Please tell me when to stop laughing at SHA

rjw63

Can someone tell me why THEY are called SHA ?

I am sure there are a few overseas Villa supporters that want to know the answer as well.

They have had 4 names Small Heath Alliance, Small heath, Birmingham, then Birmingham City, and been shite under all of them.

They finished 9th in the top flight once, don't you know

:crylaugh:

I am sure there are a few overseas Villa supporters that want to know the answer as well.

They have had 4 names Small Heath Alliance, Small heath, Birmingham, then Birmingham City, and been shite under all of them.

And one the 4 most important honour in English Football. Once.

They actually finished 6th once in div 1 in the 1950`s

Did they really?

I thought that season under McLeish when they finished 9th was hailed as their best ever top flight finish?

That was only because they were above us (and yes they did finish 6th once amazingly)

Did they really?

I thought that season under McLeish when they finished 9th was hailed as their best ever top flight finish?

That was only because they were above us (and yes they did finish 6th once amazingly)

we finished 6th that season when they finished 9th ;)

sorry, but even if one admits the inaugural League Cup was a bit of a joke, they have won it twice... ermm, and in that first final they beat us... In addition, they have made the Fairs Cup final twice (60 & 61), FA Cup final once in '56 and finished sixth place in the league in 1956. I despise the club but if we're going to be honest fans of Aston Villa, let's be honest. Makes us look silly if we don't get our facts right. Fact 1: They've always been in our shadow.

sorry, but even if one admits the inaugural League Cup was a bit of a joke, they have won it twice... ermm, and in that first final they beat us... In addition, they have made the Fairs Cup final twice (60 & 61), FA Cup final once in '56 and finished sixth place in the league in 1956. I despise the club but if we're going to be honest fans of Aston Villa, let's be honest. Makes us look silly if we don't get our facts right. Fact 1: They've always been in our shadow.

Ok, facts, they have reached the FA Cup final twice the first time in 1931 or 1932, but they did not qualify for the Fairs cup, the organisers wanted a team made up from them the Villa and i think WBA as well, as city representative teams were wanted instead of clubs, but Villa and WBA were not interested in the competition. The Inter city fairs cup was only open to cities that had held the the Inter City trade fairs, and the competiition was not run by UEFA and is not part of their European records even to this day, so even less for SHA to boast about.

Ok, facts, they have reached the FA Cup final twice the first time in 1931 or 1932, but they did not qualify for the Fairs cup, the organisers wanted a team made up from them the Villa and i think WBA as well, as city representative teams were wanted instead of clubs, but Villa and WBA were not interested in the competition. The Inter city fairs cup was only open to cities that had held the the Inter City trade fairs, and the competiition was not run by UEFA and is not part of their European records even to this day, so even less for SHA to boast about.

Indeed. The Fairs cup was not a major competition. It got plenty of revisionist history as it became the UEFA cup and the UEFA cup was an extremely glamorous competition in the 70s, 80s & 90s but lets not forget the Fairs cup was an invitation only friendly competition designed purely to encourage travel and trade between major European cities. You couldnt qualify for it, it wasnt UEFA sanctioned and you couldnt have more than one club from the same city in the competition in a given season. When Newcastle won it in 1969 they had finished 10th in the previous season and were only invited because the a lot clubs who finished above them were not interested or not eligible due to the one club per city rule.

We did, we beat Rotherham in the final. SHA beat us in the final two years later, the third ever league cup. Some people dont take the first five years of the competition as seriously as the rest of it because in those early years it was a two legged final played at the respective home grounds of the clubs involved.

It moved to a one off final at Wembley in 1966/67.

Â