'll never forget, 2 generations, 1 dream. 

rsz_screenshot_20201231_192120_comgoogleandroidappsphotos.jpg

12 minutes ago, 1974Centenary said:

It has to be Highbury for me listening to the scores on the ladies transistor behind me,and watching the European cup on the TV.

Yep - I was standing by a bloke with a radio 1-1 at Boro which would have been good enough. Then they shouted a goal at ayresome park .....our little huddle went silent ...."let me be the first to congratulate Aston villa ..." All hell broke loose after that...

There have been many great moments and I would agree with the ones mentioned above,for me others stick out

Beating WBA at home in80/81 with a last minute winner from Withe.A magical night,very cramped felt like there was 60,000 in that night.

Beating Wolves 4-1 in 2018.I was with some lapsed Villa fans and the atmosphere that night was very special.Felt like this was the beginning of the rebirth and we were emerging from our dark days.

I'm 36

Brother is a Leeds fan so 96 for me, that run my mom is a QPR fan, my step dad wolves and my next door neighbours are all arsenal, incredible for me 

Inter is a special game, fan remember that on TV 

Was sat in a bar with my Everton supporting best mate for the 3-2 game so that's probably the maddest thing I've seen

In the stadium I'm not sure, maybe hamburg which was my first away game but that's for the day and not the game, Liverpool in the semi final was incredible for us and our noise, we won that game as much as the players 

Even though I've got great memories myself over the last 30yrs of being a fan, I always love, and feel envious when listening to fans that were lucky enough to be around to see the Championship and European cup winning side. 

I can't begin to imagine what you guys experienced. 

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm 36

Brother is a Leeds fan so 96 for me, that run my mom is a QPR fan, my step dad wolves and my next door neighbours are all arsenal, incredible for me 

I joined the Army in 96. I was in 2nd phase training at the time in Catterick. 

I went to the Naafi to watch it with 1 other villa fan and about 30 lads from Leeds. It made it all the sweeter. 

Sorry to derail the thread (or not) 

What's the best goal you've seen in the flesh? 

Mine was Ashley Young diving header in the peace cup, I think vs atlas, good move and passing then I'm sure an Albrighton cross which young flung himself at and put away

Saw him at the petrol station in oldswinford a week after and said to him did you mean it or just throw yourself at it and get lucky and he had a wry smile and said of course i meant it 

Been lots of matches that's been grand the last 30 years. I think the favourite moment has to be survival last year though. I know it sounds absurd comparing that to the promotion day or trophies at Wembley, but it really was a big thing to survive. Kinda felt like we had done most things right, stuck by Dean, gotten in the right owners. Started playing football the right way. Started planning for the future the right way. Had zero luck with VAR for quite some time, then we managed to stay up. I guess I realised at that point we could get it right again and start fighting for trophies again. 

I have many great memories of games but on a slight tangent, some my favourite times have been away games.  The whole experience, the banter, the chants, the travel down and back from games either on the coaches or when packed into cars, meeting fellow Villa fans, sharing experiences, even some away fans.  I have very fond memories of those especially some decades ago.....priceless!!!

• Like 2

I've a few, leeds cup final an obvious one, blues 5-1, tranmere semi, inter milan, Atletico madrid but more recently it was the brighton win with the Matt Targett last minute winner. Main reason was watching it with my ten year old, the first time he'd experienced that type of emotion and we were only 10 yards from the goal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Unbelievable, was going to post one of these and never expected anyone to think the same.  Big Ron’s first game in charge away at Sheffield Wednesday was very special for me.  An away game with my dad. Loved the whole day from the drive up, to the game itself, to the drive home.  Brilliant day.

Another one that sticks in the mind was beating Inter Milan at Villa Park 94/95 on penalties. Phil King arms aloft.

Loved that time and team from McGrath, Ugo, Staunton, Richardson, Saunders, Dalian etc.  

I was with my dad too. Sadly no longer with us. Glad you had a similar experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

ahh that reminded me of Deano’s debut against his old club Liverpool that he just signed from, and us winning 4-2 and him scoring twice.....fantastic!!!

• Like 3

Â